US to sell military helicopters to Thailand

webfact

For those interested in what they look like ...

uh72a_lakota.jpg

I just hope to hell that they maintain them better then those which have crashed in the past.

I'm sure the Prime Minister would look good flying around in one of these.. But she wouldn't have any more excuses that the chopper couldn't fly at night.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those interested in what they look like ...

uh72a_lakota.jpg

I just hope to hell that they maintain them better then those which have crashed in the past.

I'm sure the Prime Minister would look good flying around in one of these.. But she wouldn't have any more excuses that the chopper couldn't fly at night.

Killjoy

If this is a government to government deal then there is not much room for corruption and, also, it is illegal for a U.S. company to pay bribes to a foreign government to get business. I think this deal is global politics.

Edited by rametindallas

The fact is, it really doesn't matter how much they cost. Thailand's not paying for the Americans are. We given so much

money to this welfare state that the monies being used is nothing more than the American Tax payers sweat and if they live here," Blood" in some cases

The published numbers are show otherwise. Do you even know how much money the USA has given to Thailand in the past 5 years? There was a big surge in 2012 as flood relief caused an increase to a whopping $15million. To date in 2013 the amount of aid disbursed is $4.1million. Overall the trend has been to diminished numbers. The money is spent on specific projects almost all of which are non military in nature. Here are the US government numbers and an explanation in easy to read charts.

http://foreignassistance.gov/OU.aspx?OUID=326&FY=2014&AgencyID=0&budTab=tab_Bud_Overview

They would be getting more aid if they were a little more cooperative on using their Utapao air base for NASA and forward logistics storage for regional disasters. Just sayin'

Do they really cost that much per aircraft?

Well, brand new ... "Current Price $ 7.76 million U.S. Estimated"

So, 2nd hand, low engine hours, well maintained ... maybe $ 5 million (let's be generous).

So, 6 X 5 = $ 30 Million.

Maybe they are buying a lot of spares ... w00t.gif

They allocated $77million. $30 mill for the equipment, $47million for graft.

If this is a government to government deal then there is not much room for corruption and, also, it is illegal for a U.S. company to pay bribes to a foreign government to get business. I think this deal is global politics.

. . . and we all know that governments never do anything illegal whistling.gif ( maybe should say, try never to get caught doing anything illegal )

Edited by attento

A post in violation of fair use policy has been removed. It is generally accepted, but not written into law, that quoting the first two or three sentences of an article and giving a link to the source is considered “fair use” and not a violation of copyright.

Off topic posts have also been removed.

youre all slagging off Thailands maintenance capabilities on this copters but how many of us westerners can repair a puncture on a scooter in 5minutes 6 seconds for 25 baht and get the correct air pressure of 25psi with out a air gauge cheesy.gifwai2.gif

I believed you up to the air pressure bit.

I always do that bit again when I get home.

After all the tyres do have to be hot don't they.