Dog In Pain, How To Treat?

i can't seem to find any info on the internet and the vet is closed today, but one of my dogs was badly attacked and his testicles are mangled and bleeding. he looks ready to pass out, and i am guessing it is no less painful to have mangled testicles for a dog than it is a man (i wouldn't really know). what can i do for him? i seem to remember bambina saying you can give human pain meds to dogs, but in what dosage? anyone know?

thanks those were helpful. actually i gave him a little packet of something which had only one english word on it and that was aspirin, mixed with milk- yikes! but so far so good. poor doggie.

p.s. they're talking morphine on that 2nd link up there, guess i won't worry so much about aspirin!

:o

The main item which is over the counter and common for us humans and readily available in Thailand in that link was this.

Ibuprofen

"This is a great anti-inflammatory drug in humans but consistently causes ulcers in dogs after 2-6 weeks. A suggested dog dose is 6 mg/pound but even at 4 mg/pound this drug will cause erosions of the stomach as well as vomiting. At a dose low enough to not have these side effects, the drug probably does not relieve pain."

So may not be a good idea for the dog.

Edited by tywais

actually now he has been bleeding for hours, still fresh blood, not a ton but enough to be dripping. i tried to put pressure on it and pour iodine on him but he doesn't let me too close. bambina where are you?! please tell me i don't have another dying dog on my hands. :o

actually now he has been bleeding for hours, still fresh blood, not a ton but enough to be dripping. i tried to put pressure on it and pour iodine on him but he doesn't let me too close. bambina where are you?! please tell me i don't have another dying dog on my hands. :o

Did you try to send her a PM? She will be informed by e-mail then in case she is off-line.

Just realized something, Aspirin is a blood thinner and could make it even more difficult to get the bleeding to stop.

This is the human version of the effect: http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/880000034.html

And another:

"Aspirin prolongs the time that it takes for your blood to stop oozing (bleeding time), and therefore can predispose to surgical bleeding complications. Aspirin does this by decreasing the ability of billions of tiny cells in the bloodstream to stick to each other. These cells are called platelets."

Edited by tywais

Seems unlikely that he will die, esp if it is just dripping. Unless the skin is really ripped and torn open then generally the dog will lick the wound, a dogs saliva has antiseptic properties so as long as he can reach it, it should be ok.

You can give your dog NSanti-imflammatories such as ibuprofen, stomach ulcers is usually caused by prolonged use. Also, anything like aspirin or ibuprofen must be given after food as it will cause more trouble in an empty stomach.

i can't seem to find any info on the internet and the vet is closed today, but one of my dogs was badly attacked and his testicles are mangled and bleeding. he looks ready to pass out, and i am guessing it is no less painful to have mangled testicles for a dog than it is a man (i wouldn't really know). what can i do for him? i seem to remember bambina saying you can give human pain meds to dogs, but in what dosage? anyone know?

IBROFREN YES

ACAMOL PARACETAMOL NONONONONO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ANY NON STEROIDAL ANTI INFLAMMATORY IS OK.... ALSO BUTERYL (FOR HORSES BUT IN VERY VERY SMALL DOSES AND NOT FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME)

DYPARONE ALSO OK ( KNOWN AS OPTALGIN ALSO) DEPENDING ON WEIGHT AND SIZE AND BREED OF DOG: GO AS FOR A CHILD UP TO AGE 12, IF LARGE DOG, ADULT PLUS DOSE.....

.... BUT THESE ARENT STRONG ENOUGH FOR TESTICLE DAMAGE WHICH CAN LEAD TO INFECTIONS AND BLOOD POISONING.... AS WELL AS SHOCK FROM PAIN ETC....

EMERGENCY VET TIME!!!!

tcmycin is sold at alot of the little shops that will have tiffy and other stuff like that. But I don't see why cipro wouldn't work either. In all likelihood PAC would give you ampycillin, as that is what my dogs have gotten before (cheap and easily available).

Paracetamol is poison for a dog. Aspirine is o.k., 2 or 3 times a day 10 to 25 milligram per time. Ibuprofen is tricky because of the dosage you can use. Aspirin however does make the blood thinner! :o

First how badly is it bleeding, from one of your earlier posts you said it was just dripping. Try and clean the wound with water and keep the dog in a clean place.

We often give the cow's penicilin based antibiotics, but you could just as easily end up doing more harm than good with the wrong dosage.

This link from the meric on wound treatment :-

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.js...m/bc/160702.htm

You can have a look around there yourself as well.

If you can find one a spray antiseptic would be good we use amoxillin (Sp) on the cows. I'd probably try to do the wound treatment and then get him to a vet tomorow if I was you.

RC

thanks for the info, that merck manual link is great.

he's still bleeding but it looks like it might be clotting now. i have him inside and will get him amoxicillin in the morning.

girlx,

forgot to tell u to avoid being bitten while treating (even good dog will bite when in pain, and believe me, balls hurt!!)...

take a nylon stocking, or a cotton rope or even a long sock, and tie around his muzzle, tie it under the muzzle, w/ room for one fingure to slide under the rope/sock so he can breathe, then loop up behind his ears and tie in a bow...

have someone hole his head, lie him on his left side and pull his hind left leg forward that imobilizes him so u can wash (mild saline solution: teaspoon salt/cup of water), then apply polydine(iodine) that is used on childrens' minor wounds, must get antibiotic orally if those wounds were from teeth!!! bite wounds infect very quickly....

three days of amoxycillin (even a peoples subscription) two or three times a day should do it for beginning.... and/or like sbk said: antibiotic cream but check for subsurface swelling, fever etc....

any NSAI (non steroidal......) can be used up to a week but not longer: usually if NSAI is used for animals that the dosage is every other day (injection ) or tablet after the first three days consecutive.... sorry i cant find my dosages for the dogs, just for goats and horses.....

make sure he doesnt over lick, this can also cause infections etc....

today he seems a bit better... he has pretty much laid around all day instead of running around as usual, but i gave him aspirin and he seems like he is not so much in pain. the wound finally stopped bleeding and i cleaned it for him, and i gave him penicillin, which is the only antibiotic i could find in the shops here (no pharmacy). thanks for all your help!

now i just have to find the little puppy who i am supposed to be watching for a friend and who has apparently run away! ... sigh

today he seems a bit better... he has pretty much laid around all day instead of running around as usual, but i gave him aspirin and he seems like he is not so much in pain. the wound finally stopped bleeding and i cleaned it for him, and i gave him penicillin, which is the only antibiotic i could find in the shops here (no pharmacy). thanks for all your help!

now i just have to find the little puppy who i am supposed to be watching for a friend and who has apparently run away! ... sigh

what did the veterinarian said???