Bored of car crashes.

Angeledge777

Again driving in Thailand is very different then driving in the west, here you have to be a defensive driver, you need to expect the unexpected and most of all keep a cool head on the road.

12 years ago after renting a car and driving around Pattaya and Bangkok, I made a decision not to drive in Thailand again period.

Thai drivers have very different driving habits than my own.

You place yourself and others at risk, by not watching out for the other drivers by driving safely.

If you are at fault or can not prove your version of an accident, you stand a financial loss of your assets in Thailand.

Other means of transportation are cheap and timely.

While not driving my own car, it is at times a disadvantage by having to rely on other methods of transportation in an emergency

But that decision I found, I had to make to better live my life in Thailand.

Cheers:smile.png .

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe this belongs in the motoring section... already one thread going on there as to whether Thai drivers are the worst or not.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Seems like the OP is another one of the Farangs who expects millions of Thais to change to the way he does things, because he chose to leave his own country and chose to live here.

Hate to burst your arrogant Farang bubble, but it's YOU that has to adapt, not the Thais, you might think about getting a Thai driver if you are too old to adapt.

Taking the full day course and test to obtain my Thai license in Lampang I had to know the Thai rules of the road to pass. After getting my license I hit the road only to find out that no one follows the rules of the road which means it is up to you to be aware of every unexpected maneuver around you that occurs. Having said this I'm sure there will come a day when like the OP no matter how vigil something unavoidable will happen. So as stated in other post's adapt and persavere.

The Op was simply driving down the inside lane and the guy in the second lane cut across him.

I doubt it was that straightforward. Sounds like the OP knew what was coming and tried to prevent him from changing lanes. If it was unavoidable it would have resulted in worse than a damaged wing mirror. Yes the minivan was at fault, but the OP likely could have swallowed his pride, braked, and avoided the collision.
  • Like 1

The Op was simply driving down the inside lane and the guy in the second lane cut across him.

I doubt it was that straightforward. Sounds like the OP knew what was coming and tried to prevent him from changing lanes. If it was unavoidable it would have resulted in worse than a damaged wing mirror. Yes the minivan was at fault, but the OP likely could have swallowed his pride, braked, and avoided the collision.

The Op suggests he will be loosing his car for 1 month while its repaired, at an estimated cost to insurance in excess of 100,000 baht... Seems like more than just wing mirror damage...

I imagine many cases really are that straight forwards... a driver simply doesn't look. I not sure how you worked out that the op 'knew what was coming and tried to prevent the other guy from changing lanes'.... sometimes TV members look so hard to proportion blame on an Op as exampled in this thread....

I've been in similar circumstances - over taking on a dual carriageway, the car I was over taking simply decides to change lanes without reason, while I am next to his rear wheels., too late to avoid danger I managed to squeeze though between him and the wall (central divide), I've no idea how I avoided accident... Some may say it was my fault for over taking and that I should drive more 'Thai' (whatever that is) or, that I need more experience, it wouldn't happen to them etc... but I disagree... Some accidents are unavoidable, some / most avoidances are sheer luck...

Edited by richard_smith237

I expect it was that straight forward... I have lost count of the number of times people carry out stupid, incomprehensible moves on the roads around me. Touch wood I have avoided any contact so far but I expect that it will happen at some point, no matter what I try to do..

To that end I have also gone down the dash cam route, hopefully it will never be needed but might get me out of a sticky situation in the future. Unless its my fault, then it will be a glove box cam !

• Like 1

Considering the OP is a repeat victim I suggest it is as straightforward as that.

Seems like the OP is another one of the Farangs who expects millions of Thais to change to the way he does things, because he chose to leave his own country and chose to live here.

Hate to burst your arrogant Farang bubble, but it's YOU that has to adapt, not the Thais, you might think about getting a Thai driver if you are too old to adapt.

What total rubbish. laugh.png Can't believe you wrote that. Your street cred is now nil. w00t.gif

• Like 1

What total rubbish. laugh.png Can't believe you wrote that. Your street cred is now nil. w00t.gif

Another love it or leave it brigade member coffee1.gif

BUT, my street cred is intact. intheclub.gif

BUT, my street cred is intact. intheclub.gif

How can anyone from the love it or leave it batch can have any street cred?

If I run into 3 buttheads in 9 months, I probably need to take a look at my own driving skills and habits.

The accidents may not be my fault, but perhaps there's something I could have done to avoid them.

Perhaps?

+1, it's called defensive driving. Check in for a course if you are having 3 accidents / 9 months and / or driving 22000km in that time. It works wonders for any country or new city you are unfamiliar with and need to drive in. Posters saying they avoid driving are missing the point imho.

Designing your lifestyle to minimize usage of personal automobiles not only improves your odds of surviving living in Thailand, but saves a lot of money and helps reduce your resource consumption if you happen to think that's important.

Of course, defensive driving is a good thing too, just sayin'

Edited by boosta

Designing your lifestyle to minimize usage of personal automobiles not only improves your odds of surviving living in Thailand, but saves a lot of money and helps reduce your resource consumption if you happen to think that's important.

that or give up driving all together

Don't tell me, your 18. wink.png

Don't tell me, your 18. wink.png

18 and a half

The Op suggests he will be loosing his car for 1 month while its repaired, at an estimated cost to insurance in excess of 100,000 baht... Seems like more than just wing mirror damage...

I imagine many cases really are that straight forwards... a driver simply doesn't look. I not sure how you worked out that the op 'knew what was coming and tried to prevent the other guy from changing lanes'.... sometimes TV members look so hard to proportion blame on an Op as exampled in this thread....

I've been in similar circumstances - over taking on a dual carriageway, the car I was over taking simply decides to change lanes without reason, while I am next to his rear wheels., too late to avoid danger I managed to squeeze though between him and the wall (central divide), I've no idea how I avoided accident... Some may say it was my fault for over taking and that I should drive more 'Thai' (whatever that is) or, that I need more experience, it wouldn't happen to them etc... but I disagree... Some accidents are unavoidable, some / most avoidances are sheer luck...

Fair enough, but most accidents don't have a clear villain and victim. Normally both parties are at fault to some degree. An accident rate of 1 every three months suggests it likely wasn't unavoidable. The screaming at the other driver after the event is another indicator.

I expect it was that straight forward... I have lost count of the number of times people carry out stupid, incomprehensible moves on the roads around me. Touch wood I have avoided any contact so far but I expect that it will happen at some point, no matter what I try to do..

To that end I have also gone down the dash cam route, hopefully it will never be needed but might get me out of a sticky situation in the future. Unless its my fault, then it will be a glove box cam !

I agree - but ask yourself why you've managed to avoid an accident so far. You've likely adapted to the conditions thereby decreasing your chances of a collision. Why haven't you had three accidents in the last nine months?

OMG. You think that Thailand should be excused observing laws and sensible driving habits? Are you content with the nonobservance of drink driving laws? Do you have death wish?

You nick says it all. Obviously a paid up member of the Kamikaze Club.

Why is it when ever you post anything, anywhere it is always trying to degrade a farang in some way, old, arrogant, fat, etc. I believe you have a problem ?

• Like 1

Why is it when ever you post anything, anywhere it is always trying to degrade a farang in some way, old, arrogant, fat, etc. I believe you have a problem ?

If you believe that I have a problem because I am not continually slagging off Thailand and patting myself and others on the cyber back for being Farangs, therefore always right, then yes, I have a problem.

Seems like the OP is another one of the Farangs who expects millions of Thais to change to the way he does things, because he chose to leave his own country and chose to live here.Hate to burst your arrogant Farang bubble, but it's YOU that has to adapt, not the Thais, you might think about getting a Thai driver if you are too old to adapt.

He does not really like himself.

• Like 1

I expect it was that straight forward... I have lost count of the number of times people carry out stupid, incomprehensible moves on the roads around me. Touch wood I have avoided any contact so far but I expect that it will happen at some point, no matter what I try to do..To that end I have also gone down the dash cam route, hopefully it will never be needed but might get me out of a sticky situation in the future. Unless its my fault, then it will be a glove box cam !
I agree - but ask yourself why you've managed to avoid an accident so far. You've likely adapted to the conditions thereby decreasing your chances of a collision. Why haven't you had three accidents in the last nine months?

Because..

A. I have been lucky

B. I have been working on a boat for 5 of those 9 months

It will happen to me at some point, probably happen to all you too if you stay here long enough.

Statistics don't lie.. Well sometimes they do

Because..

A. I have been lucky

B. I have been working on a boat for 5 of those 9 months

It will happen to me at some point, probably happen to all you too if you stay here long enough.

Statistics don't lie.. Well sometimes they do

I think you are right. In LOS it doesn't matter how good, smart, careful and can read the road properly driver, the unexpected will no doubt happen. In LOS there is no basic thought for their and other folks safety. Over the years I have tried to work out why ALL folk do the same stupid stuff and many die cos of it.

Yesterday I pulled up at a junction to turn right, a tanker was coming along at speed so I waited for it to pass, in the mean time a scooter, 3 up, came on my inside and turned left without looking into the path of the tanker w00t.gif , the tanker moved to the wrong side of the road to avoid wiping them out, if there was a car coming the other way they l fear they would have been history. BUT, my point is I see this stupid unnecessary stuff every day.sad.png

I agree there are a lot of idiot drivers here more so as in the West but there are also sensible drivers here not all Thais drive bad. My dad made a valid remark if they were all that bad there would be a lot more accidents here.

12 years driving here no major accidents despite close calls on a daily basis. They were close calls and not accidents for a reason. If I didn't drive with a hyper vigilance, anticipating what idiotic maneuvers other drivers were going to pull at any given time, I would be in 3 wrecks every day before getting to the market. Check your ego. There is not such thing as "right of way" in Thailand. Being perfect on the road here is not good enough. You must learn the Thai way of driving and conform or you will not survive the roads here, period.

I used to think Thais were terrible drivers, but now I realise they are the best drivers in the world ( and any farang that doesn't have accidents here ), or they would never get to the end of a car journey unscathed.

Most western drivers would last 5 minutes in LOS biggrin.png

• Like 1