Celtic String Music

Dej

Hi :D :

I am Thai-Chinese, who is young at heart. I am amateur string instrumentalist. I love all kind of music, especially the acoustics.

Is it possible to find someone who enjoy to play Celtic string music in Bandkok or nearby?

:D:D:o

Hope I am not alone for this taste.

:D:D:D

i dont know any irish string musicians, tho i know a guy who plays the bodhran (an irish drum)

now if u like traditional irish music. i do recommend this group called planxty. try to get the cd from a good cd shop. they have it amazon.com, btw.

now. there is more to irish music than fiddles and uilleann pipes. the next time u listen to irish folk songs try to listen to the lyrics.

a few for u to search on the net.

1. the well below the valley.

2. the winds that shakes the barley.

3. i am stretched on your grave

just to name a few. trust me. a good irish friend of mine told me that the irish have made being depressing an art form. his words, not mine.

alternatively, go to an irish pub and ask around. im sure there are a few in bkk.

have fun!

Edited by boybrat

Thank for you information. :D

But I mostly enjoy string music, not wind or percussion. :D

I have heard a lot of Celtic music, Irish Scottish Wale and Britain.

There're a lot of my favourite Celtic artists e.g. Aly Bain, Kevin Burke, Dougie McClean, The Pentangle, The Corr, Enya etc.

I don't drink and smoke so I don't go to any Pub. :o

if you are into ethereal music, i also recommend lisa gerrard and dead can dance (recommended albums: "aion" and " into the labyrinth"). NOT necessarily strings but BEAUTIFUL music. give them a listen. trust me. and i do recommend that you listen to some of kate bush's songs. her earlier songs have lots of irish influence:

1. the sensual world (from the sensual world album)

2. the jig of life (you will LOVE this one. lots of strings from her "hounds of love" album)

3. flight of the swallow (from "the dreaming" album)

4. and my favourite song: wuthering heights (of course!!!!*grin*)

enya is ok until shepherd moons. for the corrs, i only like the first album. you might want to listen to MAIRE BRENNAN and/or CLANNAD. there is also this teenybopper pop group called B*witched....

u dont have to drink or smoke in a pub. tho smoking and drinking is fun!!!!haha!

in fact, in uk, going to the pub is almost like a family event where u can chow down on pub grub like shepherd's pie, haggis and other stodgy stuff.

so put a 4 leaf clover in your buttonhole and scuttle down to your nearest irish pub. NOW!!!!!

who knows? u might even hook up with a nice, decent blue eyed/black haired irish lad called paddy who has hairy forearms. *swoon*

if you are into ethereal music, i also recommend lisa gerrard and dead can dance (recommended albums: "aion" and " into the labyrinth"). NOT necessarily strings but BEAUTIFUL music. give them a listen. trust me. and i do recommend that you listen to some of kate bush's songs. her earlier songs have lots of irish influence:

1. the sensual world (from the sensual world album)

2. the jig of life (you will LOVE this one. lots of strings from her "hounds of love" album)

3. flight of the swallow (from "the dreaming" album)

4. and my favourite song: wuthering heights (of course!!!!*grin*)

enya is ok until shepherd moons. for the corrs, i only like the first album. you might want to listen to MAIRE BRENNAN and/or CLANNAD. there is also this teenybopper pop group called B*witched....

u dont have to drink or smoke in a pub. tho smoking and drinking is fun!!!!haha!

in fact, in uk, going to the pub is almost like a family event where u can chow down on pub grub like shepherd's pie, haggis and other stodgy stuff.

so put a 4 leaf clover in your buttonhole and scuttle down to your nearest irish pub. NOW!!!!!

who knows? u might even hook up with a nice, decent blue eyed/black haired irish lad called paddy who has hairy forearms. *swoon*

Thank you very much for your recommemdationssss :D

I think Lisa's music and Georgian Chant is alike.

Probably you can be a very good monk. :D:o:D

I heard one album of Clannad many years ago, and it is OK.

In fact I will not go to UK anymore. :D:D

Did you experience any pub in Thailand which offer any good celtic string music?

I bored of hook up with any faked black haired lad. :D:D

Is there any real black hair Irish people?

Genetically real blond is possible but not real black hair, I believe. :D

My blonde kid moved to Ireland and married a light brown-haired girl. Their baby is very blond. I joked that the black-haired babies are probably shipped out to other countries, but yes, I saw enough black-haired children who didn't seem to be immigrants, that there must be some out there.

A naturally blond couple can only have blond children, but their kids can marry non-blonds and have black haired children. My kids and grandkids proved it.

well. i dated a few black/dark haired irish guys. trust me, they had REAL black hair. i checked.*evil grin*

lisa gerrard = gregorian chant? u reckon? :D

do do do listen to dearest kate! she's fabulous!

i forgot to recommened u this group called mediaeval baebes. give them a listen. they perform period songs. some of them do include lute, cello, fiddle instrumentations.

bro. ive never been to an irish pub in bkk. tho im sure u can find a listing in BK magazine. when i was in uk, i love by bitters and my strongbow cider...heh!

btw, me? a monk? alas! tired to be a NUN at the convent of the allerged virgin but got thrown out for wearing crotchless knickers under my habit.

peaceblondie: u are a GRANDFATHER??? whoa! congrats! oh my! :o

Edited by boybrat