Compartmenting of hard drive

loong

I am running on Windows XP.

When I bought the computer, the hard drive was divided up into c, d and e.

Everything that downloads and any files that I add go into c.

Now I am in the position that the c drive is full and many things I am unable to do without freeing up disc space.

It bugs me that 2 thirds of the hard drive have nothing in them. It seems ridiculous that I have a 150GB hard drive but can only use 50 GB.

Is there any way that I can use the space in the d and e drives without completely reformatting?

I don't want to simply move files in Windows Explorer as I realise that the paths will be disrupted.

I( am just a computer user that has no idea what goes on inside it.

Can any body please give me a clue as to how I can make the space in d and e available?

If you don't want to merge partitions, you can easily move the location of My Documents as described here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310147

and have Windows move the files, too.

This won't disrupt any paths.

Change that to, say, d: and then move your music and vids to new folders on e: and let your media player library know the new locations. When you download, save to e:. Your browser will have an option to let you select e: as default or let you elect to be asked each time where you want to save to.

Media player libraries can use multiple media folders, so you can spread your files among the partitions if needed.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

Tell the computer to save the programs to one of the other drives.

No need to partition or merge the drive(s) you already have seperate drives.

Where you download something, the computer generally asks you where you want to download it to. Simply change the drive letter from C to D or E and the progs be they movies or whatever to that drive.

If these are movies and music files we are talking about and you want to move them to a different drive, do so easily.

Start

My computer

Double left click the mouse to open the C drive.

Click the folder you want to move (or copy) to your d drive (the folder will turn blue)

At the top of the screen left click EDIT

Click copy to folder

A new screen appears.

Click the drive you want to copy the folder to.

It will ask if you wish to make a new folder (your choice here - I have one for movies, one for tv, one for torrents etc.)

Then click on the copy button.

** I'd do it with a small file that is not very important to you to start with in case you make any mistakes.

Some people will say that is not a good idea, but I download files constantly (24 hours a day) to my H drive and simply copy them to the drive I want to send them to. IF the copy fails for whatever reason (power cut or some computer malfunction) you do not lose the data in the files.

In the last 4 days I have downloaded over 80 torrents and have moved them to the drive I want to have them on. All my 'wildlife' files that the g/f wants to watch are stored on my L drive and then transferred to a USB thumb drive for her to plug into the DVD player to watch them.

Yes you can MOVE the files in the same way as described above but you stand a greater risk of losing data in some circumstances.

Once you have copied a file or folder over simply delete that file / folder from the C drive. Then empty the recycle bin only once you are sure you have the file / folder saved.

Easy once you have done it a few times and you need no special program to do it with.

Now you have free space on the drive.

Obviously do not move program files, but movies, music etc should pose no problem at all..

Edited by pattayadingo

+1 for JSixpack s Microsoft link, since you already have D and E partitions move 'My Documents' to D, could be GigaBytes in size.

After, as said, you could use E: for Music Photos or downloads.

But, just in case, back up first.

Thanks for all the advice people thumbsup.gif

I used JSixpack's suggestion and it was very straightforward although I had to create the folder first

Cleared a lot of space on my C drive and everything is working fine.

I don't know what I was so nervous about. :D

Many Many Thanks clap2.gif