How to add some power to a PCX 150

I think there are posts about upgrading the Variator (?) for different power deliveries. Do a forum search and you will find a few threads on it.

Edited by Garry

More power - change the motor smile.png - -- - change acceleration or top speed, change the variator weights, not much improvement but a little. You want something that will actually give you more engine power although very marginally you will drop a lot of money on it, might be better to just purchase something bigger... Air intake and after market exhaust, you might get an extra 2-3 HP which in the grand scheme of things is nothing and costly.

Edited by commande
  • Like 1

You can increase acceleration a little by installing 15 gram variator weights instead of the standard 18 gram

And by using motul or agip fully synthetic engine oil

Forget about exhaust and airfilter change, they are a waste of time and money

Edited by Greeen

Can change the sprockets.It'll help some.For take off,make the back sprocket bigger,front sprocket smaller.If ya want more top end do the opposite smaller rear sprocket,bigger front sprocket.Other than that bore it out bigger piston,also larger cam and bigger jet on the carb.The easiest get A bigger bike

Can change the sprockets.It'll help some.For take off,make the back sprocket bigger,front sprocket smaller.If ya want more top end do the opposite smaller rear sprocket,bigger front sprocket.Other than that bore it out bigger piston,also larger cam and bigger jet on the carb.The easiest get A bigger bike

Dude, it's an auto transmission scooter it doesn't have sprockets.... smile.png

Edited by commande

Thanks for the tips. But isn't it a twin cylinder engine? So, it probably has 2 carburettors, yes?

Changing the weight in vatiator will increase the acceleration a little but won't change the top speed. Most power you'll provably get by installing a programmer, the most sensible way is to sell your bike and get something with more power. Believe me its not worth dumping money into it, I went that route once and regret it, once you start spending money on it, there's no going back. I have an ATV Suzuki King quad 700cc in Canada, I've got all the upgrades available for it including a 750cc big bore kit and a high coprression piston, over the years I spent on various upgrades about as much as it cost me brand new out the bike dealer and still I can't compete nowhere close to some other bikes that got a lot more power stock and cost a lot less than my bike + all the extras I paid for. Once started upgrading I couldn't stop, always wanted a little more, didn't want to sell it as I would never get what I spent on it so I kept putting more and more $$$ into it. Don't do it!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

variator weights about 450 baht

motul or agip racing oil 350 baht for 1 liter

gives much better acceleration, but no difference in top speed, but you don't really want to be going much faster than the standard 118kmph on a pcx

If we account for the increase in power from using racing oils, may as well do the exhaust and intake, will get more than from using oils.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Dude, it's an auto transmission scooter it doesn't have sprockets.... smile.png

But that is exactly what an after market variator does. Decreases the "front sprocket" for take-off and increases it at the top end. European PCX's already have 15gm weights and an after-market variator still outperforms them as it is developed in Europe to outperform European models of scooters. Changing the weights is only part of the equation, ramp profile and pulley dimensions are also important.

While the naysayers above have argued it is a little bit of an increase percentage wise it is better than say adding a power commander to a 1000cc bike to gain 3-4 hp, which is about 3% or less. An old PCX can get a 19% improvement adding 2 hp. This is only the HP numbers. A new PCX 125 gains 20 kph going up a 5% grade. For a 100kg rider it went from 73 kph to 92 with a J. Costa variator. I think a rider would notice that? (PM and email if you need a copy of the test).

PCX150 vs Forza? Try getting to the front of the lights in BKK on a Forza. Different strokes for different folks. Forza is a good bike but the frugal will be crying in their beer when the SYM GTS25iEvo gets here and is not subject to the over 250cc excise levy. Oh an there is a J. Costa variator for that as well. As will there will be one for Forza if the 300 ever gets to Spain.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

Thanks for the tips. But isn't it a twin cylinder engine? So, it probably has 2 carburettors, yes?

sarcasm_on_zps008f83ba.gif

• Like 1

Where can you get a J Costa variator installed? I am not mechanically inclined at all.... I live in Chiang Mai, I would love to have one installed....

What is the price?

Edited by KennyN
  • Like 1

Where can you get a J Costa variator installed? I am not mechanically inclined at all.... I live in Chiang Mai, I would love to have one installed....

:

What is the price?

You can get a modified variator from the motorcycle tuning shop down chiang moi road for about 1200 baht,

I don't know the name of the shop but its on the right hand side of the road as the road curves to the left

They can modify it for faster acceleration or top speed

What about intake, headers, exhaust, and lights?

The shop sells everything you need

airfilters and exhausts are just cheap copies and should be avoided as they will decrease performance, I know from experience

They can modify it for faster acceleration or top speed

..and therein like the rub. What if you want both?

airfilters and exhausts are just cheap copies and should be avoided as they will decrease performance, I know from experience

Agree with the air filter comment unless you want to fit a bigger rear tire or simply like the look. Removing the rubber thingy from the stock air box will suffice.

Good exhaustwhistling.gif will add about 6%. Not much, but it all help when touring in the hills or when carrying a passenger.

Edited by VocalNeal

sarcasm_on_zps008f83ba.gif

Man your been posting here long enough to know I can't help myself! It's like I am on some sort of digital Yaa Baa. blink.png

Yea, I will be carrying a passenger at times, and in the hills at times, maybe with a passenger lol.

Anyways, how much to upgrade everything on a PCX? Exhaust, headers (?), intake(?), variator, and those cool HID headlights with the led's that go around the outside? I just want a cool ride... What will it cost me?

Yea, I will be carrying a passenger at times, and in the hills at times, maybe with a passenger lol.

Anyways, how much to upgrade everything on a PCX? Exhaust, headers (?), intake(?), variator, and those cool HID headlights with the led's that go around the outside? I just want a cool ride... What will it cost me?

20 to 30 thousand baht if you include wider wheels, tyres and suspension

Seriously, if you want to look cool and drive your shag mobile around just get a Honda Forza 300cc bike. By they time you upgrade that PCX and make it look cool you will have almost or equaled the cost of the Forza and you will still be slow. Besides, that Forza is great on the open road and will carry more passengers thumbsup.gif ...

Maybe put a different variator on the Forza if you want, 300cc is a lot more than 125cc or 150cc PCX.... Lot more bike, money better spent in my opinion and when you go to sell it you will most likely get more money back because the market isn't saturated with those bikes yet; they just came out this year.....

Keep in mind though that it's not the bike or car you drive that pulls tang, it's the depth and fortitude of your wallet BUT with the Forza you will get a little more attention in the beginning because the girls know that bike is expensive so they will automatically assume you have thick wads of cash awaiting liberation from you, everybody has a PCX, old school.

Edited by commande
  • Like 1

Seriously, if you want to look cool and drive your shag mobile around just get a Honda Forza 300cc bike. By they time you upgrade that PCX and make it look cool you will have almost or equaled the cost of the Forza and you will still be slow. Besides, that Forza is great on the open road and will carry more passengers thumbsup.gif ...

Maybe put a different variator on the Forza if you want, 300cc is a lot more than 125cc or 150cc PCX.... Lot more bike, money better spent in my opinion and when you go to sell it you will most likely get more money back because the market isn't saturated with those bikes yet; they just came out this year.....

Keep in mind though that it's not the bike or car you drive that pulls tang, it's the depth and fortitude of your wallet BUT with the Forza you will get a little more attention in the beginning because the girls know that bike is expensive so they will automatically assume you have thick wads of cash awaiting liberation from you, everybody has a PCX, old school.

Interesting point....

I will be moving to Thailand (Chiang Mai) tomorrow from America, so I am very new to this game hahahaha.