home pro staff[p-ssed me off]

meatboy

I often visit Home Pro and always found the staff to be very accommodating and polite, never had any problems.

Firstly, the staff are under pressure from their bosses to be seen trying to assist the customers and if a certain product is not selling, or is something the store wants to push, the staff are ordered to try and steer the customers into buying these particular items. They are only doing their job and what they are told to do. Telling them to piss off will not gain anyone benefits or the upper-hand in Thailand. It`s a pig headed attitude, simply not acceptable here.

Usually if a persistent member of staff begins tagging on to me at these stores, I just smile; say thank you very much, but I am only looking at the moment, and then they just go away and leave me to browse at my own leisure. Always, without fail.

What I usually do if I am not sure of a certain product, is to first visit the store, check it out, make notes, then go home and check the details online, and if I consider a product is right for me, I return to the store and purchase it. In the past I have bought some goods that have been faulty, but never had any problems taking them back and either exchanging them or receiving a refund.

So what’s the OP`s problem? Perhaps he should learn some basic Thai rather than having to rely on his wife to deal with all his business when he is out?

I am capable of running my own business affairs in Thailand, in full control of my life here and do not require my wife or anyone else to be holding my hand if in situations like the OP.

Great minds think alike BJ 8-)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was in one of the larger chain DIY places a few weeks ago in Rayong and spotted Stanley Surform blades...thought great been looking for a surform for a while, grabbed a few blades and set off to look for the surform tool....

couldnt see them anywhere on the shelves so asked one of the staff where the surform tools are...blank look with the usual "Mai Mee", but taking to someone else there turned out they had ordered a whole heap of replacement blades, but neglected to order any of the actual surform tools, rendering the blades about as useful as a chocolate tea pot, unless of course you already had the tool...whistling.gif

A few months back in the rather large DIY place in Pattaya...looking at buying a router, talking to the super expert salesman, asked him where all the various bits were for the router...off super salesman goes to get a selection of router bits to show me..and comes back with a box of various diameter drill bits....facepalm.gif .....suffice to say I didnt buy a router that day in that shop..biggrin.png

Same-same.

Actual product knowledge and technical advice is only available from the little shops and tradesmen, or the Internet.

Or if you're really keen, maybe hook up with the local vocational training school, but not sure about that. . .

So, if not Home Pro ... what other choices are there?

not many they did open a global house superstore near us we bought a set of lights for the kitchen 4 in total,no wireing instructions and no country of origin just crap so we dont go back there.over the past 2yrs i have posted many fk.ups by staff at home pro,the time we bought paint for the house[in the d.i.y.forum],they gave us the wrong colour,took it back one girl told the wf.she had put too much water in it then some <deleted> said that toa had changed the code when he was asked why havent you got a notice up his reply was its up to you to ask.the wf.phoned toa and was told it had not changed any codes,but the problem was they wernt cleaning the machine so the right amount of colour added to the base was not enough,that prick was never to be seen again.

Yes to everything said, best is to say I don't need any help and walk off. If anyone follows you just stop, make eye contact and very politely say you don't want any help.

If they are following you disappear quickly around a corner in one of the aisles and as they come round the corner jump out and say "Boo" they leave you alone very quickly...works everytime I have done it...wink.png

If they're cute try hitting on them, that works too!

So, if not Home Pro ... what other choices are there?

not many they did open a global house superstore near us we bought a set of lights for the kitchen 4 in total,no wireing instructions and no country of origin just crap so we dont go back there.over the past 2yrs i have posted many fk.ups by staff at home pro,the time we bought paint for the house[in the d.i.y.forum],they gave us the wrong colour,took it back one girl told the wf.she had put too much water in it then some <deleted> said that toa had changed the code when he was asked why havent you got a notice up his reply was its up to you to ask.the wf.phoned toa and was told it had not changed any codes,but the problem was they wernt cleaning the machine so the right amount of colour added to the base was not enough,that prick was never to be seen again.

That's one mother long sentence dude. . .

Customer service in any store/shop in Thailand is just a total oxymoron,took me a couple of months to get use to it after a year in the Philippines but I soon realised it's just utterly pointless even bothering!

boosta we all didnt go to eton or cambridge i went to an approved school i didnt learn much only a few swear words and how to pull a birds pants down so if there is any part of my post you dont understand my good tv.mate dai will help you.t.i.t.just for you boosta that

means "taffy in thailand".

• Like 1

I'm not criticizing for the fun of it meatboy, just trying to help, in case you want a higher proportion of members to actually read what you went to the trouble of posting.

i think the problem is,i was always told i was illiterate but i had a father,as we didnt have computers in the valleys in my days so till now i never knew what it[illiterate]meant,but never mind i am one happy dude living in los.hurry up darling with my breakfast we have to go to home-pro.

I'm not criticizing for the fun of it meatboy, just trying to help, in case you want a higher proportion of members to actually read what you went to the trouble of posting.

i think the problem is,i was always told i was illiterate but i had a father,as we didnt have computers in the valleys in my days so till now i never knew what it[illiterate]meant,but never mind i am one happy dude living in los.hurry up darling with my breakfast we have to go to home-pro.

'hurry up darling with my breakfast we have to go to home-pro.' ... biggrin.png

While Shakespeare prose may not be your forte ...

you have a great, self-abasing sense of humour ... thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Why anyone that has lived in Thailand a couple years would expect the staff at any big chain store to know anything about the products they sell is beyond me.

Do you really think an 18 year old kid with pointy shoes knows anything about DIY products? They are trained to push the highest margin items.

I don't think anyone's expressing surprise, just frustration.

It is certainly true that management SHOULD put more effective training programs in place, it would be in their interest to do so, can't really "push" any items effectively if you don't have decent product knowledge.

But in order to do that of course you'd need to have managers with a clue, and onward upstream until we're back talking about how bad the education system is here. . .

Actually Taff, If I read your posts and try and imitate a Welsh accent in my head as I read it, it makes perfect sense! smile.png And your literacy is quite good, but if you used the FULL STOP now and again, it might make it easier for those of us that can't think Welsh.

EDIT: And if it's any consolation, until I was 9 I thought a bas*ard was somebody who had parents from different countries. My Mum's a Scot and Dad's a Pom. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Gsxrnz

Don't know what you guys are talking about with respect to the staff following you around........I have a face that makes babies cry, and one look at me from the staff....they suddenly find something else to do.

I have problems finding staff when I do need their assistance.

Just one note for Dave....you may already be aware, but do not expect a high standard of quality when shopping for materials or tools here in Thailand. I have even found myself saying that Bunnings have better stuff than what I've found here. (Bunnings is a large hardware chain in Oz, that stocks poor quality materials at cheaper prices).

Cheers.

"˙sɹʎᄅ uɐɥʇ ǝɹoɯ pǝʇsɐl ʇou ǝʌɐɥ ʇɥƃnoq ǝʍ sɯǝʇı ɔıɹʇɔǝlǝ ɟo ʇol ɐ'ʇsɐd ǝɥʇ uı plos uǝǝq ǝʌɐɥ ǝʍ ɥsıqqnɹ ɥɔnɯ ʍoɥ ɹǝpuoʍ oʇ ƃuıʇɹɐʇs ɯɐ ı oɹd ǝɯoɥ ʇɐ ʎǝuoɯ ɟo ʇol ɐ ʇuǝds ǝʌɐɥ ǝʍ sɐ'pǝʞɹoʍ ʇı ʇnq puɐʇsɹǝpun ʇupıp ı ʇnq ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ʎɐs pıp ǝɥs ʇuɐʍ ı ʇɐɥʍ op ʇusǝop ǝɥs ɟı ʇno ʞlɐʍ llıʍ ǝʍ˙sɹɯ ǝɥʇ ploʇ ı os ɟɟo pǝssıd ɯɐ ı ʍou os ʍolɟʇno ǝɥʇ ǝlqnop'ǝƃɐʇʇɐʍ ɹǝƃƃıq llǝʍ'ɹǝʇʇǝq sʇı ǝuo sıɥʇ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ʇuop ʎɥʍ˙sɹɯ ǝɥʇ oʇ pıɐs pɹıq ǝɥʇ ʇnq'ʇı ʇsǝʇ oʇ pɹıq ǝɥʇ llǝʇ op llıʍ ǝuo ʇɐɥʇ'ɟɟo ʞooʇ ǝʍ ǝuo ǝɯɐs ǝɥʇ ʎlʇɔɐxǝ punoɟ puɐ˙ʇdǝp dɯnd ǝɥʇ oʇ ʇuǝʍ˙ʞɹoʍ ǝɯos op puɐ ɟɟo ssıd oʇ ɯǝɥʇ llǝʇ˙sɹɯ ǝɥʇ ploʇ ı sǝʌıǝɥʇ ǝɹǝʍ ǝʍ ɟı sɐ sn ƃuıʍolloɟ ɟɟɐʇs'ɥʇƃuǝl puɐ'ǝƃɐʇʇɐʍ'ǝʇnuıɯ˙ɹd ʍolɟ'dɥ

'ǝuo plo ǝɥʇ ɟo slıɐʇǝp ǝɥʇ llɐ pɐɥ ı'puod ɹno ɹoɟ dɯnd ʍǝu ɐ ʎnq puɐ oƃ oʇ pɐɥ ı ʞǝǝʍ sıɥʇ uǝɥʇ[ƃuoɹʍ ʇı ʇoƃ ɟɟɐʇs]ǝɔɐld ʇsɹıɟ ǝɥʇ uı pǝʇuɐʍ ı ǝuo ǝɥʇ ɥʇıʍ ǝɯoɥ ǝɯɐɔ ǝɥs'ʎʇlnɐɟ ǝɹɐ ɯǝɥʇ ɟo ʇsoɯ noʎ oʇ plos uǝǝq ǝʌɐɥ ʇou plnoɥs ǝuo sıɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ ssǝnƃ˙ʇdǝp ǝɥʇ ɟo ǝƃɹɐɥɔ uı ǝʞolq ǝɥʇ ʍɐs ǝɯıʇ sıɥʇ ǝɥs puɐ ɯıɥ ɥʇıʍ ʞɔɐq ʇuǝʍ sɹɯ ǝɥʇ os'ʞɔɐq ʇı ǝʞɐʇ oʇ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ʇɹɐʇs uɐɔ ou'ssɐɹƃ ǝɥʇ ʇnɔ puɐ ǝɯoɔ oʇ ɹǝuǝpɹɐƃ ǝɥʇ ɹoɟ pǝƃuɐɹɹɐ ǝɯoɥ ʇı ʇoƃ ǝʍ llǝʍ˙ǝuo ɹǝdɐǝɥɔ ǝɥʇ ɹoɟ ʇuǝʍ ǝʍ os pǝʞıl ı ǝuo ǝɥʇ ɟo suɹnʇǝɹ ʍǝɟ ɐ pɐɥ ǝʌɐɥ ʎǝɥʇ sɐ ɹǝʇʇǝq sı ǝuo ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ˙sɹɯ ǝɥʇ ploʇ ɟɟɐʇs ǝɥʇ ɟo ǝuo llıʇ sɐʍ ʇɐɥʇ ǝuo ɹǝɹɐǝp ǝɥʇ ʎnq plnoʍ ı pǝpıɔǝp ᄅ ʇɐ pǝʞool loɹʇǝd ɹǝʇʇnɔ ssɐɹƃ [⇂]'pǝʇuɐʍ ı ʇɐɥʍ ʎlʇɔɐxǝ ʍǝuʞ ı ǝɹǝɥʇ ʇuǝʍ ı ǝɔıʍʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ'llǝʍ sɐ ǝɹǝɥʇ oƃ ʍou ǝʍ os ʎɐʍɐ ɹɐɟ ʇou ǝɹoʇsɹǝdns ɐ pǝuǝdo ǝʌɐɥ ʎǝɥʇ sɹʎᄅ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ'punoɹ ǝɯ ʍolloɟ ʇuop] ǝƃɐssǝɯ ǝɥʇ ʇoƃ ɟɟɐʇs ǝɥʇ llɐ os llɐɯ ǝɥʇ uı ɥɔuɐɹq oɹd ǝɯoɥ ʇɐ ʇɥƃnoq sʎɐʍlɐ ǝʌɐɥ ı"

ok, I understand it better now!

It is certainly true that management SHOULD put more effective training programs in place, it would be in their interest to do so, can't really "push" any items effectively if you don't have decent product knowledge.

But in order to do that of course you'd need to have managers with a clue, and onward upstream until we're back talking about how bad the education system is here. . .

The OP took the advice of the staff....he must have been somewhat surprised, yes?

I submit that the reason the staff are so clueless about so much of the product is that most of them will never be affluent enough to actually own whatever it is they are selling. Not so in western countries. I don't think training is going to help much, nor do I think better schools would.

The kid selling the mowers had probably never cut grass, or even lived in a home with a yard.

Not sure why the OP went to so much trouble to use a thinly disguised profanity in the title when he could simply have typed 'ticked me off'. We've all had days when we want to throttle some dweeb in a store, but having worked on the other side of that counter I've seen it from both sides : some of the great unwashed aren't that 'great', sadly.

Don't know what you guys are talking about with respect to the staff following you around........I have a face that makes babies cry, and one look at me from the staff....they suddenly find something else to do.

I have problems finding staff when I do need their assistance.

Just one note for Dave....you may already be aware, but do not expect a high standard of quality when shopping for materials or tools here in Thailand. I have even found myself saying that Bunnings have better stuff than what I've found here. (Bunnings is a large hardware chain in Oz, that stocks poor quality materials at cheaper prices).

Cheers.

I import most all my non-electric tools from the US. Cheaper and better.

do you know back 30yrs ago i used to order steak,mushrooms and french fries[they didnt know what chips were then] first you would have the mushrooms plus rice you never ordered,then 10mins.later the chips then another 10mins the steak.they have learnt such a lot since then you now get 2 out of the 3 on the same plate.as for training you would have to start with management first.my favourite one is on the kitchen stand i asked if she had a bread maker,me have was the reply she showed us a flipping toaster,every time she spots me she's in need of a p-ss.i have always asked for advice and trust their judgement i am sorry but this does not apply to thailand.

So how many staff at HomePro do you think have ever owned a vacuum cleaner?

Though it is better to have owned and used the product you sell its a bit unpractical and id hate to be a mortician then.

Edited by robblok

So how many staff at HomePro do you think have ever owned a vacuum cleaner?

Though it is better to have owned and used the product you sell its a bit unpractical and id hate to be a mortician then.

You know a lot of people that have never been to a funeral?

Most everyone working at a Walmart or Home Depot in the US has lived in a home that has something similar to most everything for sale in the store.

You'd be hard pressed to find a woman that had never used a vacuum cleaner or a man that had not used a lawn mower.

Most people have owned or at least used both.