The Ashes Tour 2013

When the going gets tough, the pissweak go home,

Swann always loved being a front runner, but lacks fortitude when things turn around,

A bad way for England's best ever spinner to finish.

First Trott..Now Swann....Will Anderson be next?

I think the big question for this weeks test will be whether Broad plays or not.

Yeah good point Will. I had forgotten about him with all the other goings-on

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I apologise, I thought you meant his poor form as a bowler.

I see now that you meant poor form as in unacceptable behaviour.

However, I still believe that Swann's decision to go now was taken in what he considers to be the best interests of the team in particular and English cricket in general.

Though it is obvious from social media and press comments that I am in the minority.

I'm 50/50 on whether or not Swann's decision was correct. Maybe it was a combination of injury, bad form and

the Ashes already lost.

If he's genuinely had enough, I think it's the correct call. Wouldn't be fair for him and the team to play the remaining

2 tests if his heart wasn't in it.

As suggested in another post, if England were 3 nil up, he probably would've played on. The timing is strange though.

The only other mid-series retirement I can think of was Damien Martyn when he was 2 tests in and the next one was at his

home city of Perth. That seemed to take everyone by surprise, team mates included. But then again, Marto always seemed

to march to the beat of a different drum.

I for one will miss Swanny, mainly because he was a character and heaven knows we need some of them.

Graeme Swann accuses players of being up their own backsides

Retired English off-spinner Graeme Swann has sparked speculation about team disunity by accusing unnamed players of being "up their own backsides".

Swann did not specifically name anyone, but his comments have been interpreted as referring to England teammates. Telegraph writer Derek Pringle wrote that it "is well known that he and Kevin Pietersen do not send each other Xmas cards".

''Some people playing the game at the minute have no idea how far up their own backsides they are,'' Swann said after his retirement announcement.

Advertisement

''It will bite them on the arse one day and when it does I hope they look back and are embarrassed about how they carry on.''

Read the entire sorry story in full here

Not only does Swanny disrupt the entire team dynamics, preparation and confidence with a shock mid series retirement, now he lobs in a hand grenade to clean up any surviving harmony! clap2.gif

**Unless he is talking about the Australian players of course giggle.gif

Edited by BookMan

Not only does Swanny disrupt the entire team dynamics, preparation and confidence with a shock mid series retirement, now he lobs in a hand grenade to clean up any surviving harmony! clap2.gif

Swann replying to Michael Vaughan via twitter "

@MichaelVaughan don't jump to conclusions Vaughney. I wasn't talking about the England dressing room or anyone in it. You too bbc''.

Looks like we'll have to wait for his bookbiggrin.png

Swann replying to Michael Vaughan via twitter "

@MichaelVaughan don't jump to conclusions Vaughney. I wasn't talking about the England dressing room or anyone in it. You too bbc''.

Looks like we'll have to wait for his bookbiggrin.png

He is just extending his Swann song as long as he can

• Like 1

On another note

South Africa abandon run chase against India

India 280 and 421 ; South Africa 244 and 7-450 (Match drawn)

With a tantalising 16 runs needed off 18 balls and a world record run chase within their sights, South Africa have turned down the chance to make history, settling for a draw in the first Test of the series against India.

When top-scorer Faf du Plessis was run out off the fifth ball of the 133rd over, having hit a majestic 134, the batsmen in the middle - Vernon Philander and Dale Steyn - opted to bat out for the draw rather than chase the total.

South Africa skipper Graeme Smith defended the controversial decision to pursue the 458 runs needed to win the opening match at the Wanderers.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/south-africa-abandon-run-chase-against-india-20131223-2zti0.html

Surely with 3 wickets left in the shed, they would've had a go and if they lost a wicket, they could of

shut up shop.

Doesn't surprise me about the South Africans though. They've always crapped themselves under pressure.

I remember when the Aussies, led by Steve Waugh used to always beat them in the big games. They used

to lose the unwinnable games.

If I was a SA supporter and they started blocking with 3 overs to go, I would've been livid.

On another note

With a tantalising 16 runs needed off 18 balls and a world record run chase within their sights, South Africa have turned down the chance to make history, settling for a draw in the first Test of the series against India.

When top-scorer Faf du Plessis was run out off the fifth ball of the 133rd over, having hit a majestic 134, the batsmen in the middle - Vernon Philander and Dale Steyn - opted to bat out for the draw rather than chase the total.

South Africa skipper Graeme Smith defended the controversial decision to pursue the 458 runs needed to win the opening match at the Wanderers.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/south-africa-abandon-run-chase-against-india-20131223-2zti0.html

Surely with 3 wickets left in the shed, they would've had a go and if they lost a wicket, they could of

shut up shop.

Doesn't surprise me about the South Africans though. They've always crapped themselves under pressure.

I remember when the Aussies, led by Steve Waugh used to always beat them in the big games. They used

If I was a SA supporter and they started blocking with 3 overs to go, I would've been livid.

I've only read the one report about it, but it seems odd. They kept saying it was up to the two players on the pitch to decide about the win or draw.

<deleted>? It's a team game, not up to them at all

Now, you will have to trust me with these 2 links.

They both go to the ABC Facebook.

They are both sound bytes.

The first one is a memory ... closing moments of a favourite moment.

Here ... Ashes end.

Now, one comment from that made into something quite catchy.

I'm liking this ... Stand Up

I'm liking it a lot ... biggrin.png

Edited by David48

I hope you remember ... I'm a huge fan of the Barmy Army ... them and the Caribbean guys, steel drum band.

When my kids are old enough to remember ... my wish is the Barmy Army is still as passionate so they can enjoy that.

When I never understand with you soap dodgers is how can you get the Barmy Army so right ... and the soccer hooligans so wrong.

Speaking of soccer ... we did provide the venue for a World Record recently.

95,000 Liverpool fans sing You'll Never Walk Alone at the MCG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brNec5cPhD4

Stand up, Stand up ... Stand up if you're 3 - nil up

When I never understand with you soap dodgers is how can you get the Barmy Army so right ... and the soccer hooligans so wrong.

A very good question; especially as the original Barmy Army (England's 1994/5 disastrous tour under Atherton) were football supporters and sang football songs.

If it's available where you are, have a read of Everywhere We Went by Ben Dirs; Simon & Schuster 2011.

I'll forgive your use of the execrable word 'soccer' as you are an Aussie and don't know any better!

I hope you remember ... I'm a huge fan of the Barmy Army ... them and the Caribbean guys, steel drum band.

When my kids are old enough to remember ... my wish is the Barmy Army is still as passionate so they can enjoy that.

What Soccer Hooligans are you referring to?

England is so far down the Football hooligan table right now, it's almost negligible.

& you may have provided the venue for that world record but we provided the song & the singers!

Edited by mad mary

^^ MM ... Indeed we did (supply the venue) ... hence my careful phrasing, not to claim this great support and outpouring of emotion as our (Aussies) own.

Mind you, I'm sure many were ex-pats Poms, now naturalised Aussies.

Well done supporters of Liverpool ... thumbsup.gif

Football hooliganism is back on the rise with 2,456 match day arrests for the 2012/3 season.

However, while figures rose from the record low of 2011/2, they're still down hugely from the total for 2009/10, which was 3,391.

^^ MM ... Indeed we did (supply the venue) ... hence my careful phrasing, not to claim this great support and outpouring of emotion as our (Aussies) own.

Mind you, I'm sure many were ex-pats Poms, now naturalised Aussies.

Well done supporters of Liverpool ... thumbsup.gif

Football hooliganism is back on the rise with 2,456 match day arrests for the 2012/3 season.

However, while figures rose from the record low of 2011/2, they're still down hugely from the total for 2009/10, which was 3,391.

Sorry to pish on your chips but match day arrests doesn't equate to football hooliganism.

Supporters can be arrested for littering ,chanting "Yid army" or smoking a doobie in the concourse.Of course there will be the odd violent incident or drunken skirmish but not on the scale of yesteryear .

Anyway back to the cricket...3-3 to date(this year) ,this one's the deciderwhistling.gif

Isn't great to see the Poms back where they are best. Your spinner has left his side in the most cowardice of situations.

The pressure eh? Maybe he has a point, ponces like Pieterson et al should hold there heads in shame.

Lol, half way through a series, two players gone home (none through injury), this is the England we all know so well!

You guys only sing when you're winning!

Not so the Barmy Army; notice the score when the scoreboard comes into view!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnVmWLkSj-g

Eh? We don't even sing when we are winning...besides the odd 'Aussie aussie aussie oi oi oi'

The only sporting team fans that really sing are the fans of the Western Sydney Wanderers, a new Soccer team located in the western suburbs of Sydney

How sweet. Now Swann's Grandmother has come out to fight his battles for him. Poor litle 'ol Swanny

Graeme Swann's nan blames nasty Aussies

Graeme Swann's grandmother has blamed unwelcoming Australians for the spinner's sudden retirement and said something "nasty" must have happened to convince the England star to turn his back on the Ashes.

Swann quit cricket after the third Test defeat as Australia reclaimed the Ashes, ending an international career which had yielded 255 wickets for the off-spinner.

"There is something gone wrong there and I blame the Australian players. Not all the Australian players, a certain one," Mina Swann, 89, told The Journal newspaper in Newcastle, England.

Read Granny Swann's musings here

Edited by BookMan

^^ the South Sydney Rabbitos Rugby League Fans do occasionally break into song ... I reckon it's great.

Grass roots supporters sharing the joy for their Footy Team together.

I couldn't get a good clip of them doing it though.

I've sat near them before.. A bunch of misfits singing English football songs..

How sweet. Now Swann's Grandmother has come out to fight his battles for him. Poor litle 'ol Swanny

Graeme Swann's nan blames nasty Aussies

Graeme Swann's grandmother has blamed unwelcoming Australians for the spinner's sudden retirement and said something "nasty" must have happened to convince the England star to turn his back on the Ashes.

Swann quit cricket after the third Test defeat as Australia reclaimed the Ashes, ending an international career which had yielded 255 wickets for the off-spinner.

"There is something gone wrong there and I blame the Australian players. Not all the Australian players, a certain one," Mina Swann, 89, told The Journal newspaper in Newcastle, England.

Read Granny Swann's musings here

It just keeps getting better for Swanny. Oh the shame.

I remember when a WCE players mum came out on a radio talk-back show saying the fans and

media should stop picking on her son as he "trying and a nice boy".

I can only think of the extra crap this poor fella got from the crowds, team mates and the opposition it.

The hooligans get bored so they must do something. Watching 90 minutes of a game where the only

thing that they count is the amount of players fainting when someone touches them. And then watching them

miraculously recover to a rousing reception from their supporters.

To you soccer supporters, I'm only seriousbiggrin.png

Now back to the cricket, any news on the Broad injury?

Another view, from a respected Indian Spinner..

Harbhajan Singh shocked by Graeme Swann's retirement

NEW DELHI: Harbhajan Singh has been vocal about his respect for England off-spinner Graeme Swann. But the sudden retirement of Swann on Sunday has shocked Harbhajan forcing him to say it was absurd the way the Englishmen has quit the game.

"I couldn't believe when I heard the news. I thought he could have played on for quite some time. But it's difficult to understand how they (the English Cricketers) can quit in the middle of a series.

Had an Indian done this, he would have come under immense scrutiny," Harbhajan said during a chat on the sidelines of the Delhi-Punjab Ranji Trophy match here on Monday.

Read Here

Edited by BookMan

The hooligans get bored so they must do something. Watching 90 minutes of a game where the only

thing that they count is the amount of players fainting when someone touches them. And then watching them

he is being tight lipped about his injury Wil.

I'm going to say i think there is a good chance he wont play. Bad bruising on the foot can take a while to get over. England have no reason to risk playing him

he is being tight lipped about his injury Wil.

I'm going to say i think there is a good chance he wont play. Bad bruising on the foot can take a while to get over. England have no reason to risk playing him

I tend to agree. He could hardly put any weight on it on the last day of the test. Would probably get up if he was a batsman, but

will be really hard for him to recover enough for him to bowl.

• Like 1

On another note

shut up shop.

I've only read the one report about it, but it seems odd. They kept saying it was up to the two players on the pitch to decide about the win or draw.

<deleted>? It's a team game, not up to them at all

Booing crowds upset Steyn - De Villiers

What was the feeling in the immediate aftermath?

"There were a lot of mixed emotions. It's difficult to handle those situations. Dale [steyn] was really upset, he struggled to handle it. It really took Graeme [smith] and a few guys to help him handle it immediately, because of the crowds, the booing and everyone criticising him and Vernon [Philander]."

I'm not surprised, I would've been booing as well. There would've been more respect for them if they had a go and lost

methinks. Although, they could've played for a draw if they lost another wicket.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/south-africa-v-india-2013-14/content/current/story/703517.html

• Like 1

Booing crowds upset Steyn - De Villiers

What was the feeling in the immediate aftermath?

"There were a lot of mixed emotions. It's difficult to handle those situations. Dale [steyn] was really upset, he struggled to handle it. It really took Graeme [smith] and a few guys to help him handle it immediately, because of the crowds, the booing and everyone criticising him and Vernon [Philander]."

I'm not surprised, I would've been booing as well. There would've been more respect for them if they had a go and lost

methinks. Although, they could've played for a draw if they lost another wicket.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/south-africa-v-india-2013-14/content/current/story/703517.html

Seems real odd you wouldn't throw the bat at it. 17 runs in 3 overs..3 wickets in hand