Third of Jordanian teens believe 'honor killings' justified, study shows

News_Editor

AMMAN, JORDAN (BNO NEWS) -- Approximately one third of teenagers in the Middle Eastern nation of Jordan believe that so-called 'honor killings,' in which a woman is murdered for dishonoring or bringing shame to her family, is justified, according to a study released on Thursday.

Researchers from Cambridge University surveyed over 850 students in the Jordanian capital of Amman, revealing that almost half of boys and one in five girls believe that killing a daughter, sister or wife who has dishonored or shamed her family is justified. A third of all teenagers who participated in the study advocated the brutal practice.

According to the researchers, the attitudes are far more likely in adolescent boys with low education backgrounds and it did not appear to be linked to religious beliefs. Instead, the main factors include patriarchal and traditional worldviews, emphasis placed on female 'virtue,' and a more general belief that violence against others is morally justified.

The study, which is published in the journal Aggressive Behavior, suggests a large proportion of teenagers in Jordan believe that killing a woman deemed to have dishonored her family is "morally right," and the findings reveal "risk factors" for attitudes in support of the vigilante murder of women as justifiable punishment in instances of perceived dishonor.

"While we found the main demographic in support of honor killing attitudes to be boys in traditional families with low levels of education, we noted substantial minorities of girls, well-educated and even irreligious teenagers who consider honor killing morally right, suggesting a persisting society-wide support for the tradition," said Professor Manuel Eisner of Cambridge University's Institute of Criminology.

The researchers sampled a total of 856 ninth graders, who were 15 on average, from a range of secondary schools across Amman, including private and state schools as well as mixed-sex and single-gender. Participants completed a questionnaire, asking teenagers to indicate their opinion in relation to different situations where it may be justified to kill a person.

In total, 33.4 percent of all respondents either "agreed" or "strongly agreed" with situations depicting honor killings. Boys were more than twice as likely to support honor killings: 46.1 percent of boys and 22.1 percent of girls agreed with at least two honor killing situations in the questionnaire.

The results showed the level of support for honor killings was the highest at the lowest level of educational background, from which 61 percent of teenagers showed supportive attitudes towards the practice. In contrast, only 21.1 percent of teenagers were in support of honor killings where at least one family member has a university degree.

Up until 2001, Jordan's Penal Code allowed men to injure or kill their wives if she was caught having sex with another man, but the government has increasingly criminalized the practice in recent years. A special court to prosecute honor crimes was established in 2009, but cultural support for violence against women remains widespread.

"Any meaningful attempt to reduce attitudes in support of such practices requires a broader societal commitment, including coherent messages against honor-related violence from political and religious elites, and decisive action by the criminal justice system," Eisner said, adding that the researchers hope their research will allow governments to take firm action against attitudes that condone honor killings.

(Copyright 2013 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: [email protected].)

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This kind of thinking is rampant in the Muslim world.

Although Islam does not specifically endorse killing female family members, some honor killings involve allegations of adultery or apostasy, which are punishable by death under Shari'a (Islamic law). Thus, the belief that women who stray from the path can be rightly murdered is consistent with such Islamic teachings. However, honor killing in Islamic countries is primarily a tribal tradition that emphasizes the family or the tribe or the community over the individual. It is interesting to note that the largest Islamic country by way of population, Indonesia, has very few honor killings, the same as Malayasia and Thailand.

Of the currently estimated 5,000 honor killing worldwide, 1,000 are carried out by Hindus in India.

Islam doing well, scoring 4 out of 5.... By the way what century are we living in.....? And Muslims continue to feel alienated in the western world, as we should respect their culture and beliefs .... <deleted>

read the article?

According to the researchers, the attitudes are far more likely in adolescent boys with low education backgrounds and it did not appear to be linked to religious beliefs. Instead, the main factors include patriarchal and traditional worldviews, emphasis placed on female 'virtue,' and a more general belief that violence against others is morally justified.

Western countries simply need to draw line on certain cultural practices and not back down. Easier said than done though.

in western countries it is called domestic violence.

In western countries, there are the same kinds of honor killings generally done by certain cultural groups and they are being recognized as such.

read the article?

Please don't make assumptions about which answer you may have thought I wanted.

Can't get my head around the concept. I've read a few times where the woman was raped and it was her fault and was stoned or otherwise for bringing 'dishonor' to the family. Well the dishonor I see is in those who support and engage is such atrocities.

• Like 1

Of the currently estimated 5,000 honor killing worldwide, 1,000 are carried out by Hindus in India.

And the other 4,000 are?

Just pointing out it's not an exclusively Muslim cultural issue

Edited by simple1

Western countries simply need to draw line on certain cultural practices and not back down. Easier said than done though.

in western countries it is called domestic violence.

There have been many debates on this matter and the common conclusion is that domestic violence does not have the same motivations or cultural context as honour killing. In addition the vast majority of domestic violence in the West ending in death is between "intimate partners"; this is not the case with honour killings.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

According to a study carried out by feminist Phyllis Chessler the incidence of honour killings in Muslim families is 91% of the total, not 80%. Jordan recently tried to amend the law, which currently allows murderers to be released from jail after two years if the murder was due to honour, the attempt foundered on significant resistance from religious conservatives. One more snippet, Pakistan used to be the world leader for honour killings, but this dubious title has been taken by rapidly re-Islamising Turkey.

If all of this seems distant and far removed from the west, I would observe cultural norms don't disappear at passport control, a conscious effort is needed to remove undesirable cultural baggage.

http://www.meforum.org/2646/worldwide-trends-in-honor-killings

Edit: And here is the link to Turkish honour killings.

http://www.clarionproject.org/news/islamist-takeover-turkeys-honor-killing-rate-highest-world

I show it because the rapid recent rise coincides with Erdogan's rise to power in Turkey and would suggest the increase was down to an increase in religiosity rather than due to increased influence of tribal culture.

Edited by Steely Dan
  • Like 2

the anti-muslim brigade is, as usual, present in full force to judge. that will teach those who are in favour of honour killings a lesson! whistling.gif

I don't think it's a matter of Muslim or not Muslim. It's a matter of being real about the communities where this is happening, and it's mostly Muslim communities.

From a practical humanitarian standpoint I think it would be wise to try to establish just who has the most influence on putting an end to such barbaric practices. If it were tribal leaders, not religious leaders then fine, try to influence them, In rural areas of Pakistan, for instance, a group of Pashtun tribal elders known as a Jirga hands down judgements, and has been implicated in recent honour killings, you can dig out many examples from the Pakistan Tribune newspaper.

• Like 1

And the other 4,000 are?

Hindu or India . . . Another great champion of and ptotector of wonen's rights so both cultures suck I'm that respect. Is there any wonder why a culture fostering such a mentality or thought process can be viewed as an nothing more than an abscess on the world's butt.

Honor anything to these people is just a ruse to exercise dominance of and oppress women . Sounds like insecure males to me looking to rationalize or justify severe domestic abuse which no human should ever be able to justify.

Funny how we whine about government monitoring our Google usage, but care little about women getting beat, acid burned, mutilated or killed because of jealous, insecure wanna be men and a culture condoning such actions.

• Like 2

the anti-muslim brigade is, as usual, present in full force to judge. that will teach those who are in favour of honour killings a lesson! whistling.gif

Your right. The rid the world of this abscess may be through the use of war, bombs and drones. I also feel that real men would not openly or publicly convey an attitude of tolerance, indifference or deflection of the issue.

Karma will take care of the rest and is apparently doing a damn fine job when you look at what is happening in many of these countries.

And the other 4,000 are?

Hindu or India . . . Another great champion of and ptotector of wonen's rights so both cultures suck I'm that respect. Is there any wonder why a culture fostering such a mentality or thought process can be viewed as an nothing more than an abscess on the world's butt.

Honor anything to these people is just a ruse to exercise dominance of and oppress women . Sounds like insecure males to me looking to rationalize or justify severe domestic abuse which no human should ever be able to justify.

Funny how we whine about government monitoring our Google usage, but care little about women getting beat, acid burned, mutilated or killed because of jealous, insecure wanna be men and a culture condoning such actions.

Sadly females are also often involved with honour killings.

Whilst their are different causes, but for sure jealousy & insecurety would be a components, from a quick search both the US & UK (as examples) domestic violence is increasing. e.g. UK domestic violence increased by 35% 2010/2011 even though their are numerous publicity campaigns and government sponsored programs. In the US more than 1500 men & women murdered in one year (2005) as an outcome of domestic violence

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

And the other 4,000 are?

Sadly females are also often involved with honour killings.

Whilst their are different causes, but for sure jealousy & insecurety would be a components, from a quick search both the US & UK (as examples) domestic violence is increasing. e.g. UK domestic violence increased by 35% 2010/2011 even though their are numerous publicity campaigns and government sponsored programs. In the US more than 1500 men & women murdered in one year (2005) as an outcome of domestic violence

Are honor killings prosecuted in these countries? In US, people are prosecuted. People in the US don't call it honor anything. That call it murder!

Doesn't Jordan have a law that says he who discovery his wife or female family member doing certain things can kill or maim her and be exempt from any penalty. So much for your apparent or implied equality argument, but as usual you say things very indirectly and subtly.

Your US analogy is a surreptitious or indirect way of minimizing or defending something that cannot be defended. I know you will say you are not, never have and never will say that, but that is what you do on any quasi Muslim issue. Otherwise, no need to cite US statistics and for the same reason you threw Hindus under the bus. The "honorable" thing is to actually man up and say how one really feels . . . without having to resort to honor anything.

• Like 2

Ahhh, the religion of peace. Just makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside don't it.

From the OP:

"According to the researchers, the attitudes are far more likely in adolescent boys with low education backgrounds and it did not appear to be linked to religious beliefs."

• Like 1

@F430murci

Your post#25. I already highlighted the detail under Sharia law that talks to it being permitable to kill an unfaithful partner (Post#5) so no attempt by me to deny or minimise. I referenced the death rate in the US, as an example, that even though society condemns domestic violence, although from reports different motivations, but infidelity would be one. it is not uncommon for killing of a male/female partner and it is not solely an issue in Muslim societies, that you try to infer; same for Hindus.

You might be interested to note that in Russia, currently 14,000 die from injuries inflicted by husbands or partners a year. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21474931

Edited by Scott

@F430murci

Your post#25. I already highlighted the detail under Sharia law that talks to it being permitable to kill un unfaithful partner (Post#5) so no attempt by me to deny or minimise. I referenced the death rate in the US, as an example, that even though society comdemns domestic violence, although from reports different motivations, but infidelity would be one. it is not uncommon for killing of a male/female partner and it is not solely an issue in Muslim societies, that you try to infer; same for Hindus.

You might be interested to note that in Russia, currently 14,000 die from injuries inflicted by husbands or partners a year. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21474931

Who cares what happens in Russia! The topic is honor killings and acceptance of such in Jordan where you can just off or maim a female with impunity. What happens in Russia does not make that okay.

Let's stick to the topic here.

and it did not appear to be linked to religious beliefs."

From a statistical point of view, it would seem that then they interviewed/questioned people of other religions. I wonder how many and what other religions are included?

Fact is, your arguments simple1 are very consistent with the mentality that fosters and rationalizes honor killings and terrorism. I'd say your conversion to Muslim worked pretty well.

You constantly indulge in personal attacks that are truly juvenile and without foundation. As repeatedly stated I do not practise the Islamic faith.

EDIT: On a personal note I do not follow any Abrahamic religion; Vendanta is my spiritual guide

Edited by simple1