Don Mueang by-election: EC to probe claims that Tankhun flouted election laws

webfact

EC to probe claims that Tankhun flouted election laws
Chanikarn Phumhiran,
Akkarachai Kantamala
The Nation

30208773-01_big.jpg
Tankhun

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Election Commission has decided to conduct an investigation into Democrat MP-elect Tankhun Jitt-itsara, following accusations he violated election laws while campaigning for the Don Muang by-election.

Supoj Paibul, chairman of the Bangkok EC, said Bangkok election director Weera Yiprae had informed the EC's head office that the Bangkok EC would investigate Tankhun following complaints by two voters, which were submitted to the EC by failed Pheu Thai candidate Yuranunt Pamornmontri.

The two voters allege that Tankhun tried to influence people to vote for him by putting up posters demonstrating road modifications allegedly made by the Democrats.

The complaint stated that the posters had appeared a few days before the election, while Tankhun was campaigning at the Romsai Ngarm and Pattana Taland Klang communities.

Yuranunt said he was not directly responsible for making the complaint and was only filing it on behalf of the two voters, who had sent him the evidence.

"They sent me a photo and all the evidence claiming that there were posters about the Democrat Party's road modifications in the two communities - two to three days before the election," said Yuranunt. "All I did was to file the petition I received from the local people. Basically I did my duty," he added.

Tankhun has flatly denied any wrongdoing.

"I still don't know [what] they are accusing me of. All my posters were from the party," said Tankhun.

"I hear that they are saying I used fake posters. If he [Yuranunt] accuses me of anything disreputable, I will sue him."

Supoj said a subcommittee would try to finish the probe in 20 days. However, the panel can extend the probe deadline twice, each time for 15 days, if it needs to carry out further investigations.

Supoj said it would be up to the EC whether it intended to endorse Tankhun's victory before the subcommittee finished its probe into the allegations.

However, even if Tankhun was endorsed, the EC could later ask the court to disqualify him, if he was found to be in violation of election laws.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-21

Yuranunt said he was not directly responsible for making the complaint and was only filing it on behalf of the two voters, who had sent him the evidence.

Basically I did my duty," he added

So the failed Pheu Thai candidate is now trying to hide behind someone else by saying he is only doing his duty, as a what?

He is a nothing now, not an MP, soap star or anything else only an EX.

Bit late now to try to weasel out, you made the complaint and if it is dismissed you are the one in the poo.

From that sort of a statement it would seem the DM voters chose the right man.

• Like 2

Please guys, don't get upset! At least no one complaint the posters were too small.rolleyes.gif

We just have this new advisor to Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan doing his duty as law abiding citizen. Let's wait for the pictures to follow.

BTW are all accusations of electorial fraud against the Bangkok governor already cleared?

Pretty pathetic and desperate attempt to overturn the result due no doubt to realising any future career is probably limited to auditioning for underarm whitening products.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

If the 2 voters were so incensed at an illegal poster, they might have pulled it down, before or after the election, to use as evidence.

Please note that to take down election posters before the election is an offence rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Does this come as any surprise to anyone?

'this'? As the Election Commission already mentioned the complaints immediately after the election (without mentioning who had raised the complaints), no surprise today five days later whistling.gif

Seems if you breath wrong or look the wrong way you are in violation of the election laws in this country.

Don't get the election laws and the defamation/libel laws mixed up now, otherwise you might find yourself on the wrong side of one or all and sundry ;)

Pretty pathetic and desperate attempt to overturn the result due no doubt to realising any future career is probably limited to auditioning for underarm whitening products.

Why would somebody want white underarms and does that include bleaching the hairs!!!

No - and if this proves to be the scam put up job it looks like, I'm sure other claims will follow. Or the DSI will be instructed to investigate him, all in the interests of democracy of course.

Everyone knows that the people love PTP so how could anyone beat then fairly, in a seat they held for 37 years. Must be some shananigans here - but thankfully PTP members will do their duty thumbsup.gif

If the 2 voters were so incensed at an illegal poster, they might have pulled it down, before or after the election, to use as evidence.

Were the posters put up before, during or after, and by whom? Who knows, unless the CCTV was working cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Boo hoo hoo. That nasty Democrat beat me a a fair election.

They must have cheated somehow.

I know I will ask friendly Uncle Thaksin for some advice

He was always good at winning cheating in elctions and this is the result.

WAKE UP you dozy little boy. You lost the election, now live with it. The real world is not what the PTP told you.

• Like 1

Tankhun says; "I hear that they are saying I used fake posters. If he [Yuranunt] accuses me of anything disreputable, I will sue him."

Which translated means, don't sue me i'm just following orders.

Another dose of sour grapes, nothing astounds us more than an after the election victory blood letting, only made in Thailand, PTP you lost the election , take it on the chin like a real man and get on with it , god don't ya get tired of these spiffscoffee1.gif .

Here we go,bad looser s,cannot accept the results.its not possible we lost people love us !

regards Worgeordie

I can not believe you said this! Look a the reason this by election was held in the first place..... pot calling the kettle black!!!

WAKE UP you dozy little boy. You lost the election, now live with it. The real world is not what the PTP told you.

Boo hoo WHO... This guy Tankhum ran to the courts to force this election in the first place. I think you crowd have a memory half that of a gold fish!

Why would somebody want white underarms and does that include bleaching the hairs!!!

If you can bear to watch Thai tv all will be revealed:-)

No - and if this proves to be the scam put up job it looks like, I'm sure other claims will follow. Or the DSI will be instructed to investigate him, all in the interests of democracy of course.

Everyone knows that the people love PTP so how could anyone beat then fairly, in a seat they held for 37 years. Must be some shananigans here - but thankfully PTP members will do their duty Posted Image

The usual confusion between winning/losing elections and Democracy

Boo hoo WHO... This guy Tankhum ran to the courts to force this election in the first place. I think you crowd have a memory half that of a gold fish!

I take it that you do remember his complaints, which were upheld in court. Should this sort of slander just be part of the rough and tumble?