I Am A Victim Of Racism, And I Want More Of It!

klubex99

sounds like you have a problem with the UK govt rather than anyone else. I think you will find that a lot of us farangs living in Thailand love the place, that isnt the problem, most thai people arent the problem either, racism is not the problem, the major problem is the different standards, in western countries the laws are made for ALL people, no matter where you come from, everyone has to do treated the same. In Thailand this is thrown out the window, also there are a lot that do not respect the laws of the country and these people are the thais themsleves, they set up their own specific agendas. All you have done is say you love Thailand but you havent even attempted to explain it, just use excuses. I take it you love the fact that graft is the backbone of the country, if you want anything done you have to pay them tea money, you love the fact that police are some of the worst offenders, they see nothing wrong with bribes, breaking the laws, killing people etc or the fact that the politicians themselves have their snouts in the troughs making big bucks while ripping off all the thai people. Mate you are twisted, love the country and its people but be honest about it and stop the crap about racism.

I particularly love the way you started your post with a lot of you love living in Thailand, then launch into a tirade of things you hate about it. Then end with saying 'im twisted'....lol

• Like 1

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having read the OP's post I'm at a loss to see where he personally has suffered frim racism in Thailand,

Though he has given clear examples of racism that would not be tollerated back in the UK.

He reads more like a frustrated racist than a victim of racism.

• Like 2

sounds like you have a problem with the UK govt rather than anyone else. I think you will find that a lot of us farangs living in Thailand love the place, that isnt the problem, most thai people arent the problem either, racism is not the problem, the major problem is the different standards, in western countries the laws are made for ALL people, no matter where you come from, everyone has to do treated the same. In Thailand this is thrown out the window, also there are a lot that do not respect the laws of the country and these people are the thais themsleves, they set up their own specific agendas. All you have done is say you love Thailand but you havent even attempted to explain it, just use excuses. I take it you love the fact that graft is the backbone of the country, if you want anything done you have to pay them tea money, you love the fact that police are some of the worst offenders, they see nothing wrong with bribes, breaking the laws, killing people etc or the fact that the politicians themselves have their snouts in the troughs making big bucks while ripping off all the thai people. Mate you are twisted, love the country and its people but be honest about it and stop the crap about racism.

I particularly love the way you started your post with a lot of you love living in Thailand, then launch into a tirade of things you hate about it. Then end with saying 'im twisted'....lol

It's called "bait and switch"

Having read the OP's post I'm at a loss to see where he personally has suffered frim racism in Thailand,

Though he has given clear examples of racism that would not be tollerated back in the UK.

Take a look at OP's post #13 and you have the answer

try reading the thread, not just the OP.

How many here think that Thailand is quire perfect? How many think that things couldn't be better, not only for them personally, but for the entire population? Few, if any i venture.

Somebody has a pop at one particular facet of the Thai way of life and the hard of thinking queue up to tell him to go home. Somebody makes an adverse comment about what is 1% of the total Thai experience and dickheads instantly fail to think that the poster may be quite content with the other 99%.

What next? Somebody post a view that you disagree with, will you tell them to post on another board?

• Like 1

try reading the thread, not just the OP.

yep...read it .... still read like a frustrated racist.

"Lets say the UK dropped their political correctness and adopted the Thai 'anything goes' attitude for just a week. There would be an uproar, probably rioting all over the country, people would likely die."

The UK wasn't always PC, Google TV shows like "Love They Neighbour" and "Mind Your Language", even "Rising Damp"

• Like 1

"Lets say the UK dropped their political correctness and adopted the Thai 'anything goes' attitude for just a week. There would be an uproar, probably rioting all over the country, people would likely die."

The UK wasn't always PC, Google TV shows like "Love They Neighbour" and "Mind Your Language", even "Rising Damp"

The programmes you mention (and you forgot the ultimate - Spike Milligan's "Curry and Chips"), did so much to break down racial barriers and reveal the bigoted main characters representing white English society as a whole for what they arguably then were.

The irony is that now we in the west have gone totally into overdrive with political correctness that no TV broadcaster would even consider making programmes that critique the opposite perspective. i.e. that the OTT political correctness we have today (as described by the OP) in regard to race and culture is equally as racist and bigoted as the programmes you mentioned, but from the complete opposite end of the spectrum.

• Like 1

Just a troll post as a platform to bash Muslims

Evolving from Godwin's Law, but with transferable intent from Nazi'ism to Muslim'ism.

Ginger, I hope you were using Irony, but somehow I guess not, but I live in eternal hope!!

Bloomin eck !!!!

I can't see why so many people are having a go at the OP.

Why is it so many times people try to find something negative?

Maybe I have misunderstood the context of the 1st post,but my interpretation is that it is a positive one from the OP.

Fair play to you fella if you are happy thumbsup.gif

@ simple1.

Who mentioned muslims? That is a religion that was mentioned nowhere, I mentioned Pakistanis which is a race, and used that example because that is the majority non-white British race in the UK.

Really? I thought it would be Indian

Pakistanis aren't a separate "race" from Indians any more than modern English people can be distinguished from French or German.

There are hundreds of "races" in that part of the world, or they are all one.

Genetics have shows it's not possible to use that sociological term with precision anyway, it's only useful for broad groupings, macro- discussions at a statistical level of probability.

Edited by boosta

The programmes you mention (and you forgot the ultimate - Spike Milligan's "Curry and Chips"), did so much to break down racial barriers and reveal the bigoted main characters representing white English society as a whole for what they arguably then were.

The irony is that now we in the west have gone totally into overdrive with political correctness that no TV broadcaster would even consider making programmes that critique the opposite perspective. i.e. that the OTT political correctness we have today (as described by the OP) in regard to race and culture is equally as racist and bigoted as the programmes you mentioned, but from the complete opposite end of the spectrum.

Quite possibly so in Rising Damp but there was racism against the 'honky' in Love Thy Neighbour and the Engllish main character of Mind Your Language was not the racist, it was his multi cultural class that were racist towards each others stereotypes.

And then you also have the anti-sexism PC brigade where movies like the Carry On series or programmes like Benny Hill could never be made.

And are we any better off now hiding racism/sexism and pretending it doesn't exist or adopting the Lenny Bruce approach to it?

You failed to mention the many farangs staying here in Thailand who have no respect for Thai law.

The illegal business owners, the illegal property and land owners, the illegal real estate speculators, the illegal bar, massage and brothel owners, the illegal farm owners and crop growers, the illegal workers, the over stayers, the forever tourists and the list goes on.

Our Klubex99 has said he loves Thailand and sees the positive side of living here, so what`s your problem with that? If anyone is bitter and twisted, it`s you.

I would like to ask, do you actually live in Thailand? If so, why are you here, if you believe that the Thai system is crap.

Remember, everyone has choices, they can always go where they believe the grass is greener.

• Like 1

Quite possibly so in Rising Damp but there was racism against the 'honky' in Love Thy Neighbour and the Engllish main character of Mind Your Language was not the racist, it was his multi cultural class that were racist towards each others stereotypes.

And then you also have the anti-sexism PC brigade where movies like the Carry On series or programmes like Benny Hill could never be made.

And are we any better off now hiding racism/sexism and pretending it doesn't exist or adopting the Lenny Bruce approach to it?

Nowhere is racism and sexism practiced more profoundly than in Farangland.

I also remember some of those British comedy series from the 1960s and 1970s.

There was curry and chips and of course not forgetting, Till Death Us do Part, dear old Alf Garnet with his silly moo and his hatred of people of colour. Coons is how he described them and that was meant to be a comedy. I believe the Yanks adopted their own version, with the main character being an Archie Bunker. There was Spike

Milligan and his Pakistani daleks. the Irish weatherman.

As yet I have never seen a Thai TV series completely themed about ridiculing people of other races

Well as for our Flag of St George,regardless of what the Gutter Press are rattling on about,where I live the Flag of St George and the Union Jack is in permanent evidence,try seeing some celebration like the Queens Trooping of the Colour,her Birthday and many other celebrations such as the Olympics,and you will realise our Flags are alive and well,and reports of their ban have been greatly exaggerated/lied about,even football matches with England playing generate masses of our Flags.

So on the contrary the Flag of St George is more in evidence than even the Union Jack,so rest assured the British people have not been beaten into submission by minority faction religious groups.

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 1

Would also be helpful if the skinhead/fascist/anti-immigration groups didn't used something other than the national symbol to rally around.

Then multi-cultural tolerant English people could feel unqualified pride in its use as well.

Such profoundly true words...I am impressed Beetle dude.

Every time a farang mentions the word "racism" in the Thai context, it really dilutes the real meaning. Because in Thailand, there's no historical context. Unless one considers being a member of a privileged group to be a "victim." Well, that's how it used to be in Thailand, although that's eroding a bit due to the types of farangs arriving on these shores every day. But the word "racism" as applied to how farangs are treated in Thailand has almost no meaning to the average Thai. None. To put it simply, they have no idea what the heck you're talking about. And they shouldn't.

The term racism as applied in the American context conjures up all kinds of ugly and horrible images from our past. We're talking rapes, lynchings, cross-burnings, and of course, slavery. It's a factual part of our history that we'd very much like to forget. So a racist in America is truly scum, putting it as mildly as I can. No one wants to be associated with that term because of the historical context.

So from that perspective, a farang complaining that he's a victim of racism in Thailand is almost comical. A victim of what, a life of leisure? Well that's what it seems to the average Thai. And again, calling a Thai a racist is meaningless because they have no idea what you're talking about.

-

Bravo, completely agree with every word.

Someone from the most privileged class in history trying to twist these genuinely serious issues - repression of women minorities using the "reverse" argument is really over the top, we white males benefit in SO MANY ways from an accident of birth, most especially in Thailand that we really don't have any right to complain (IMO) when a tiny something goes the other way .00001% of the time.

Reserves the use of "racism" "sexism" age-ism whatever for truly serious issues, not irritating piddly ones.

Whoever said life was fair anyway?

• Like 2

Yes, us long term expats have all been there; the 3 year period.

Come tell us how you feel in another 3-5 yearscoffee1.gif

BTW, its not the "racism" that bothers me after all these years, its the double standards. If you want to be a racist and be honest about it, fine with me; to each their own. But saying that I can be racist because I'm a certain nationality, but other nationalities can not be racist towards me, then I get bothered.

• Like 1

This attitude very much in evidence when someone who hasn't traveled much finds out for the first time that non-white cultures can even be racist in the first place, takes a while for that concept to really sink in. . .

Such profoundly true words...I am impressed Beetle dude.

Every time a farang mentions the word "racism" in the Thai context, it really dilutes the real meaning. Because in Thailand, there's no historical context. Unless one considers being a member of a privileged group to be a "victim." Well, that's how it used to be in Thailand, although that's eroding a bit due to the types of farangs arriving on these shores every day. But the word "racism" as applied to how farangs are treated in Thailand has almost no meaning to the average Thai. None. To put it simply, they have no idea what the heck you're talking about. And they shouldn't.

The term racism as applied in the American context conjures up all kinds of ugly and horrible images from our past. We're talking rapes, lynchings, cross-burnings, and of course, slavery. It's a factual part of our history that we'd very much like to forget. So a racist in America is truly scum, putting it as mildly as I can. No one wants to be associated with that term because of the historical context.

So from that perspective, a farang complaining that he's a victim of racism in Thailand is almost comical. A victim of what, a life of leisure? Well that's what it seems to the average Thai. And again, calling a Thai a racist is meaningless because they have no idea what you're talking about.

Great post. Yes totally agree in regards to the how the word is used.

I have always regarded the word racist as a term that should be used for someone who is intentionally discriminating, should know better or having some sort of evil streak in it. That's the kind of image i get anyway. I think Thais still discriminate but its more about ignorance as opposed to intention and I dont think it has any bad intention in it. They are just brought up to believe all Westerners have money and dont know yet that it isnt right to treat one human different to another human in the same situation.

Although I agree the word racist shouldn't be used I do think that there is quite a bit of discrimination in this country. Not only towards us but actually even within their own people depending on status and skin colour. Watch a day's worth of Thai TV soaps if in doubt. This may be another debate on another thread but thats my view.

The difference in this country is that many foreigners regard it as a non issue because it has no direct harm and most people take the rough with the smooth. What people do is they think just because it has no real harm that is must mean its not discrimination. For example if your here and you get charged more for your chicken and rice because you are perceived by your appearance to have more money then you laugh it off. Back home you would be stunned for 5 minutes, contest it and perhaps even get the company fined or in trouble. So we all know the principle but we allow for it because of other conditions. The fact it happens here and alot more accepted does not change the fact its discrimination, it only changes how we react.

Edited by rinteln