The Ashes Tour 2013

The words "Storm in a tea cup" spring immediately to mind; even more so to the criticism he has received for talking about going out for a few beers!

The Mail found one English 'supporter' to complain about that comment; but I bet that given the opportunity most, if not all, of the Barmy Army would join Swann in the pub! I would.

However: Ashes 2013-14: Graeme Swann sorry for 'crass' comments

Swann said on Twitter: "Sorry to anyone who was offended by my comments in the papers today. Crass and thoughtless of me in the extreme."

Nice opportunity for Yvonne Traynor to get her name in the papers, though.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Back to the cricket.

Ashes 2013-14: Where has it gone wrong for England?

Have to agree with most of that; especially his comments on KP.

Pietersen? Pietersen has got out to unnecessary shots on five occasions, strolling like an egotistical innocent into the unsubtle traps set by Australia's bowlers.

In this series he has gone past 8,000 runs for England. Unfortunately only 165 of them have come in the last six innings. England's lynchpin has been exactly that: pinned, and lynched.

Back to the cricket.

Ashes 2013-14: Where has it gone wrong for England?

Have to agree with most of that; especially his comments on KP.

Pietersen? Pietersen has got out to unnecessary shots on five occasions, strolling like an egotistical innocent into the unsubtle traps set by Australia's bowlers.

In this series he has gone past 8,000 runs for England. Unfortunately only 165 of them have come in the last six innings. England's lynchpin has been exactly that: pinned, and lynched.

Not a bad article.

The point about Prior and Haddin is well made. Australia could have been in trouble a few times without Haddin. Likewise, England has missed Prior.

Graeme Swann retires mid-series

Graeme Swann, the England offspinner, has retired from international cricket with immediate effect.

Swann, 34, will not play in the final two Tests of the Ashes tour and will finish his career with 255 wickets at 29.96 from his 60 Tests. However, on a disappointing tour of Australia in which England have gone down 3-0 after the first three Tests, Swann has been one of the senior players who has failed to have an impact and has managed only seven wickets at 80.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2013-14/content/current/story/702897.html

• Like 1

Graeme Swann retires mid-series

Graeme Swann, the England offspinner, has retired from international cricket with immediate effect.

Swann, 34, will not play in the final two Tests of the Ashes tour and will finish his career with 255 wickets at 29.96 from his 60 Tests. However, on a disappointing tour of Australia in which England have gone down 3-0 after the first three Tests, Swann has been one of the senior players who has failed to have an impact and has managed only seven wickets at 80.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2013-14/content/current/story/702897.html

Jeez, just read that online mate.

An enormous surprise!

Well, England would seem to have no chance of winning a tess match now.

Swann was a good bowler for England, just suffering a form slump this tour.

Edited by BookMan

When the going gets tough, the pissweak go home.

Leaving mid tour is not opening the door for a new young player to step up, there's only Monty on the tour.

Swann always loved being a front runner, but lacks fortitude when things turn around,

A bad way for England's best ever spinner to finish.

Edited by Old Croc

When the going gets tough, the pissweak go home,

Swann always loved being a front runner, but lacks fortitude when things turn around,

First Trott..Now Swann....Will Anderson be next?

I was wondering the same thing, but I don't believe Anderson to be a quitter,

However, the selectors may very well replace him for the next game with one of the big fasties.

Edited by Old Croc

I was as surprised as anyone when I woke up this morning and saw this news.

However, he does have his reasons and we must respect them.

Graeme Swann: England spinner retires from cricket during Ashes.

"I know I'm making the decision for the right reasons," added Swann. "My body doesn't like playing five-day cricket any more and I don't feel I can justify my spot in the team in the latter stages of a game. As a spinner, that's when you need to come into your own."

We probably wont know until he publishes his book whether he jumped before he was pushed; but better to read the signs and go when the time is right than try and hang on for as long as possible. That he has retired from all forms of the game, not just test cricket, I think shows that this is not a mere petulant reaction to his poor form in this series.

Michael Vaughan insists Graeme Swann has not made a 'selfish' decision

I was as surprised as anyone when I woke up this morning and saw this news.

However, he does have his reasons and we must respect them.

Graeme Swann: England spinner retires from cricket during Ashes.

"I know I'm making the decision for the right reasons," added Swann. "My body doesn't like playing five-day cricket any more and I don't feel I can justify my spot in the team in the latter stages of a game. As a spinner, that's when you need to come into your own."

We probably wont know until he publishes his book whether he jumped before he was pushed; but better to read the signs and go when the time is right than try and hang on for as long as possible. That he has retired from all forms of the game, not just test cricket, I think shows that this is not a mere petulant reaction to his poor form in this series.

Michael Vaughan insists Graeme Swann has not made a 'selfish' decision

It is up to him, but...

Surely he could have seen out the series? Just two games remaining. His departure is another blow in the minds of the English players they just don't need.

I don't know what Vaughan is on about. Of course it is a selfish decision, he is putting himself first, before the team, before his country.

• Keep quiet about your problems and play on, collecting match fees and central contract payments along the way, when you know your body is no longer capable of performing as it should; or
  • retire now and by so doing forfeit the remainder of your contract payments.

Which is the more selfish?

• Keep quiet about your problems and play on, collecting match fees and central contract payments along the way, when you know your body is no longer capable of performing as it should; or
  • retire now and by so doing forfeit the remainder of your contract payments.

Which is the more selfish?

oh 7by7! laugh.png

I reject both of those options and reasons you give.

He could have played on for the team. The English team is in a state of crisis and he quits at a particulary bad moment.

There is nothing to say he cannot play two more tests, just that he is basically tired and finding it difficult.

2 more tests Swanny!! Give the game, your team, your country one last hoorah!

He chose the selfish option and quit. Just the fact.

Playing on for the team when you know that you are not capable of performing physically or mentally?

Remember, this is not a spur of the moment decision and he has been discussing it with the team and management since the end of the third test.

And England do have a replacement to hand with Monty; and Lehman has said

"England are obviously going to go down the Monty Panesar path for the next two Tests, so it is a challenge for our blokes to change the way we play against left-arm spin."

Edited by 7by7

Playing on for the team when you know that you are not capable of performing physically or mentally?

Remember, this is not a spur of the moment decision and he has been discussing it with the team and management since the end of the third test.

And England do have a replacement to hand with Monty; and Lehman has said

"England are obviously going to go down the Monty Panesar path for the next two Tests, so it is a challenge for our blokes to change the way we play against left-arm spin."

Swann has been out of form, but has made it through each test okay...it seems to be in his mind. First Trott, then Swann.

As for spur of the moment. Of course it is. I don't know how any player of his standing and experience could decide to quite one week earlier and do it mid series. Hardly a thought out plan.

Some of these English players need a teaspoon of concrete in their coffee each morning to toughen up a little.

Australia would be cock a hoop that they will be facing Monty!

Evens it up a bit since we give you Lyon for some batting practice

So, are you saying it was ok for MacGill to do it because of his poor form; but not for Swann?

Do you really think that is what I said?

I think u might have skimmed read and see the word 'form' and 'poor' in close proximity. wink.png

Have a read again. Seems fairly clear what I am saying

I apologise, I thought you meant his poor form as a bowler.

I see now that you meant poor form as in unacceptable behaviour.

However, I still believe that Swann's decision to go now was taken in what he considers to be the best interests of the team in particular and English cricket in general.

Though it is obvious from social media and press comments that I am in the minority.

• Like 1

On another note

South Africa abandon run chase against India

India 280 and 421 ; South Africa 244 and 7-450 (Match drawn)

With a tantalising 16 runs needed off 18 balls and a world record run chase within their sights, South Africa have turned down the chance to make history, settling for a draw in the first Test of the series against India.

When top-scorer Faf du Plessis was run out off the fifth ball of the 133rd over, having hit a majestic 134, the batsmen in the middle - Vernon Philander and Dale Steyn - opted to bat out for the draw rather than chase the total.

South Africa skipper Graeme Smith defended the controversial decision to pursue the 458 runs needed to win the opening match at the Wanderers.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/south-africa-abandon-run-chase-against-india-20131223-2zti0.html

Edited by BookMan

England spinner Monty Panesar to play for Sydney Grade team Wests Magpies on Saturday

601904-40e706b4-684d-11e3-b1c2-12026a975

Wests cricket manager Geoff Wright expects Panesar to play for the club the until the end of the grade season.

"Whenever England doesn't need him in the new year then he'll be playing for the Western Suburbs,"Wright said.

"So we envisage he'll be playing for most of the second half of the year and has organised accommodation in

Sydney until the end of the of the grade season."

Here

Maybe he won't be needing that accommodation now ... rolleyes.gif

England spinner Monty Panesar to play for Sydney Grade team Wests Magpies on Saturday

601904-40e706b4-684d-11e3-b1c2-12026a975

Wests cricket manager Geoff Wright expects Panesar to play for the club the until the end of the grade season.

"Whenever England doesn't need him in the new year then he'll be playing for the Western Suburbs,"Wright said.

"So we envisage he'll be playing for most of the second half of the year and has organised accommodation in

Sydney until the end of the of the grade season."

Here

Maybe he won't be needing that accommodation now ... rolleyes.gif

Maybe Nathan Lyon could take his place

• Like 1

When the going gets tough, the pissweak go home,

First Trott..Now Swann....Will Anderson be next?

I think the big question for this weeks test will be whether Broad plays or not.