Bangkok expressway tolls to rise

webfact

Bangkok expressway tolls to rise
By Coconuts Bangkok

expressway_resize.jpg

Tolls on Bangkok expressways will soon rise by five to ten baht.

BANGKOK: -- Expressway and Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand (Exat) governor Aiyanat Tinapai announced recently in a written statement that a toll hike for the urban expressway network will be implemented on Sep. 1, while the suburban toll hike will happen Nov. 1.

Urban network tolls will rise from THB45 to THB50 for four-wheelers, from THB70 to THB75 for vehicles with six to 10 wheels, and THB100 to THB110 for trucks with more than 10 wheels.

He didn't give any information for the increase in suburban network tolls.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/06/19/bangkok-expressway-tolls-rise

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-06-19

outrageous increase , the toll is already more expensive than Europe , drive 2km or 20km and its the same price.... if there were alternative roads I could understand but there are nothing else than those express way or toll way. Means from my house to the airport will cost 340 baht return.... bah.gifbah.gif

• Like 2

outrageous increase , the toll is already more expensive than Europe , drive 2km or 20km and its the same price.... if there were alternative roads I could understand but there are nothing else than those express way or toll way. Means from my house to the airport will cost 340 baht return.... bah.gif:bah:

There are plenty of other alternatives. Not sure where your house is, but the toll way out to Suvarnabhumi has a major road under it. The Don Muang expressway also has a major road under it. There are also other free alternatives.

Of course, it might take several hours, but if your time isn't valuable and you don't want to pay tolls, they are there.

• Like 2

I hope it will mean more money for shareholders of BECL thumbsup.gif

Actually, at the moment that share doesn't pay a dividend?

Maybe, in the future they might.

They pay a dividend and the withholding tax is only 10% :)

Currently the tolls are expensive enough that many local people can not afford them on a daily basis and as such this just causes a higher density on normal roads leading to the endles traffic jams.

Furthermore commercial vehicles , 8 and 10 wheelers are being subsidized as they take up far more than two times the space than a passenger car, yet the toll is only twice the car charge.

As these trucks are commercial vehicles and derive their income from these roads I would have thought that the toll fee would have reflected this. Conversley, if the tolls for large commercial vehicles were raised according to the space they occupy then the operators would abandon the toll ways and further conjest the other roads.

I think that the fundemental behind these already exhorbitant tolls is based on greed and cronieism.

• Like 2

Some uneducated troll posted a topic, that is now closed, how great the roads are in Thailand, this same troll probably thinks this new tax is fair. Considering how much money the government collects from the toll system the roads should be fantastic but the roads in Thailand are pure crap. Drive over the boarder into Malaysia and you will find a well run road system.

I need to get out of BKK and into the mountains.

Edited by vijer
  • Like 1

I hope it will mean more money for shareholders of BECL thumbsup.gif

Actually, at the moment that share doesn't pay a dividend?

Maybe, in the future they might.

They pay a dividend and the withholding tax is only 10% smile.png

Yeh ... right there, I must have been confused with another Stock, apologies.

I used to own them, but made a profit and sold out.

I like the infrastructure style Stocks.

From the Bloomberg website I see they are currently returning 3.92%

I prefer a 100% price increase on tollway fees.

I prefer a Bangkok road tax, anyone using any kind of road in Bangkok should pay 5000 a month.

I also prefer more strict vehicle checks once a year. No more loud noise, smells etc.

I also prefer a province wide ban for trucks from 4pm til 9pm.

I prefer a limited amount of taximeters for the Bangkok province on duty of 10,000. Taxies are supposed to be luxury thing, not a twice a day thing. Take the public transport instead.

More buses, new cleaner busses, more frequent bts/mrt , increase with 100%. I like to sit, not stand and almost become claustrophobic of the ppl pushing and pressing on ya

Sorry just needed to vent :)

• Like 1

Some uneducated troll posted a topic, that is now closed, how great the roads are in Thailand, this same troll probably thinks this new tax is fair. Considering how much money the government collects from the toll system the roads should be fantastic but the roads in Thailand are pure crap. Drive over the boarder into Malaysia and you will find a well run road system.

Because some one disagrees with you the he is a " troll ". I am not sure if you need to "get out of BKK and into the mountains" or get out of BKK and back into the tree. Obvious neanderthal. Didnt have freedom of speach and opinion in the caveman days hey Senior Member Vijer

That's going to add 100-150 Baht to my (already considerable) weekly commute costs (exactly how much depends on my route on a particular day).

That's 3 large Changs that I won't drink sad.png

That's going to add 100-150 Baht to my (already considerable) weekly commute costs (exactly how much depends on my route on a particular day).

Makes for safer driving smile.png

Edited by harrry

I walked I to that one Harrry, by failing to note that the Changs would normally have been consumed after my safe arrival home :)

I walked I to that one Harrry, by failing to note that the Changs would normally have been consumed after my safe arrival home smile.png

Thought you might need them to fortify you for the Thai drivingsmile.png

Edited by harrry

This increase is in line with BECL's agreement with EXAT (the govt agency in charge of the roads). Every 5 years BECL is entitled to a 5 baht toll fee rise, although approval with EXAT is required. There have been several instances when the toll wasn't raised, so its hard to say this isn't fair. EXAT basically looks at inflation over the 5 years, and if it is enough, then the toll hike is granted.

Yes this is good for shareholders, but I was surprised BECL's stock didn't move THAT much yesterday...it might have been priced-in already

Because some one disagrees with you the he is a " troll ". I am not sure if you need to "get out of BKK and into the mountains" or get out of BKK and back into the tree. Obvious neanderthal. Didnt have freedom of speach and opinion in the caveman days hey Senior Member Vijer

Well callaway either you have reinvented yourself (created a new account to hide your past), hence the few (9) posts, or you are indeed new here. If you are indeed new here then perhaps you should find the post I am referring to and decide if they disagree with me or if they are a troll. But one only has to go out the door to see empirical proof that the roads in Thailand are anything but good. Unless you come from a backwater country that has roads worse than Thailand, but I suspect most TV members are from the UK, Australia, the USA, Germany, etc. where roads are properly designed and built.

• 3 months later...