The Ashes Tour 2013

England are blooding some youngsters in the ODIs, a good move I think. I'd be surprised if Australia don't do the same.

England will rest Alastair Cook, James Anderson, Ian Bell, Stuart Broad and Graeme Swann for the forthcoming one-day international series with Australia.

Eoin Morgan will lead an experimental squad which includes five uncapped players: Chris Jordan, Jamie Overton, Michael Carberry, Gary Ballance and Boyd Rankin.

England will play a one-off match against Ireland in Dublin on September 3, followed by five ODIs against the Aussies starting at Headingley on September 6.

All-rounder Jordan has been a revelation since swapping Surrey for Sussex last winter and is one of the leading wicket-takers in county cricket this season.

Carberry's call-up is less of a surprise - the Hampshire opener has been in prolific form in limited overs cricket and is already in the England Twenty20 squad.

Yorkshire batsman Ballance, who was born in Zimbabwe, is viewed as a potential Ashes tourist this winter. After being tipped as the 'next Graeme Hick' as a teenager at Derbyshire, he is finally fulfilling his promise at Headingley.

And Warwickshire fast bowler Rankin is yet to play for England but has been in limited overs squads.

The call-up of Somerset youngster Overton is perhaps the biggest surprise. A fast bowling all-rounder, he has impressed in limited-overs cricket this summer and has played for England U19s and the Lions.

Kevin Pietersen, Joe Root and Jonathan Trott will miss the trip to Ireland but will rejoin the group for the Australia series.

Ballance, Nottinghamshire batsman James Taylor and Hampshire spinner Danny Briggs will drop out after the Ireland match to make way.

National selector Geoff Miller said: "Following a very intense period of cricket this summer we have decided to rest a number of senior players which will allow them to recover from a heavy workload over the last three months and to prepare for the tour of Australia which begins in eight weeks.

"This creates an excellent opportunity for players who have impressed in county cricket and for England Lions recently to test themselves at international level as we continue to build a squad ahead of the ICC Cricket World Cup, which is less than 18 months away.

"There are a number of very experienced one-day players in the squad alongside players who are new to international cricket and we are expecting a very tough challenge both from a strong Ireland side and then from Australia in what will no doubt be a very competitive NatWest series."

With Australia also making a raft of changes for the series - only seven of their 18-man squad played in the Ashes - both countries clearly have their eye on the return Ashes series this winter, which starts on October 31 with a thee-day match against Western Australia.

Cook, Anderson, Bell, Broad and Swann have been almost ever present throughout as England regained the Ashes, reached the final of the Champions Trophy and beat New Zealand 2-0 in their home Test series.

It will be the first time Cook has been rested from a squad since he took over the Test captaincy 12 months ago.

England ODI squad vs IrelandEoin Morgan (Middlesex) (Capt), Gary Ballance (Yorkshire), Ravi Bopara (Essex), Danny Briggs (Hampshire), Jos Buttler (Somerset), Michael Carberry (Hampshire), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Chris Jordan (Sussex), Jamie Overton (Somerset), Boyd Rankin (Warwickshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), James Taylor (Nottinghamshire), James Tredwell (Kent), Luke Wright (Sussex)

England squad for NatWest ODI seriesEoin Morgan (Middlesex) (Capt), Ravi Bopara (Essex), Jos Buttler (Somerset), Michael Carberry (Hampshire), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Chris Jordan (Sussex), Jamie Overton (Somerset), Kevin Pietersen (Surrey), Boyd Rankin (Warwickshire), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), James Tredwell (Kent), Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire), Luke Wright (Sussex)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe they were expressing their opinion of the pitch?

Rather silly, though; especially in the wake of Monty's actions!

Meanwhile, in the women's series:

England moved within one win of regaining the Women's Ashes as Sarah Taylor inspired a 15-run victory over Australia in the first Twenty20 match.

Rather silly, though; especially in the wake of Monty's actions!

England moved within one win of regaining the Women's Ashes as Sarah Taylor inspired a 15-run victory over Australia in the first Twenty20 match.

I'm not trying to be controversial, but is anyone here interested in women's cricket?

I have zero interest and don't know anyone who ever talks about it

• Like 1

The Herald Sun claim several England players relieved themselves on the pitch as they celebrated their Ashes series victory

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/cricket/englands-ashes-heroes-caught-urinating-2224170#ixzz2d98nrc5z

Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Yes, some scumbag grass of an Aussie reporter trying to stir up trouble.

Fortunately the British public will see it for what it was: The victors having a post match piss-up and having the occasional slash nearby rather than stumbling alway the way back to the pavilion.

Really this is just straw-clutching to try and make the convicts feel better about themselves.

Pathetic really.

Malcolm Conn is a total tosser - just ask David Warner. Waxwarne has now jumped ont he bandwagon calling Englan arrogant etc, rather ironic really. Always had a lot of respect for Warne as a player and an analyst, but he's been found out to be a just another bitter shackle dragger.

I can't beleive it's eben made the headlines - anyone that's played the game, or any sport would really not have an significant issue about this - it's hardly the crime of the century. I remember that Flintoff pissed in the garden of 10 Downing Street and everryone thought that was funny - I've certainly pissed on a few cricket grounds over the years.

I'm not trying to be controversial, but is anyone here interested in women's cricket?

An Ashes contest is an Ashes contest.

Rather silly, though; especially in the wake of Monty's actions!

Does that mean you are interested in women's cricket? Do u watch the games?

I think The Convicts will take a win in any version at the moment.

To be honest though, I think the current format of The Womens Ashes is a bit of a joke.

There are certainyl some good women cricketers around and the standard has improved greatly over the years, but it jsut does not have the intensity of the mens game; we have had several England internationals play in our local league, and they never really stood out - they were ok, but not setting any headlines.

I'm interested in England beating the Aussies again. But seriously, what offends you so much about it that you can't just scan the post and ignore it?

I'm interested in England beating the Aussies again. But seriously, what offends you so much about it that you can't just scan the post and ignore it?

Looks like another England victory.

"The aim of English Cricket is in fact, mainly to beat Australia". (Jim Laker) :-)

Edited by mrtoad

So there's a question........genuine question, which other Australian Captain in the last 30 years would have declared on Monday and given England a chance under those circumstances in an Ashes test series?

I don't see what the fuss is about. It was a risk-free exercise, an opportunity to try and win, knowing that if it went pear shaped he'd have the light to save his bacon.

That's why he was badgering the umpires for light in the end.

Had it come off, he would be hailed as the brave man, etc., but the truth is it was a calculated risk - go for the win, worst case scenario the draw everyone expected.

Had the light still been the batsmen's pregrogative as it used to be, you can bet you arse he would have batted it out.

Clarke was trying to take the moral high ground, and hope that England were going to be negative, that way he could take a "moral victory", I think he fell into the trap of listening to too much BS from that wax dummy Warne, and thinking that his team is better than it really is. The cold light of day, England did not play as well as they are capable, but won 3-0, and would have been 4-0 without the light nonsense. When it counted, England always did enough - Australia are like Arsenal, some good approach play, but can't finish - and will be no higher than 3rd witht he current crop.

The whine in Australia this year is very bitter.

Agreed about the incident after the match, no doubt the the pitch has been well washed down by now.

What beats me is this was hours after the match had finished, why were the Aussie reporters still there as they certainly did not have much to write home about?

Nothing offends me about the post.

I'm asking a genuine question. Are people interested in Women's cricket? So far it would seem yourself and 7by7 are. I am interested what the attraction is.

What beats me is this was hours after the match had finished, why were the Aussie reporters still there as they certainly did not have much to write home about?

Judging by the reaction to the article here it is apparent they had plenty to stay and write about.

It would seem though that you English blokes are more upset and outraged by the article itself than any Australian I have spoken to is concerned with the incident itself

Looks like another England victory.

"The aim of English Cricket is in fact, mainly to beat Australia". (Jim Laker) :-)

... and that's why like playing you guys in the Ashes so much.

The tradition

The arm wrestle

Win, lose or draw ... still a series I anticipate.

Actually neither of us are at the Top of the league ... that honour, I believe, belongs to India. But to watch a 5 day game on a Delhi Dustbowl ... no thanks.

About the Woman's Ashes ... zero interest.

Good luck to them though, but I find few female sports to watch enjoyable.

Netball is one of them because the contest between Australia and NZ is normally a coin toss either way and rarely more then a point or two in it. Quite enjoyable to watch.

Also enjoy the Woman's Golf ... the fluidity of their swing is an action I'd love to have.

None of them are particular eye-candy, so I know it's watching the sport that I like ... not the woman in the sport. But, the female Ashes ... insert yawning smilie.

My opinion only ...

Judging by the reaction to the article here it is apparent they had plenty to stay and write about.

It would seem though that you English blokes are more upset and outraged by the article itself than any Australian I have spoken to is concerned with the incident itself

Like I said, no-one likes a grass.

Like I said, no-one likes a grass.

Journalists are supposed to report on what they see. No-one likes people pissing on their grass.

If they can't enjoy themselves sensibly, perhaps they shouldn't drink in public

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

No one likes a grass, Bookman. What goes on tour stays on tour. I'd imagine the Aussie players won't be too impressed either.

I agree. Warner wouldn't have been after the English players dobbed him in for giving Joe Root a friendly tickle.

Shane Watson grassed his own man

No one likes a grass, Bookman. What goes on tour stays on tour. I'd imagine the Aussie players won't be too impressed either.

I agree.  Warner wouldn't have been after the English players dobbed him in for giving Joe Root a friendly tickle.

What is this obsession you have with "grassing"? Isn't it a term criminals use regarding police informants?

Chicog; journalists reporting an incident they witnessed is not grassing!

God, you're beginning to sound like you belong in an old episode of the Sweeney; "I aint no grass, Regan! I 'ate grasses!"

A silly incident, spotted and reported on, those involved have apologised.

Now been forgotten by all; except you. I suggest you forget it and move on, too.

• Like 1

Bookman, I am interested in cricket. I enjoy watching all forms of the game, at all levels.

Though I must admit it's been a long time since I've sat virtually alone at The Oval in May to watch Surrey in a county match!

You're probably not getting the women's games out your way; which is a pity.

The last two are on before the men's T20s, so if they are shown where you are, have a look. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Some years ago I used to play indoor cricket in Perth and, in the same group as us, was a woman's team made up of members of the Western Australian state outdoor cricket team. This was in the off season.

We had some fairly reasonable players in our team, but would struggle to beat the girls. Honours were probably about even over a couple of seasons. They knew how to play, could bowl pretty fast, and were very competitive.

I have to say, none were what I would consider particularly attractive, and I'm sure they were not interested in any of us guys.

While I have taken note of the Australian woman's cricket team scores at various times, I would never go out of my way to watch them play in the outdoor game. I don't like the fact they are playing for the "ashes" in England. They should organize their own trophy with their own traditions.

Despite Australian cricket's poor showing and their general decline overall, this has been an interesting series, and this thread has been enjoyable with knowledgeable and reasonable contributors (with one notable Scottish exception).

It's a pity a couple of nasty and insulting fools have had to pop in late to exhibit their unimaginative and intellectually starved personalities.

Bookman, I am interested in cricket. I enjoy watching all forms of the game, at all levels.

Though I must admit it's been a long time since I've sat virtually alone at The Oval in May to watch Surrey in a county match!

You're probably not getting the women's games out your way; which is a pity.

The last two are on before the men's T20s, so if they are shown where you are, have a look. You may be pleasantly surprised.

The games are probably online somewhere but I have to admit I haven't seen one. I should check one out to see if I find it interesting to watch.

I do like the points system covering the three types of game they use to decide the winner of the series

God, you're beginning to sound like you belong in an old episode of the Sweeney; "I aint no grass, Regan! I 'ate grasses!"

Now been forgotten by all; except you. I suggest you forget it and move on, too.

Alright, Snitch then.

Alright, Snitch then.

If I didn't want to see it in the papers, I'd not piss on a cricket pitch when there was journalists about.

If they can't behave like gentlemen, then they should stop drinking in public.

SC

I agree. Warner wouldn't have been after the English players dobbed him in for giving Joe Root a friendly tickle.

What is this obsession you have with "grassing"? Isn't it a term criminals use regarding police informants?

Given the incident regarding the England players, grass is more than appropriate. However, Shane Watson reported Warner over the incident in Walkabout, if that makes you feel better.

As for Malcolm Conn , he's not exactly the best cricket reporter, sort of a Red Top journalist with little knowledge of the game.