Government wants to buy wife's land (eminent domain)

I didn't realize how small a talang wah was....

After reading your post, I looked it up and it seems that it is only 400 sqm....

So agree... Not a whole lot that can be done with such a small plot

Thanks again to all for the input, it is only a small plot of land and I'm not expecting get rich off this but I am looking to maximize my return, we (I) originally paid 300,000 about 7 years ago and today can easily get 800,000, if I can get 1million+, I'm happy. To those that say as a farang I have to sit back and let the wife do the talking, I understand where you are coming from but you can bet I will be the one advising her what to say. The proposed plan affects severl land/home owners and there is talk of hiring one lawyer to represent all, I will take it into consideration or may just go on our own. This is going to be a long process and I will update when new developments come about just in case this happens to other forum members in the future.

Joe

Mistake to use one lawyer.

The more lawyers you use, the more you can drag your separate heels.

One lawyer, the government just bribe, and he folds.

Government scheduling appointments with one lawyer = easy and quick.

Government scheduling appointments with many lawyers = very hard and slow.

In the US where I worked, government would always try to take land from 1 big land owner, in preference to 100 small land owners. They had to show due process, notify owner, make case they needed the land, make case land was little value to current owner, etc. One owner or one lawyer was their dream ticket. No need to chase 100s around, just 1 person.

Excellent point, I will be sure to pass that info to the other land/home owners.

Oh dear.... litigation American style. Is the object to get adequate recompense or just to delay the motorway, piss off the government who will then just buy off the lawyer(s) and take the land for satangs on the baht anyway?

If the other land/home owners are Thai, I am sure they will be right behind the OP setting them up with a bus load of lawyers. Jai dee ching ching. But wait a minute.... oh, we have to pay for the lawyers? Regularly? With no guarantees of walking away with millions more than the land is really worth?

If funds permit, buy out some neighbouring, adjoining parcel holders and increase YOUR bargaining hand.

Oh dear.... litigation American style. Is the object to get adequate recompense or just to delay the motorway, piss off the government who will then just buy off the lawyer(s) and take the land for satangs on the baht anyway?

If the other land/home owners are Thai, I am sure they will be right behind the OP setting them up with a bus load of lawyers. Jai dee ching ching. But wait a minute.... oh, we have to pay for the lawyers? Regularly? With no guarantees of walking away with millions more than the land is really worth?

If funds permit, buy out some neighbouring, adjoining parcel holders and increase YOUR bargaining hand.

If the government wants it, you are going to lose it.

Your bargaining hand is drawing out the process so much that they either offer a premium price, or find another bit of land, or government policy changes.

I would actually employ the most respected and oldest lawyer in the area, becouss he will be really slow and the authorities won't want to hassle him.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Personally. I wouldn't employ a lawyer at all. They are so easily swayed (it's their nature) wait to see what the figure is if happy accept it. If unhappy give your price see if they accept. A lawyer is money being paid out. Not money coming in.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

• 2 weeks later...

Update, after visiting a few governemt offices we finally found the one in charge of making roads/buying land. We asked about our land specifically and were told there is no current plans to buy our home or build a road on it...I guess the Thai neighbors made a assumption and jumped the gun when the land surveyors where there.

On a good note he said there are plans to make a road in that area and we might be sitting near a morotway off-ramp/major street with lots of car traffic, we were also told if and when the government wants to get someone's land they will mail a letter to the owner stating so with a offer price. Time to play the waiting game...555