Seeking Home & Contents Insurance Company

Can anyone recommend a good home and contents insurance company in Thailand.

I was trying to renew my existing policy and asked for increased insurance values, (based on market prices) for two specified items, but they advise me that for "high value" items they will not insure for the full replacement value.

I use these guys:

http://www.aainsure.net/

Just had a claim and they were great. Rep showed up immediately, was very professional and took care of everything.

I went through them as well but originally asked to see a couple of different policies to compare. AA were able (eventually) to send me the policy details electronically so I could try and see what i was actually getting. Ended up with one from a New Zealand co. but read the policies from AXA and a Thai company as well.

I use these guys:

Just had a claim and they were great. Rep showed up immediately, was very professional and took care of everything.

I went through them as well but originally asked to see a couple of different policies to compare. AA were able (eventually) to send me the policy details electronically so I could try and see what i was actually getting. Ended up with one from a New Zealand co. but read the policies from AXA and a Thai company as well.

I just looked at ours. It's AXA.

I use these guys:

IAG?

I use these guys:

IAG?

yes and no - the actual company was NZI but I believe they are owned by IAG. NZI now link with Safety Insurance Public Co Ltd (conpany name on my latest receipt)who are majority owned by IAG......

My renewal is due in September so will be rechecking then.

Yes, I use them too, but this new stricture on "agreed value" rather than replacement value for watches is bothersome. They term some items "high value" and will only insure up to the value they agree; "agreed value" is the value they agree.

I am seriously beginning to wonder whether insurance is a waste of time. I have taken out home insurance for more than 30 years and rarely made any claim, and certainly nothing substantial. When you live in a secure condo, such as I do, it seems much less of a risk to do without. Plus the service side is painfully inadequate.

What's your experience like?

Yes, I use them too, but this new stricture on "agreed value" rather than replacement value for watches is bothersome. They term some items "high value" and will only insure up to the value they agree; "agreed value" is the value they agree.

I am seriously beginning to wonder whether insurance is a waste of time. I have taken out home insurance for more than 30 years and rarely made any claim, and certainly nothing substantial. When you live in a secure condo, such as I do, it seems much less of a risk to do without. Plus the service side is painfully inadequate.

What's your experience like?

I guess my take is that for the relatively small amount I should get something back if calamity struck and the house burnt down and or was burgled. So peace of mind.

However yes if they are moving the goal posts then it is something to consider. I have a specific list of items above a certain value from when I took the policy out nearly 3 years ago and have not bothered to update it - mainly because there is not much, if any, change although I probably will revisit it this year. They accepted the list, with some photos, so presume they agreed the values.

As long as you update the values with them presumably there is no problem other than your premium rising?

Sorry I am not sure what you mean when you refer to "the service side"? Do you mean the insurer or the broker?

They will not accept updated values for high value items of personal effects that you take out of your home, once it reaches a level (unspecified) that they deem is too high, even if it is a true replacement value. For service levels I was referring to the broker. Explanation of coverage was/is a problem.