The Ashes Tour 2013

Now Cook puts one down..could have been considered Prior's again. Chance for Rogers. More bad luck for England. 0/90

Yep, Prior's catch all day long methinks.

The poor bugger can't take a trick with the bat or gloves.

How quickly things can turn.

The Ch9 commentry team said that about mid-way through this year, Prior was named England's Cricketer of the Year ... or something like that.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now Cook puts one down..could have been considered Prior's again. Chance for Rogers. More bad luck for England. 0/90

Yep, Prior's catch all day long methinks.

The poor bugger can't take a trick with the bat or gloves.

Prior lets another stumping chance for Warner slip through his legs clap2.gif

Australia 0/147

You've almost got to feel sorry for him.

Note, I did say almostsmile.png

Well played Davie Warner, great little innings that.. Appears the poms have lost interest.. Dropped catches, missed stumpings.. The urn's set to return by the looks of it.. A nice Xmas present to all Australians, wouldn't you say chaps wink.png

I'm hearing you Mr Smith.

If we do win this test, could we dream of a clean sweep?

The way this England team are currently playing; yes.

I simply cannot understand this.

Even the most ardent Aussie would accept that, on paper, England are a better team than Australia.

But who said that cricket isn't played on paper; it's played on grass?

On home soil the Aussies are better than the sum of their parts.

Whilst England are currently less.

Michael Vaughn on TMS

"For the third match in a row, Australia have had no pressure whatsoever in the second innings. Rogers and Warner might as well have gone out with flip-flops and cigars. This has been a dreadful, dreadful day for English cricket. It is never easy when you are watching a team that has this much talent play to this standard. They are frazzled. Matt Prior is a pivotal member of this team but you can tell that his poor batting is affecting his keeping now. The dressing-room now will be the worst place in the world."

Edited by 7by7

Even the most ardent Aussie would accept that, on paper, England are a better team than Australia.

Michael Vaughn on TMS

"For the third match in a row, Australia have had no pressure whatsoever in the second innings. Rogers and Warner might as well have gone out with flip-flops and cigars. This has been a dreadful, dreadful day for English cricket. It is never easy when you are watching a team that has this much talent play to this standard. They are frazzled. Matt Prior is a pivotal member of this team but you can tell that his poor batting is affecting his keeping now. The dressing-room now will be the worst place in the world."

I guess England are just taking a breather so the Ashes won't be seen as theirs for the keeping, which would mean the contest between the two countries would be no longer regarded as an important sporting fixture. Having said that, let "Pup" Clarke declare at 414 and then let the true class of your world class batting line up give the convicts a hiding on the last day of the match. Just joking.smile.png

Interesting article from Geoffrey Boycott..

Ashes 2013: England Test crisis has been a long time coming

For me the rot started in New Zealand this year - the first Test in Dunedin and the third Test in Auckland. Each time in the first innings we played awful shots, dug ourselves a big hole but escaped with draws. A good side should have beaten New Zealand easily.

Then in Nottingham against Australia if Stuart Broad had been given out as he should have been, we could have lost that Test. We should have lost in Manchester but it rained on the last day, and although we came out on top eventually in Durham in the fourth Test, for many periods of that match it was even stevens.

This crisis has been coming. The signs have been there. This Ashes trip we arrived with three tall fast bowlers who, we were told, would get bounce and pace off the hard Australian pitches. But anybody who has seen them bowl in the nets says you cannot pick any of them because they are not bowling well enough.

See Full Article Here

Michael Vaughn on TMS

Before the series started, I would've agreed with you.

I think if you picked a combined 11 from the last series in England,

only Clarke, Harris and Watson would've made the team.

Picking a team now I would have Warner, Cook, Bell, Clarke, Pietersen, Root, Haddin, Johnson, Broad, Swann and Harris.

The fact that Pietersen, Bell, Root and Cook are in shows the lack of batting in both sides to be honest.

In the top 6, only Clarke and Warner have been any good, the other 10 have been making up the numbers.

A huge discrepancy at 7 & 8. Haddin averaging 80 and Johnson 49 whereas their counterparts Prior is 16 and Broad 14.

In the bowling dept, both spinners have been ineffectual although Lyon had a good 2nd test.

Johnson has 19 wickets at 14, Harris 11 at 19 and Siddle 10 at 17. for England, only Broad has flown the flag

with 14 at 25. The next best is Anderson with 7 at 48.

So statistically speaking, Aust have the top 3 or 4 if you include Johnson (147 runs at 49) batsmen.

And we have 3 of the top 4 bowlers.

So you have to wonder, is it the quality of the Eng batsmen or the quality of Australia's bowlers?

Probably both.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 2

Michael Vaughn on TMS

Picking a team now I would have Warner, Cook, Bell, Clarke, Pietersen, Root, Haddin, Johnson, Broad, Swann and Harris.

The fact that Pietersen, Bell, Root and Cook are in shows the lack of batting in both sides to be honest.

In the top 6, only Clarke and Warner have been any good, the other 10 have been making up the numbers.

A huge discrepancy at 6 &7. Haddin averaging 80 and Johnson 49 whereas their counterparts Prior is 16 and Broad 14.

In the bowling dept, both spinners have been ineffectual although Lyon had a good 2nd test.

Johnson has 19 wickets at 14, Harris 11 at 19 and Siddle 10 at 17. for England, only Broad has flown the flag

So statistically speaking, Aust have the top 3 or 4 if you include Johnson (147 runs at 49) batsmen.

So you have to wonder, is it the quality of the Eng batsmen or the quality of Australia's bowlers?

Probably both.

Id be tempted to leave Swann out altogether...I dont think Swann nor Lyon are bowling well and neither really add much to a combined best of. I realise that means no dedicated spinner. I'd also leave out KP. He is lacking form and has been making some atrocious shot decisions. Smith can go in for Swann/KP and Siddle can come in too.

Lyon can drive the drinks cart, about all he is good for

• Like 1

Michael Vaughn on TMS

A huge discrepancy at 6 &7. Haddin averaging 80 and Johnson 49 whereas their counterparts Prior is 16 and Broad 14.

Probably both.

Id be tempted to leave Swann out altogether...I dont think Swann nor Lyon are bowling well and neither really add much to a combined best of. I realise that means no dedicated spinner. I'd also leave out KP. He is lacking form and has been making some atrocious shot decisions. Smith can go in for Swann/KP and Siddle can come in too.

Lyon can drive the drinks cart, about all he is good for

You won't get too many arguments from me BookMan.

I was at pains to bring Siddle in for a spinner but I really think

you need one at Sydney. Siddle would be my 12th man

I'm still not sold on smith. Out of his 183 runs, 111 have been

in one innings.

I still think KP is more dangerous.

Watson caught on the boundary!! Brilliant catch but wait.....He has fallen over the boundary with the catch.... another 6 to Watson...and Not Out!

Watson 98 not out

Edit. 100 to Watson! clap2.gif

Edit again. Watson Run out 103!

Edited by BookMan

Watson caught on the boundary!! Brilliant catch but wait.....He has fallen over the boundary with the catch.... another 6 to Watson...and Not Out!

Watson 98 not out

What a cluster f***

Bresnan takes the catch over the boundry, Watson slots a couple and brings up his ton... Skies a sitter to the Bell, he makes a f***ing meal of it, Bresnan scoops it up and launches at the pegs and boom, Watson's run out...

Those cracks are looking dangerous! I'd be really worried if I was the English top order!

• Like 1

Watson 98 not out

What a cluster f***

Bresnan takes the catch over the boundry, Watson slots a couple and brings up his ton... Skies a sitter to the Bell, he makes a f***ing meal of it, Bresnan scoops it up and launches at the pegs and boom, Watson's run out...

Those cracks are looking dangerous! I'd be really worried if I was the English top order!

Mate...just as you posted...Anderson and someone else leave a sitter fro each other to get...falls in the middle of the two of them.

I wouldn't be sending Johnson in to bat on this pitch...we don't need a broken toe or finger

Unless England have got another pony up their sleeves they're collectively up the creek... They just looked like they'd given up and were just waiting for Clarke to declare...

Beefy's not a happy chap at the moment, Warney giving him a fair amount of stick...

• Like 1

A little bit of fight from the Poms, short lived I feel...

Short lived, Carberry gone for 31... I think Lyon's going to trouble them if he keeps hitting those cracks.

Pieterson and Root will have to get out on the front foot and swat him back over his head...

A little bit of fight from the Poms, short lived I feel...

Short lived, Carberry gone for 31... I think Lyon's going to trouble them if he keeps hitting those cracks.

Pieterson and Root will have to get out on the front foot and swat him back over his head...

The only people Lyon is likely to trouble is the scorekeepers

• Like 1