The Ashes Tour 2013

Are you saying the Poms are so feeble of mind that a few words would upset their sporting prowess?

No, but I am saying that the Aussies think so!

England have tried to calm it down; the Aussies have rejected any truce; and said why:

Ashes 2013-14: Mitchell Johnson rules out a truce with England

"Their coach wants a truce from what I've heard. That's not going to change from our end," said Johnson.

"I think it's worked for us. I definitely think they're rattled by it. They don't like it at all."

The whole purpose of sledging, these days, is not, unfortunately, a bit of harmless banter between mates. It is to put the opposition off, make them lose concentration.

Who would consider comments about punching a member of the opposition or the desire to break limbs to be harmless banter?

It used to be, even in the Bodyline tour, that no matter what happened on the pitch the teams would be happy to share a few beers after the day's play; sadly the Aussies no longer want to do so.

It's not all one sided, and I'm not attempting to put all the blame on the Aussies. The English were just as guilty in the first test as the Aussies. It is pure chance that Channel 9's error meant it was an Australian, Clarke, whose remarks were broadcast and not an Englishman.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know that I'm very old-fashioned to make this comment, but I do hanker for 'the spirit of cricket'.

The days when you nicked it, you walked.

When you said you caught it ... your word was accepted.

When the captain of the Aussie team invited all the Poms and their partners over for a BBQ to his place and supplied the beer and the steaks.

But then again ... I am a Romantic.

I know that I'm very old-fashioned to make this comment, but I do hanker for 'the spirit of cricket'.

When the captain of the Aussie team invited all the Poms and their partners over for a BBQ to his place and supplied the beer and the steaks.

Totally agree and it was a better sport for it.

Tiger Woods has broken an unspoken rule this season, was chastised by fellow pro's past and present but was unapologetic...seems like the only purity left remains in tennis.............and cycling of coursesmile.png

Totally agree and it was a better sport for it.

Tiger Woods has broken an unspoken rule this season, was chastised by fellow pro's past and present but was unapologetic...seems like the only purity left remains in tennis.............and cycling of coursesmile.png

I agree also, but there's too much money in it now.

Bresnan bolsters tourists

England is a step closer to unleashing its first-choice pace attack against Australia after Tim Bresnan gave the visitors a much-needed morale boost with an excellent all-round return to competitive cricket on Thursday.

The burly paceman could not have done more to impress England selectors a week out from the start of the second Test by starring with bat and ball for an England Performance Programme team in Brisbane.

Although the opposition was no stronger than a Queensland second XI, Bresnan's 4-31 will give the England brains trust plenty to think about heading to Adelaide. His effort with the ball followed an unbeaten 57 in the first innings though his day finished on a dampener with a duck in the second innings.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/bresnan-bolsters-tourists-20131128-2yeco.html

Edited by BookMan

Bresnan bolsters tourists

England is a step closer to unleashing its first-choice pace attack against Australia after Tim Bresnan gave the visitors a much-needed morale boost with an excellent all-round return to competitive cricket on Thursday.

The burly paceman could not have done more to impress England selectors a week out from the start of the second Test by starring with bat and ball for an England Performance Programme team in Brisbane.

Although the opposition was no stronger than a Queensland second XI, Bresnan's 4-31 will give the England brains trust plenty to think about heading to Adelaide. His effort with the ball followed an unbeaten 57 in the first innings though his day finished on a dampener with a duck in the second innings.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/bresnan-bolsters-tourists-20131128-2yeco.html

Gawarrnnnnnn Bressie my son. That's just what I want to hear... :)

Neither side can claim to be the innocents in this, but England did extend an olive branch, which Australia declined.

The Australians are obviously doing their best to wind up the England team, on and off the pitch.

One has to wonder why.

Is it because they know that on cricketing ability alone they don't stand a chance of winning back the urn?

The truce offer is just more mind games.

We didn't win the first test because of sledging. After day 1, we batted and bowled better.

Neither side can claim to be the innocents in this, but England did extend an olive branch, which Australia declined.

The Australians are obviously doing their best to wind up the England team, on and off the pitch.

One has to wonder why.

Is it because they know that on cricketing ability alone they don't stand a chance of winning back the urn?

We didn't win the first test because of sledging. After day 1, we batted and bowled better.

That's a good point you make tw25rw. Now you mention it I have to agree it was a case of mind games from England offering a truce on sledging

One has to wonder why.

That's just your opinion. I think it was down to knowing more swear words, and therefore looking bigger and cleverer.

Australia certainly did play better than England from the second day on; I don't think anyone can deny that.

In which case one has to wonder why they have refused the offer from England to calm things down.

1-0 to the Aussies, but 4 to play. I still reckon a draw is favourite

Banter and wind ups similar to the examples given by myself and others earlier are one thing.

Comments about wanting to punch an opponent or break an opponent's arm are another; and completely unacceptable in my view.

That the Aussies were clearly the better side in the first test cannot be disputed, it was self evident. However on the question of sledging, it is clearly getting out of hand. IMHO it is not for the players and the two coaches to dictate on this. Time for the ICC to instruct the match referees and umpires what is and what is not acceptable. This has clearly gone beyond what could be described as good natured "banter". Back in the day i played cricket to a reasonable standard, and apart from the occasional light hearted leg pulling between a couple of opposing players who were known to each other, it was pretty much unheard of. Now on every village green, local leagues etc, it is rife. It is even a problem with school kids cricket, as we all know kids imitate their hero's. Teachers are complaining that kids as young as 9 are doing it. Test match cricketers should remember that they are role models for these kids. David Lloyd's comments were very pertinent, a constant barrage of personal, expletive laden comments of a personal nature, completely unrelated to cricket is IMO unacceptable. In some of the examples given above, ie, the Viv Richards/ Greg Thomas exchange, there was nothing spiteful about it, in fact Richards and Thomas were mates and had actually been partying together the previous evening. Likewise with the other examples given, good natured. Now we have a situation where certain players are targeted with a constant barrage, especially young players making their debuts, who have enough to contend with, without this deliberate attempt to put them off. The fielding side should be told that once the batsman has taken his guard and the bowler is ready to start his run in, all chatter should cease. As it is now, batsmen are waiting for the delivery in the cauldron of the Test arena, yet right up to the point of delivery they are on the receiving end of a deliberate attempt to put them off and undermine their concentration. Lets call this what it is, a subtle form of cheating. I can think of no other sport where this would be tolerated. Imagine a rugby player, psyching himself up for a conversion attempt, with opposing players stood behind him saying, "you're gonna miss this, you're f-----g useless, i f----d your wife last night, etc etc. Absolutely unthinkable. It has probably got to the stage now in Test cricket where close fielders are put there not so much for their fielding ability, but for their sledging ability! Time i think for some basic ground rules, strictly enforced with meaningful sanctions, it is pointless fining a player on a couple of million dollars a year 20% of his match fee, a couple of thousand or so. At the very least, once a batsman has taken guard and waiting for the delivery all 'yap' should stop. That would be a good start. Otherwise as sure as night follows day, sooner or later someone will snap and there will be a physical response. When that happens of course, all parties concerned, administrators etc, will be wringing their hands and avoiding any kind of responsibility.

• Like 2

Australia certainly did play better than England from the second day on; I don't think anyone can deny that.

In which case one has to wonder why they have refused the offer from England to calm things down.

1-0 to the Aussies, but 4 to play. I still reckon a draw is favourite

If you were the best in the world at verbal abuse in cricket why would you want to calm it down?

Ofcourse, as Ian Chapple points out, lets hope the perpetrators take it like men if one of them takes a nasty dig.

Lets face it, its nothing more than a form of bullying and all bullies deserve a kicking, right? At the end of the day its not just banter in this series, theres some really unpleasant stuff going on and in my view some of the victims have every right to take some action in return

One of the things I hope is that both the standard of sledging (both sides), and the English Cricket Teams performance lift above their current pedestrian level.

I don't think the English team could play any worse than that. They were absolutely pathetic in the 1st test.

Perhaps if Anderson kept his big gob shut he might bowl better too.

• Like 1

One of the things I hope is that both the standard of sledging (both sides), and the English Cricket Teams performance lift above their current pedestrian level.

I don't think the English team could play any worse than that. They were absolutely pathetic in the 1st test.

Agreed ... we want a competitive English side here, as I'm sure you appreciated when the Aussies put up a decent fight over there.

One sided contests are a boar or a bore ... laugh.png

Anderson is a World Class Player ... I'd just wish he'd let his Cricket do the talking ...

Agreed ... we want a competitive English side here, as I'm sure you appreciated when the Aussies put up a decent fight over there.

One sided contests are a boar or a bore ... laugh.png

Anderson is a World Class Player ... I'd just wish he'd let his Cricket do the talking ...

Everytime time i've spoken cricket to an aussie over the past three or four years has agreed we want competitive ashes series and not the McGrath/Warne era drubbings. The interesting thing about theses two sides is they both have the ability to play top level but both too are prone to a collapse at anytime!

• Like 1

I for one wouldn't be disappointed if England didn't improve.

After the long and terrible beatings we've received, I would like to have a comprehensive win.

I'll take any win to be honest.

Having said that, I agree with you that the next test in Adelaide might be a draw due to

the drop-in pitch, which will make the 3rd test in Perth vital.

I still think the "sledging" issues has been blown out of all proportion though.

There was hardly a word spoken in anger for the first 4 days and if Clarkes

comments weren't broadcast, it would've have been an issue.

It's basically up to the captains and umpires to make sure it doesn't get out of hand.

Everytime time i've spoken cricket to an aussie over the past three or four years has agreed we want competitive ashes series and not the McGrath/Warne era drubbings. The interesting thing about theses two sides is they both have the ability to play top level but both too are prone to a collapse at anytime!

I'd take the Mcgrath/Warne era drubbings anyday.

Or if i cant have that I would take a competitive ashes series, Australia winning 5-0

• Like 1

Ground announcer stood down for 'inappropriate' introduction of Monty Panesar

Monty Panesar was the victim of an alleged racial gaffe which led to Cricket Australia sacking the ground announcer midway during England's game with the Chairman's XI in Alice Springs.

Traeger Park ground announcer David Nixon, an ABC employee, was given his marching orders by CA shortly before lunch on Saturday after introducing Panesar, who is a Sikh, in an Indian accent.

"Cricket Australia deemed the conduct of the PA announcer as inappropriate and as such he will take no further part in the match," said a CA spokesperson.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/cricket/ground-announcer-stood-down-for-inappropriate-introduction-of-monty-panesar-20131130-2yihw.html

Edited by BookMan

Monty Panesar was the victim of an alleged racial gaffe which led to Cricket Australia sacking the ground announcer midway during England's game with the Chairman's XI in Alice Springs.

Traeger Park ground announcer David Nixon, an ABC employee, was given his marching orders by CA shortly before lunch on Saturday after introducing Panesar, who is a Sikh, in an Indian accent.

"Cricket Australia deemed the conduct of the PA announcer as inappropriate and as such he will take no further part in the match," said a CA spokesperson.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/cricket/ground-announcer-stood-down-for-inappropriate-introduction-of-monty-panesar-20131130-2yihw.html

Poor old Mr Patel, the announcer.

I find, if I want a Johnny Foreigner to understand me, it helps to adopt a semblance of his accent. That's the way they talk, after all.

Why was he not disciplined for announcing the Australian cricketers with an Australian accent?

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 2

Poor old Mr Patel, the announcer.

I find, if I want a Johnny Foreigner to understand me, it helps to adopt a semblance of his accent. That's the way they talk, after all.

Why was he not disciplined for announcing the Australian cricketers with an Australian accent?

SC

Be interesting to hear.

Someone with a funny accent mocking someone with a funny accent. biggrin.png

Looks like the ABC is very very sensitive these days...

Ashes: ABC ground announcer denies making racial slur against Monty Panesar in England tour match

An ABC employee stood down as a ground announcer at England's tour match in Alice Springs says he did not feign an Indian accent when introducing Monty Panesar.

Cricket Australia (CA) removed David Nixon on Saturday after he allegedly introduced Panesar in an Indian accent to the crowd.

"It comes as a complete surprise to me to be at the centre of a controversy about racial slurring, and I absolutely refute any allegation that I feigned an Indian accent," he said.

Read Full article here

Edited by BookMan