Arrest warrant to be issued for American man who attacked, paralyzed maid in Bangkok

webfact

This attack happened on the 14th apparently after the American had been drinking with 2 female friends and he gets violent after drinking according to the Hotel Manager. ( I guess the manager knows him personally)

I would assume that this attack was in the morning hours as maids normally service apartments prior to lunch. The guy checks out the next day on the 15th so what has taken place between?

Was she left laying paralysed in pain on the floor until he checked out the next day?

Did he call for medical assistance?

Did her employer or family send out a search party and find her in his room?

If he did call for assistance or she was found prior to his checking out then I do not know why the police weren't contacted before he left. Surely she would have been asked by doctors/medical staff what had happened.

It's a bloody miracle... she evidently survived after being paralyzed and not breathing until being rescued the next day. One for the Guiness book it seems.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This attack happened on the 14th apparently after the American had been drinking with 2 female friends and he gets violent after drinking according to the Hotel Manager. ( I guess the manager knows him personally)

I would assume that this attack was in the morning hours as maids normally service apartments prior to lunch. The guy checks out the next day on the 15th so what has taken place between?

Was she left laying paralysed in pain on the floor until he checked out the next day?

If he did call for assistance or she was found prior to his checking out then I do not know why the police weren't contacted before he left. Surely she would have been asked by doctors/medical staff what had happened.

It's a bloody miracle... she evidently survived after being paralyzed and not breathing until being rescued the next day. One for the Guiness book it seems.

Yes its unheard of that conditions get worse, totally impossible.

The guy left without checking out and flew away after this either its a coincidence or he knew he was wrong and tried to escape.

Maid slips on wet floor and injures neck while cleaning a hotel room, after the occupant has checked out.

Oh, my headline doesn't sound so good!

I doubt there would be any headline in that case - accident at work.

People here also asking how he managed to check out without the room being checked. I have had that happen several times here - not even asked about the mini-fridge (not that I usually partake when the 7-11 is a third of the price) - I do think it is some serious risk to take though attempting to with an injured maid laying on your bed. There are many possible scenarios - and he really needs to be put to the question - so either exportation or Thai cops interview him under US police supervision and then, if case is strong enough, extradition. If she dies, even years later, due to the injuries sustained, he may suddenly be guilty of murder, so may be in his interests to fight a serious assault charge rather than the death penalty.

If she had such a cervical fracture she ceased breathing,

she would have been dead where she fell within minutes.

Not really sure how being thrown on a bed coud cause such a injury either.

Maybe if she hit the bed head or wall.

But if she was paralyzed and THEN moved badly or abruptly, as she was 'rescued'

and then was bagged by paramedics and breathing was done externally,

then he didn't cause the injury that stopped her breathing permanently,

but who ever moved her incompetently.

Too many inconstancies, and the hang the farang hue and cry in full bore.

Guilty until proven innocent.

Still sad for the poor maid, I hope she gets better care in future.

Yes there may be a case for negligence too. However, assuming he is guilty, then she would not have sustained further damage (assuming the rescuers caused further damage and not say a bleed putting pressure on the nerves casing damage over time) if she had not received the assault - i.e. there is a chain that resulted (assumptions as said withstanding) with the initial assault and ended with the current state of the individual - if she later dies, then he would be on the line for murder/man slaughter. There was a famous UK case where a baby died from negligent care from a nurse in hospital, the baby was in hospital as the result of a crime (assault I think) and he was found guilty of man slaughter (2nd degree murder) as the whole process started with his crime and ended with a dead baby. Pretty much every country that follows/was based on the old British system, that I know of, has adopted the same conclusion.

It may have been further damage as result of being moved or even negligence, or could have been damage caused by a pressure build up that took time to cause the damage to the nerve stem. If the latter, then getting her to a hospital earlier may well have saved her future or even life. If guilty then, he denied her both.

• Like 1

Great headline guys whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty.

Please remember where you are, or at least the source of the news.

SUSPECTED, is, I assume, the missing word?

The headline is 100% accurate. It is a warrant for his arrest because there is sufficient evidence, not a statement that he is quilty. English is a tricky langauge.

That it is.

Its a rather blanket statement though.

...his word against hers...what happened in the interim...was she drunk...did she subsequently fall down the stairs...

...where are his 2 women friend witnesses....

...who said he is the violent one....

the maids name is withdrawn?

is this her nickname?

Her name has been replaced by an alias to protect her identity.

However, later in the report it gives the full name of her brother from Yasothon.

clap2.gif Nice reporting.

Maid slips on wet floor and injures neck while cleaning a hotel room, after the occupant has checked out.

People here also asking how he managed to check out without the room being checked. I have had that happen several times here - not even asked about the mini-fridge (not that I usually partake when the 7-11 is a third of the price) - I do think it is some serious risk to take though attempting to with an injured maid laying on your bed. There are many possible scenarios - and he really needs to be put to the question - so either exportation or Thai cops interview him under US police supervision and then, if case is strong enough, extradition. If she dies, even years later, due to the injuries sustained, he may suddenly be guilty of murder, so may be in his interests to fight a serious assault charge rather than the death penalty.

He didn't check out, simply left. The hotel will have blocked some cash on his credit card.

She wasn't a maid in the original story. She was one of 3 female guests who joined him to eat and drink in his room. 2 left and one remained to stay the night.

The guy left without checking out and flew away after this either its a coincidence or he knew he was wrong and tried to escape.

My defence would be, she wasn't there when I checked out. I left an empty room.

Hard to counter, would need hard evidence to the contrary to extradite from the USA.

My defence would be, she wasn't there when I checked out. I left an empty room.

Hard to counter, would need hard evidence to the contrary to extradite from the USA.

Not saying the American's in charge of the decision would accept it, but evidence could simply be the testimony of the two girls arriving with her and her still being there when he did a runner. Certainly suspicious.

<snip>

He didn't check out, simply left. The hotel will have blocked some cash on his credit card.

She wasn't a maid in the original story. She was one of 3 female guests who joined him to eat and drink in his room. 2 left and one remained to stay the night.

Thanks for the clarification :) Love the news here, don't like a story, change source it will be completely different in that one!

The headline is 100% accurate. It is a warrant for his arrest because there is sufficient evidence, not a statement that he is quilty. English is a tricky langauge.

100% accurate crap!!! It says 'Arrest warrant to be issued.. for American man WHO attacked, paralyzed, maid'!! No mention of any possibilty of NOT being guilty or of arrest warrant being due to sufficient evidence to charge!!! Of course, it is just the 'headline' but lets not write like no-one else can understand EXACTLY what's being said in it...

Edited by spectrumisgreen
  • Like 1

I've been confused about that detail... One version says maid. Another doesn't. Yet the Thai language source story, via Google translate, seems to talk about the woman being an employee of the hotel... I think!!!

This whole article breathes BS. Hard to believe he was not stopped at the airport departing the country, apprehended soon after the alleged crime. Knowing Thai version of justice, corruption and inability of police investigations they stand a weak chance of ever seeing this guy again if he is back in America. At this point he is innocent until proven guilty unless he was still in Thailand then his chances of getting a fair trial would have been weak considering the victim and alleged outcome of the crime committed. Just my opinion I could be wrong.

So many sad and borderline ridiculous posts on here. Questioning the wording in the article and petty arguments etc etc. If the Thai authorities deem there to be enough evidence to issue an arrest warrant, then I hope they manage to get him to stand trial and if found guilty he should be locked up for a very very long time. Meanwhile there is some poor woman whose life will never be the same.

No doubt one of you will pick holes in what I've said, go for it, seemingly, many have nothing better to do.

Agreed. Some of the dumbest posts here I have seen in a while. Arm chair detectives, arm chair journalists who don't speak five words of thai whining about the English used.

The man needs to be brought back to Thailand to face the charges where ALL of the evidence will be laid out and if guilty he needs to spend a long long time in a thai prison and any assets he may have need to go to the maids medical expenses.

• Like 1

What?? The police in all countries can arrest a "suspect" and don't have to prove them guilty before arresting them. How could they?

If this dude injured this woman to the point where she was not breathing, where were the cops? Watching the muay Thai?

If this dude injured this woman to the point where she was not breathing, where were the cops? Watching the muay Thai?

The cops were most likely somewhere else besides where the maid was injured. What's wrong with that?

What?? The police in all countries can arrest a "suspect" and don't have to prove them guilty before arresting them. How could they?

Police don't arrest guilty people or determine innocence or guilt, that is normally left up to the courts.

• Like 1

This guy might turn out to be a violent psycho and if so rightly should be brought back and put on trial. though that aint going to happen now he's back in the US.

But he may well have been acting in self defense.

I've not spent that much time in thailand maybe 1 year in total over the last 4 years, but i've lost count of the amount of times i've witnessed Thai girls attacking guys Thai and farang alike often with weapons, usually a stiletto shoe heel.

That can kill you if they get a good clean strike on the head, most guys i notice just run away at that point..

Also lots of hotels have big heavy wooden, sharp edged thai style beds, If she was thrown against one of these on her back or chest it could cause serious injury.

Whatever did happen in that hotel room was a tragedy and only two people do know the truth.

• Like 1

Not surprisingly, I just noticed there's a news item on this case in the Pattaya Daily News, which tells a markedly different account that the OP one related above.

In the PDN version, the woman is a waitress at a restaurant in the hotel who, after meeting and chatting with the hotel guest in the restaurant, later agrees to go to his room along with two of her friends.

There's also comment in the article about how her family was angry that the hotel/restaurant didn't or didn't want to report the incident to the police for fear of harming their reputation (and this article likewise still doesn't name the hotel where this occurred). Perhaps an advertiser in the various publications???

And also that the police didn't followup on a complaint the family had filed, leading them to turn to the Paweena Foundation for help.

The article is here:

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/06/13/hotel-waitress-was-physically-assaulted-by-a-foreign-guest/

• Like 1

I think people are under estimating the tenacity of the Thai legal system, there's been high profile examples of the Thai authorities pursuing criminals and having them extradited back to Thailand.

The US authorities are constantly requesting extradition of fugitives from Thailand too, there's been recent threads here on TV of American criminals being arrested by the Thai authorities. This is a path well worn, I've got no doubt that when if this guy is found in the US he will be arrested, whether he eventually gets extradited is something else altogether, but he will certainly be arrested.

I've been confused about that detail... One version says maid. Another doesn't. Yet the Thai language source story, via Google translate, seems to talk about the woman being an employee of the hotel... I think!!!

so did the maid get laid?but didnt get paid.

If you read the PDN account above, it throws in another version, saying she was a waitress in a restaurant in the hotel -- not a maid.

The article makes no mention of drinking or any extracurricular activity... But presumably, she wasn't going with her two friends to the guy's room just to play checkers or make a room service delivery.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

If you read the PDN account above, it throws in another version, saying she was a waitress in a restaurant in the hotel -- not a maid.

The article makes no mention of drinking or any extracurricular activity... But presumably, she wasn't going with her two friends to the guy's room just to play checkers or make a room service delivery.

room service with a smile,"tv.series are you being served" standing up or laying down.

A lot of lawyers and doctors in this thread; or just a few who missed their calling and are pissed off with the world.w00t.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Be more specific; otherwise...

One jealous person in this thread, who missed his or her calling and feels threatened by legitimate questions and opinions.

I have spent the last three weeks visiting the spinal ward. Its makes you grateful.

I don't understand your comment as legitimate questions or opinions should be decided in a court of law in a matter like this.

Some of the comments seen in this thread do not have merit or substance. If my comment makes you feel insecure, then I am sorry for your frail feelings.

At the end of the day one person walks out of the room and another is in hospital with horrific injuries. No one deserves treatment like this.

I have tried to make my comments as simple as I can so you can now understand.

My comment referred to the headline - the standard of editorial integrity. At the moment it is, until proven, an alleged crime. Whatever else you think I said - I didn't. That's all. Edited by borisloosebrain

It sure seems that way ;)

So many sad and borderline ridiculous posts on here. Questioning the wording in the article and petty arguments etc etc. If the Thai authorities deem there to be enough evidence to issue an arrest warrant, then I hope they manage to get him to stand trial and if found guilty he should be locked up for a very very long time. Meanwhile there is some poor woman whose life will never be the same.No doubt one of you will pick holes in what I've said, go for it, seemingly, many have nothing better to do.

Agreed. Some of the dumbest posts here I have seen in a while. Arm chair detectives, arm chair journalists who don't speak five words of thai whining about the English used.The man needs to be brought back to Thailand to face the charges where ALL of the evidence will be laid out and if guilty he needs to spend a long long time in a thai prison and any assets he may have need to go to the maids medical expenses.
You think it's dumb to bring up an inaccurate headline. Are you serious?

Do you have any experience with the law at all? With the fact that the law is comprised of words. That cases are won and lost on such technicalities ?

That to report that a man paralyzed a woman is at this point completely dishonest because it is as yet unproven. Yes it could well be the case but you don't skip over the fact when reporting it that at this stage it is only an allegation.

Nothing armchair about it at all.

Especially when you see that he is now already guilty in the minds of many when the only facts that are clear at this point are that she went to his room and that she is now apparently paralyzed. All else at this point is conjecture and speculation. Let the law takes its course but don't write a headline saying that he did it -not yet. If that simple fact escapes you then ..well go figure.If you were ever in a similar predicament I suspect you would like some of us to raise the same point again.

Anyone who has lived here long enough knows that all is not always as it appears. And if it is then so be it- he will reap what he's sown. By the way passing judgement on peoples' thai language abilities is such a fruitless thing to do when you wouldn't have a clue whether someone can speak read or write the language or not. Just sayin.

Edited by borisloosebrain
  • Like 2