Don Mueang election: Door-to-door campaign worked well

webfact

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
Door-to-door campaign worked well: Tankhun

June 18, 2013 1:00 am

30208523-02_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Tankhun Jitt-itsara, who won a historic poll in Don Muang to become the first Democrat MP in 37 years in the constituency, spoke to The Nation's Budsarakham Sinlapalavan yesterday.

Q : How do you feel about your victory in Don Muang district?

I'm so grateful that I and the Democrat Party can write a new history for Don Muang district. It's the first time in 37 years that the party has won in Don Muang. I promise to work with all my ability [for people in the area].

Q : Yuranunt said that he was defeated in this election because he had less time to campaign. Was that the reason for his defeat?

I think he misunderstood about the number of days. If he said he had only 18 days in his election campaign, so I had only 18 days too. But all the time Pheu Thai said they had a good team, so why did Yuranunt fail in this election? I think he failed in this election because Pheu Thai had the wrong campaign strategy. The majority of their campaigning was via a car with loudspeakers - not walking door to door like me. I walked from the early morning till early in the evening. Moreover the Pheu Thai team had Bangkok city councillors and Bangkok district councillors, but I only had one Bangkok city councillor.

Q : What was the strong point in terms of strategy in your campaign?

Visiting people door-to-door and sincerity [with voters]. Moreover, we used a "country trying to earnestly help a district" strategy. We used MPs and walked door-to-door all day. I think the close up [contact] between me and people started during my door-to-door campaign, so when we were together with people they could see my sincerity.

Q : Did you get any threats during your election campaign?

Some people shook foot clappers and booed me when I visited their community. But I didn't respond because I understand. But I'm alert myself, and my team, to be careful when we visit people, because anybody can walk and talk with us. Moreover, we don't know who has goodwill or feels malicious toward me and my team. So, seniors in the party coordinated with police to take care of our team. But I am sure that I can walk in the market alone.

On Sunday, after I had won, more people went to my sub-head office party to give me moral support, but some people who drove cars honked their horns and opened the door and said "We don't want you!"

Q : What about your goal to have a career as a politician?

I would like to be an education minister because I think education is the most important thing for children. I think politicians are volunteers who push policies forward. If I have chance to be an education minister I would push for virtue in education policies.

Moreover, I think children should be allowed to find out themselves what sort of work they want to do.

Q : What did seniors in the party teach you?

Ong-art Klampaiboon told me that I should walk around and talk with people in the evening to show them that I am sincere. And he taught me to write letters by hand to show people our intentions. Ong-art said a long time ago he would go to cut his hair, but the [barbershop] owner didn't like him or the Democrats. But Ong-art went there many times to have his hair cut and finally the owner liked him because he was sincere with him.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-18

DON MUANG BY-ELECTION
Personal factors behind poll win

The Nation

30208522-01_big.jpg

Plus govt's popularity is also waning due to adverse publicity over its failed policies and schemes

BANGKOK: -- The Democrat Party sees the narrow win by its candidate Tankhun Jitt-itsara over Pheu Thai's Yuranunt Pamornmontri in the Don Muang by-election as a conquest over the ruling party's 37-year stronghold.

The Democrat beat Yuranunt by 2,000 votes.

But observers say a key factor that contributed to the Democrat's win is that voters judged candidates on an individual basis rather than the party they represent.

But this doesn't necessarily mean that the voters totally dismissed the parties, because ballot results show prominent candidates from other smaller parties did not make a significant dent in the poll.

Yet statistics from the three previous elections in this district - the July 3, 2011 general election, the city governor's election on March 3 and the latest by-election - show that the Democrats are slowly taking over the Pheu Thai stronghold.

Though the opposition won the Pathum Thani by-election in April last year, it suffered a humiliating defeat in the Chiang Mai this April when the voters threw their support wholeheartedly behind Pheu Thai candidate Yaowapa Wongsawat.

Pheu Thai had predicted that the margin of its victory was no more than 7 per cent and party analysts said this margin was derived from the candidate, not the party sentiment.

The party defended its defeat by saying that Yuranunt only had 18 days to campaign, while the competition had two whole years to win the hearts of the locals by helping them fight the flooding problems.

Tankhun also gained voters' sympathy when his canvasser was shot dead. Besides, Democrat leaders helped him solicit votes through daily door-knocking campaign.

Just because Pheu Thai's Karun Hosakul had been a favourite in Don Muang, it does not mean the voters would automatically opt for Yuranunt. Plus, the government is losing its popularity due to the adverse publicity it is gaining from the rice-pledging scheme, the Bt350-billion water project and the Bt2-trillion infrastructure scheme.

Pheu Thai strategists will have to work hard if they don't want the capital to become a weakness, although the Democrats should not be too content and take this victory for granted.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-18

If K. Tankhun can avoid the appearance of corruption for at least one term, a lot of minds will be changed about the intentions of the whole Democrat Party. Time will tell if K. Tankhun has the backbone and willpower to stand up to the people in his own party who want to 'make a deal'. I hope he makes the best of this rare opportunity to show he is better than the PTP.

The topic title "Don Mueang election: Door-to-door campaign worked well" is a bit misleading as a previous news item had

"Many pollsters are also shifting their focus on Tankhun emerging as a winner, prompting Pheu Thai to boost the number of its door-to-door campaign teams from nine to 27."

Anyway, Pheu Thai party list MP Yingluck goes on record saying that this wasn't a big loss.

Complaints hold back Tankhun's endorsement

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Whether Democrat candidate Tankhun Jittissara gets endorsed as MP depends very much on whether the Election Commission agrees to look into the three petitions filed against him, election commissioner Sodsri Satayatham said Tuesday.

She said the Bangkok Election Commission reported that three petitions had be lodged against Tankhun, and if the EC decides to accept any of them, it would have to complete an investigation within 30 days from the day of voting.

If the investigation is not completed in time, the EC will have to endorse Tankhun and complete the probe within a year.

Here we go, shades of BKK.

The sore losers are back in action again.

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Whether Democrat candidate Tankhun Jittissara gets endorsed as MP depends very much on whether the Election Commission agrees to look into the three petitions filed against him, election commissioner Sodsri Satayatham said Tuesday.

She said the Bangkok Election Commission reported that three petitions had be lodged against Tankhun, and if the EC decides to accept any of them, it would have to complete an investigation within 30 days from the day of voting.

If the investigation is not completed in time, the EC will have to endorse Tankhun and complete the probe within a year.

Not so hasty, young master Robby. The newsflash (article?) doesn't mention anything about the complaints, nor who lodged them.

Anyway I'm convinced it wasn't Ms. Yingluck as she said it wasn't a big loss anyway.

Robby nz, on 18 Jun 2013 - 17:40, said:snapback.png

The Nation

Not so hasty, young master Robby. The newsflash (article?) doesn't mention anything about the complaints, nor who lodged them.

Anyway I'm convinced it wasn't Ms. Yingluck as she said it wasn't a big loss anyway.

So it is only the headline that says complaints.

However Rubi the three petitions would be unlikely to be congratulating him would they?

You don't believe it would be Yingluck and I don't believe it would be Abhisit so lets have your next guess.

Robby nz, on 18 Jun 2013 - 17:40, said:snapback.png

The Nation

So it is only the headline that says complaints.

However Rubi the three petitions would be unlikely to be congratulating him would they?

You don't believe it would be Yingluck and I don't believe it would be Abhisit so lets have your next guess.

Pheu Thai party spokesman Prompong comes to mind somehow, a few Pheu Thai MPs, some 'concerned' citizens, a certain ex-senator who likes filing cases.

After my first beer tonight I may have some even more interesting guesses smile.png

Why is it so difficult to accept a straightforward explanation?

- The Democrat candidate ran a better campaign than the PTP candidate.

- Governments rarely win byelections.

True, true. With two by-elections in a month we got k. Tankhun and Ms. Yaowapa whistling.gif

After some plodding and probing I found this on the three complaints filed with the EC.

"Veera Yeephrae, the Bangkok Election Committee chairman, said one complaint had been filed by a representative of a candidate and two by eligible voters.
All of the three complaints accused Mr Tankhun of breaking election law by putting up campaign posters claiming to have been appointed as the coordinator of a project to build an asphalt road in Don Muang area. They alleged this could have misled voters."

Anyway, for those who did worry, there is no need to. K. Yuranunt has already found a well deserve job elsewhere:

The cabinet approved the appointment of Yuranunt "Sam" Pamornmontri as an adviser to Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan at its meeting on Wednesday.