Phuket -- A pessimist's Paradise

KarenBravo

She is registered with the government here. But she wasn't born here. So she can't vote here. And we're headed for the USA at the end of August. There is no such thing as an absentee ballot here in Thailand, like there is in the USA. Do you think Thailand is an actual democracy?

Of course Thailand is not a democracy. smile.png

I did not know you could only vote in the place you were born. I thought you could vote where you were registered. Pardon my ignorance.

I don't know where that misconception came from. Thai nationals can only vote in the area where they are registered on their house Tabianbaan. It has nothing to do with place of birth. My wife transferred her place of registration to Patong years ago. She votes at all the local and national elections. But she has little enthusiasm that any change will ever take place due to elections as the incumbants have the money, resources, and influence to 'rig' the vote mostly through vote buying, not to mention that there are very few registered voters in a place like Patong, so it does not take that much money to swing the vote. Used to be that 500 baht was enough to persuade a voter to actually vote for a particular candidate, but these days it takes 3,000 baht (here in Patong) to even tempt a voter out the door. Democracy - don't make me laugh bah.gif Nothing is going to change.

• Like 2

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another reason why nothing changes is that if a government official actually tries to do something effective and starts treading on local big-wig toes, they get them transferred out of province.

The governor before this one looked serious about fixing a few problems. He lasted three months before being transferred. Now we have the present governor who always arranges to be out of town when "difficult" meetings with ambassadors take place.

The land encroachment guy Damrong the Destroyer was retired after identifying many plots of land that had encroached on public land and stated that he didn't care how powerful the guilty party was, he would prosecute them.

Since his departure, the land encroachment investigation has stalled.

@ PCA

Yet another who has been nowhere else in Thailand and/or South East Asia. smile.pngsmile.png

hehehe, think what you want but don't forget to rest when you sleep.

I'll be keeping an eye out for you on the front page of the PG one day. smile.pngsmile.png

you can also meet me and bring your cameragiggle.gif

No need. I'm sure I'll see you on the front page of the PG one day. You will have a police officer pointing at you. You will either be dead, or alive and on your way to gaol. :) :)

That's what has happen to many like you, with your attitude.

I'll be keeping an eye out for you on the front page of the PG one day. smile.pngsmile.png

you can also meet me and bring your cameragiggle.gif

No need. I'm sure I'll see you on the front page of the PG one day. You will have a police officer pointing at you. You will either be dead, or alive and on your way to gaol. smile.pngsmile.png

That's what has happen to many like you, with your attitude.

could be your turn I already had that fun. Now don't bother talking to me, thx.

She is registered with the government here. But she wasn't born here. So she can't vote here. And we're headed for the USA at the end of August. There is no such thing as an absentee ballot here in Thailand, like there is in the USA. Do you think Thailand is an actual democracy?

Of course Thailand is not a democracy. smile.png

I did not know you could only vote in the place you were born. I thought you could vote where you were registered. Pardon my ignorance.

I don't know where that misconception came from. Thai nationals can only vote in the area where they are registered on their house Tabianbaan. It has nothing to do with place of birth. My wife transferred her place of registration to Patong years ago. She votes at all the local and national elections. But she has little enthusiasm that any change will ever take place due to elections as the incumbants have the money, resources, and influence to 'rig' the vote mostly through vote buying, not to mention that there are very few registered voters in a place like Patong, so it does not take that much money to swing the vote. Used to be that 500 baht was enough to persuade a voter to actually vote for a particular candidate, but these days it takes 3,000 baht (here in Patong) to even tempt a voter out the door. Democracy - don't make me laugh bah.gif Nothing is going to change.

Ok, so, I'll adjust my original post.

Is it possible all you guys can put your girlfriends/wives on your "house book" and get them to vote here? With such a small amount of voters here, surely the expat girlfriends/wives could make up a high percentage of voters.

Obviously, the 3000 baht is refused, and no other "favours" are needed.

I understand about the election being "rigged." Do you mean the vote counting is rigged, or simply vote buying?

Expat girlfriends/wives do not need the money, or favours, and can, and will vote. That could end up quite a lot of voters that can't be bought.

So, is this possible, and could this bring about even the smallest amount of positive change?

Edited by NamKangMan

I think many of us came to Phuket, thinking it would be a nice place to call home. After years of living realizing that Phuket can not ever be a home, just a place to be an visitor. That sucks.

As for home I mean a place where a person can really be part of the society, not just spend time there as an outsider.

The next step is not to care what will happen to this island. I went through that phase few years ago after finally figuring out that I can not really do anything to improve the situation. The change have to come from the local people who live here... and it never comes. So why should we even try to change things?

I still relapse every now and then thinking that I could improve things here. It still does not happen.

After all, just live a life here while it's still good and when it's not, hit the road and move somewhere else.

I live in area which is still good compared to the touristic beaches, way better actually. People here are generally good, but there is more an more indications of creed which is radiating from south west of the island.

you are making just one mistake. Getting infected from selfishness and disregarding the self center as an essential. It is not about getting integrated into anything (society in a fishing village and the headspin after suddenly instead of a fish there was an i-phone on the rod) but seeing something new every day, something what confirms why you are here and not there. This is a beautyful place, naturally clean and healthy. If you want to really improve something than live in samples rather than excusing yourself poorly.

PCA your existentialism is truly intriguing, please go on............saai.gif

• Like 2

<snip>

Is it possible all you guys can put your girlfriends/wives on your "house book" and get them to vote here? With such a small amount of voters here, surely the expat girlfriends/wives could make up a high percentage of voters.

I understand about the election being "rigged." Do you mean the vote counting is rigged, or simply vote buying?

Expat girlfriends/wives do not need the money, or favours, and can, and will vote. That could end up quite a lot of voters that can't be bought.

So, is this possible, and could this bring about even the smallest amount of positive change?

Do you really think the Thai wives or girl friends give a toss - get real friend.

Any money on offer is always accepted, and often from both sides. Then they vote or maybe not at all.

I doubt the vote counting is rigged, I mean vote buying rigged and in all corners of Thailand.

No - never make a jot of difference. As far as I can see the average voter here in Thailand only votes for personal profit or gain.

Now what was that title - a Pessimist's Paradise - I guess I'm one

<snip>

Do you really think the Thai wives or girl friends give a toss - get real friend.

Any money on offer is always accepted, and often from both sides. Then they vote or maybe not at all.

I doubt the vote counting is rigged, I mean vote buying rigged and in all corners of Thailand.

No - never make a jot of difference. As far as I can see the average voter here in Thailand only votes for personal profit or gain.

Now what was that title - a Pessimist's Paradise - I guess I'm one

I'm sure the Thai girlfriends/wives don't "give a toss." Why would they, when they, and their family, are on easy street with a farang.

Surely they would vote the way you want them to, because you are asking them to, and because they love you so much. :) :)

<snip>

Surely they would vote the way you want them to, because you are asking them to, and because they love you so much. smile.pngsmile.png

Ok, I'll bite on your hook, just this one time.

Do you really think one political side is any better or any worse than the other political side.

And I would be a hypocrite to even ask my wife to vote as I stopped voting in my home country 35 years ago as I figured out just the same thing even back then. I even went to the trouble to take my name off the electoral register 30 years ago. I have no faith at all in any political party. They are all corrupted by power.

This is a beautyful place, naturally clean and healthy

Beautiful looking South from Laem Prom Teap for sureblink.png , naturally clean because a tiny population and few cars and the new coming tourist on the island is very environment friendlyfacepalm.gif, healthy the media says differentsad.png

The whole system set up is a clusterf*** and is designed so everyone promises the moon upon arriving, passes the buck after collecting their envelopes for one or two years, and those that are in power stay in power.

Behind is a clan and it goes back hundreds of years.

<snip>

Surely they would vote the way you want them to, because you are asking them to, and because they love you so much. smile.pngsmile.png

Ok, I'll bite on your hook, just this one time.

Do you really think one political side is any better or any worse than the other political side.

And I would be a hypocrite to even ask my wife to vote as I stopped voting in my home country 35 years ago as I figured out just the same thing even back then. I even went to the trouble to take my name off the electoral register 30 years ago. I have no faith at all in any political party. They are all corrupted by power.

As previously stated, I'm sure we'll just get more of the same, but you never know. With a "voice" they might give some concessions in order to secure votes.

The main thing is, they would know they can not "buy" the farang vote with money, or favours, only actions, to fix the many problems here.

It was just an idea LIK. I never said it would be a 100% winner.

As for the hypocrisy, maybe you could overlook it, just one time, to try to topple the corrupt regime we are all living under here. :) :)

I would not classify it as pessimism. It is realism.

I agree, but I have been called "a negative person" for calling a spade a spade.

Just look at the incidents in the past few days here, they are "real" and not exaggerated, someone them even caught of camera.

It's hard to deny that Phuket has many issues that are killing/hurting people and causing damage to the tourism industry here.

Personally, I've never understood why being an optimist is good and a pessimist is bad.

An optimist feels either justification, or disappointment when whatever they are being optimistic about eventuates.

On the other hand, a pessimist feels justification, or, is pleasantly surprised.

Which one to be?

Logical innit?

• Like 2

Personally, I've never understood why being an optimist is good and a pessimist is bad.

An optimist feels either justification, or disappointment when whatever they are being optimistic about eventuates.

On the other hand, a pessimist feels justification, or, is pleasantly surprised.

Which one to be?

Logical innit?

That actually makes sense to me. Should I be worried? whistling.gif

I keep my expectations low so my disappointments are few. Does that make me an optimist or pessimist?? unsure.png

Which one to be?

Logical innit?

That actually makes sense to me. Should I be worried? whistling.gif

I keep my expectations low so my disappointments are few. Does that make me an optimist or pessimist?? unsure.png

In relation to Phuket, that make you a "realist."

If you have low expectations on Phuket, you will not be disappointed. :) :)

• Like 1

Which one to be?

Logical innit?

Welcome to the P club.............though you probably won't like it.

In recent months,

Through my personal experience here and understanding the attitudes of some of the local Thai people

My optimism about Phuket has changed to a pessimistic view,

That this island and its problems Crime,Corruption and Greed will only get worse in the future...

sorry to say…

Good post KB…

• Like 1

Which one to be?

Logical innit?

http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2013/02/pessimism-future.aspx

less tourists coming from bad publicity =cheaper prices, I dont know why everyone is complaining

It doesn't work that way - the opposite it often the case. I thought you'd been here long enough to know that.

• Like 1