Debt in Thailand

In most countries not only must the individual signing the prenuptial agreement understand the contents and effect but also in many one must have independent legal counsel if there is a obvious difference in understanding capacity due to language barriers. If she didn't have independent (not your lawyer, her own) and a translator explain the difference she probably has a good case to argue the prenup should be nullified.

this was never the reason for the posting

My divorce has come and gone and been sign sealed and delivered

stamped by the family court so all your advice re: how she can gain financial profit from marry a farlang is wasted breath, you all sound like bar girls

The subject is about can she loose her hose in Thailand with outstanding debts

I want to know this as there is a 5 year old girl involved here

and I want make sure she is not caught up in a legal mess in Thailand with her

So please back to the posting ???

On the other hand, I know a couple of English guys who had brilliant credit ratings, got as many credit cards as they could and had the maximum cash advance on all of them, took out as many unsecured loans as they could, banks, loan companies etc then pizzed off to Thailand with the money.

One went back after 10 years fearing arrest for fraud charges, nothing, he just has a crap credit rating, can't open a bank account etc, but, there are ways round that too.

Yet in Thailand I imagine it's different, writing a cheque that bounces is a criminal offence.

Writing a cheque that you know you don't have funds to cover in the UK is a criminal offence too - fraud.

In most countries not only must the individual signing the prenuptial agreement understand the contents and effect but also in many one must have independent legal counsel if there is a obvious difference in understanding capacity due to language barriers. If she didn't have independent (not your lawyer, her own) and a translator explain the difference she probably has a good case to argue the prenup should be nullified.

stamped by the family court so all your advice re: how she can gain financial profit from marry a farlang is wasted breath, you all sound like bar girls

If your concern is your daughter and you are considering putting money into accommodation for the family then under no circumstances should you put money into a house in your ex-wife's name. The odds of her squandering that in a new loan spree very high indeed and you are back to square one. Better to rent a condo in your name and provide for your daughter that way.

believe me it wont be letters you need to be worried about.. They will send the mafia around on there motorcycle dressed in all black..2 of them sometimes armed.. Thats how its done here..

That's not happening. Credit card companies don't do that. However, if she has been borrowing from loan sharks, which is the norm here, then Huayrat is exactly right. With all due respect, your wife obviously has a problem, and I would bet my left testicle that she has borrowed generously form loan sharks on top of the credit cards. If so, there are two choices, (2) Go back to Thailand and YOU pay all her debts, perhaps well over a million baht by now, or (2) Stay in Australia. But a word of warning, and I have seen this time and time again, if you pay the debts, chances a good your wife will run them up again without your knowledge. You wouldn't believe how many Thais are closet gambling addicts, often losing their whole family's fortunes. It's sad, but very, very common.

If your concern is your daughter and you are considering putting money into accommodation for the family then under no circumstances should you put money into a house in your ex-wife's name. The odds of her squandering that in a new loan spree very high indeed and you are back to square one. Better to rent a condo in your name and provide for your daughter that way.

yes my concern is my daughter, as I am a believer in the fact she need time to be with her natural mother as well as her dad, (she is daddies girl)

We are divorced and seperated, and she has a new boyfriend so there is no financial contact with me at this time any more, he is the money tree these days

One of the main reasons we are not together is I bought a Condo and not a house ( that makes me a stingy Man)

believe me it wont be letters you need to be worried about.. They will send the mafia around on there motorcycle dressed in all black..2 of them sometimes armed.. Thats how its done here..

That's not happening. Credit card companies don't do that. However, if she has been borrowing from loan sharks, which is the norm here, then Huayrat is exactly right. With all due respect, your wife obviously has a problem, and I would bet my left testicle that she has borrowed generously form loan sharks on top of the credit cards. If so, there are two choices, (2) Go back to Thailand and YOU pay all her debts, perhaps well over a million baht by now, or (2) Stay in Australia. But a word of warning, and I have seen this time and time again, if you pay the debts, chances a good your wife will run them up again without your knowledge. You wouldn't believe how many Thais are closet gambling addicts, often losing their whole family's fortunes. It's sad, but very, very common.

S

Sorry you did not read the full posting

We are no longer together and she has a new man

I already have a new Thai wife and a Condo so I now live 50% Thailand and 50% Australia

My only worry is my daughter getting caught up in her stupidity, while she stays with mum in her time share

• 3 weeks later...

My SIL borrowed ฿100,000 using the chanot on the family rice farm. She had the loan for about ten years and I don't think she ever made any payments on it. The loan was with the Agicultural Bank. Finally they wanted the loan paid back or the land would be forfeited. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but I know I paid ฿50,000 plus a small service charge and the loan was paid off and the chanot returned.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

When ex wife went to sign the mortgage papers, they found out she a $1000 that's been not paid to AIA, they waived all interest for immediate payment. The third party collector did make a nuisance of himself before tiring out.

Refused to pay for her then cos she refused to disclose what it was spent on. We had surplus cash flow then,I guess the younger brother was busy changing wives at her expense.