The Ashes Tour 2013

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think Carberry was always the first one to go ....rash with his decision making but none the less a good start and lets hope Root can do that to the Aussie bowlers tongue.png

Johnson back on now so o important session 90-1 30 overs nearly tea!!

Root very unlucky, original caught behind decision upheld on review after a lengthy discussion between the on and off field umpires.

Whilst snicko showed a slight noise (is it being used for this series?), hot spot showed no mark on the bat, but a mark on his pad where bat brushed it as the ball passed the other side.

But the DRS rules say that there must be clear evidence that the on field umpire made the wrong decision for that decision to be overturned.

From BBC live

Tom Fordyce, Chief sports writer at the Waca
"When is an edge not an edge? If you've been bemoaning the lack of DRS arguments in the series so far, that Joe Root dismissal contains enough ugly nuances to last a series. Root was convinced he hadn't he hit it; had the on-field umpire not given it, third umpire Tony Hill wouldn't have changed the decision. And therein lies the problem with the review system: rather than guaranteeing clarity, it only adds to the confusion around the really controversial ones."

Root very unlucky, original caught behind decision upheld on review after a lengthy discussion between the on and off field umpires.

Whilst snicko showed a slight noise (is it being used for this series?), hot spot showed no mark on the bat, but a mark on his pad where bat brushed it as the ball passed the other side.

But the DRS rules say that there must be clear evidence that the on field umpire made the wrong decision for that decision to be overturned.

From BBC live

Tom Fordyce, Chief sports writer at the Waca

"When is an edge not an edge? If you've been bemoaning the lack of DRS arguments in the series so far, that Joe Root dismissal contains enough ugly nuances to last a series. Root was convinced he hadn't he hit it; had the on-field umpire not given it, third umpire Tony Hill wouldn't have changed the decision. And therein lies the problem with the review system: rather than guaranteeing clarity, it only adds to the confusion around the really controversial ones."

Yep, Root was stiff. I don't think he hit it.

But, like you said, there must be clear evidence for an overturn and there wasn't any.

IMO, a bit like Agar's last year so we'll take itbiggrin.png

I think England dug themselves into a bit of a whole with the slow scoring rate an hour before tea.

The next session could determine the outcome of the game.

England cannot afford to be any more than 4 out at best I think.

I think England dug themselves into a bit of a whole with the slow scoring rate an hour before tea.

Indeed, Bumble and Warne made that same point on Sky during the interval.

Cook and Carberry were scoring at over 4 an over, which then dropped to just over 2. Seemed they wanted to ensure they were still there at tea.

But as Warne said, the saying "bowl three maidens and you'll get a wicket" was once again proven to be true.

The next session could determine the outcome of the game.

England cannot afford to be any more than 4 out at best I think.

Indeed.

Cook looks solid, and KP is slowly playing himself in. If one of them, preferably both are still there at the close; game on tomorrow.

• Like 1

Knowing Pieterson he will fall to a rash shot though at the moment he seems to be solidly under orders,i hope he can bat the day out as you say then we have a chance.

Root was a very harsh decision but they happen.

Captain Cook is playing a captains innings.

118 -2 45 Overs

Cook 60

Pietersen a very slow 4 off 40 Balls!! tongue.png

Drinks

Why is the Aussie over rate so low today?

Edited by MrRed

I don't think Bell is the worry here it is teh rest who really are not good enough.....i hope i am wrong!

KP was woeful he cannot play the waiting game and when he attacks he is rash,poor from an experienced batsman.

We will be lucky to reach 200 at this rate,

Knowing Pieterson he will fall to a rash shot though at the moment he seems to be solidly under orders,i hope he can bat the day out as you say then we have a chance.

Root was a very harsh decision but they happen.

Captain Cook is playing a captains innings.

118 -2 45 Overs

Cook 60

Pietersen a very slow 4 off 40 Balls!! tongue.png

Drinks

Why is the Aussie over rate so low today?

Nostradamus, is that you? ;)

• Like 1

180 for 4 at the close, 205 behind; which is a better position at the end of day 2 than England were in either of the first 2 tests!

If England can get within 50 of Australia, then they have a chance, I think.

But the pitch is apparently cracking up already; wouldn't want to bat last on it!

KP was woeful he cannot play the waiting game and when he attacks he is rash,poor from an experienced batsman.

Interesting, I think, that he played sensibly until he got the edge that went for 4 which got him into the 8000 club.

Then, personal milestone reached, yet again KP thought he could hit Siddle out the ground and yet again Siddle got his wicket.

• Like 1

A fairly even day all round really, save for England getting rooted by Erasmus...

But that happens..

Tomorrow will be an interesting day, England bats for most of it should save them from a series defeat...

Johnson and Siddle will need to come out firing on all cylinders and get them jumping around first thing tomorrow..

Interesting, I think, that he played sensibly until he got the edge that went for 4 which got him into the 8000 club.

Then, personal milestone reached, yet again KP thought he could hit Siddle out the ground and yet again Siddle got his wicket.

He played sensibly until Cook was out but you always knew that he couldn't keep the discipline that we required at that time especially as Cook had just gone and he was the kingpin needed to stay put.

After all it is a team game and he as you stated maybe is looking still for personal glory over anything else.

Saying that the Aussie bowlers did very well today although Johnson has gone a long time without a wicket now and the others bowled a lot better today.

Encouraging that Bell and Stokes put on a good 34 at the end and tomorrow will face the new ball in the morning session which will make or break the entire series for me,tough one to call at the moment but as you rightly said the pitch will come more into it on the last two days and England need a minimum of 330 total tomorrow to be in with a chance.

It has fallen to Bell to keep in tomorrow and show what a great cricketer he is.

Good test match.

• Like 1

With this Aussie team, I still can't help but thinking there's one real

bad session ahead.

I think if the Poms get 320 plus, there's going to be a result

either way.

Yep, the new ball is crucial. If we can remove one of them early, I cannot

see Broad, Swann and Co doing much more than having a swing. Will be

interesting to see if Prior can go on with it after the last test as well.

Another intriguing day ahead gang.

212 for 7

Broad 5

Bresnan 4

Disappointing start for England but not unexpected!

The new ball in the next over so if England get near 250 now we will be very lucky bah.gif

Still we could bowl the Aussies out quickly biggrin.png

Edited by MrRed

Broad off to hospital for an x-ray for broken bones in his foot! Bad luck for England. Beefy and nasser hussain saying just 30 seconds before that that he needed to get on the field and defend the ashes clap2.gif

Warner arcing up on the pitch...copping some words from the English players

Edited by BookMan

Now Cook puts one down..could have been considered Prior's again. Chance for Rogers. More bad luck for England. 0/90

Yep, Prior's catch all day long methinks.

The poor bugger can't take a trick with the bat or gloves.

Prior lets another stumping chance for Warner slip through his legs clap2.gif

Australia 0/147