Rawai Nite Life

RawaiPlaBoyz

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freedom bar used to be full every afternoon. Now it's bare.

What happened?

Im pretty sure the previous owner moved on, the crowd went with him and the girls. I guess he was the bar and it wasnt about location.

I noticed Nancy bar has shut. I guess the German sponsor stopped sponsoring Nancy. The 3 monkeys has closed down (I think). I heard the owner got the boot by the wife..well as they say, one day a rooster the next a feather duster. I always liked Roxanne bar, the owner is a Danish bloke, always good to talk to, a few babes in that bar too

What happened?

First run by Charlie, who knew his business, then taken over by his son Junior after Charlie went back to the UK.

He sold the bar for big money to a Norwegian, I think and then opened up Juniors Bar just round the corner on the main Rawai road.

He then changed the name to Shaggies in honour of a friend that died.

Meanwhile, The Corner Bar in Rawai had their rent hiked. They moved out and took over the Shaggies location and it is now called The White Hart.

Business at the original Freedom Bar has collapsed. The new owner just didn't know how to run a business, or, attract girls to work at the bar.

• Like 1

What happened?

First run by Charlie, who knew his business, then taken over by his son Junior after Charlie went back to the UK.

He sold the bar for big money to a Norwegian, I think and then opened up Juniors Bar just round the corner on the main Rawai road.

He then changed the name to Shaggies in honour of a friend that died.

Meanwhile, The Corner Bar in Rawai had their rent hiked. They moved out and took over the Shaggies location and it is now called The White Hart.

Business at the original Freedom Bar has collapsed. The new owner just didn't know how to run a business, or, attract girls to work at the bar.

Isn't there also involvement of the (old) Corner Bar with the Stoned Crab? I'm not familiar with this, but that is what I heard.

Edited by stevenl

No, none whatsoever.

The Stoned Crab is owned by an American bloke and his Thai wife. They lived in the US for nine years then decided to move back to Thailand.

They actually bought the double shop-house unit for 5 million Baht plus so that they would not be at the mercy of a land-lord and inflated rents.

No, none whatsoever.

The Stoned Crab is owned by an American bloke and his Thai wife. They lived in the US for nine years then decided to move back to Thailand.

They actually bought the double shop-house unit for 5 million Baht plus so that they would not be at the mercy of a land-lord and inflated rents.

Thanks. Place seems to be doing ok, when I pass in the late afternoon it's always (reasonably) busy.

Would not want to sit outside there myself at that time in the hot afternoon sun though, I'd say they could do with some umbrella's.

Edited by stevenl

I usually go out drinking in the early evenings which coincides with most Happy Hours.

I jokingly complained at both the Stoned Crab and at the White Hart that as I don't drink beer, but, G&Ts, I am excluded from Happy Hour as are all spirit drinkers as Happy Hour sees the price of beer reduced only.

The owner of the Stoned Crab listened, then refused to consider Happy Hour prices on spirits.

The owner of the White Hart also listened and has reduced her prices on premium spirits from 120 Bt to 80 Bt for spirits during Happy Hour.

The Stoned Crab has lost a customer.

• Like 1

Seems to me that a lot of expat's in Rawai are only focused on the price of beer. You see the same guys moving from one bar to another because the beer is 5 bath cheaper. Ambiance seem not to matter a whole lot.

Like Mr. Gruber I used to drink draught beer but in Thailand I changes to bottled (first hand knowledge on how clean (NOT) the tap is around here)

I noticed that the couple of bars that are relatively new (lemon bar, banana etc) attract some people later at night.

Still my fav. spot is Paradise Bar

• Like 1

Yes, the Banana Bar complex does well after nine O'clock at night.

I agree, Paradise Bar is very nice as is the bar above it located just before you turn down the steep drive-way to Paradise Bar.

Was in Nikitas Bar last night and was shocked to see how few customers they had. I've always considered it an accurate bellweather on how many tourists are in Rawai.

Everyone is complaining that this is a low, low, low season in Chalong and Rawai.

Seems to me that a lot of expat's in Rawai are only focused on the price of beer. You see the same guys moving from one bar to another because the beer is 5 bath cheaper. Ambiance seem not to matter a whole lot.

Like Mr. Gruber I used to drink draught beer but in Thailand I changes to bottled (first hand knowledge on how clean (NOT) the tap is around here)

I noticed that the couple of bars that are relatively new (lemon bar, banana etc) attract some people later at night.

Still my fav. spot is Paradise Bar 

5 baht cheaper adds up.

Drink 10 get 1 free. :P

Stoned crab has Guiness and Kilkenney on draught. 180 baht for a pint during happy hour.

I keep hearing good things about this place. I'm not a big drinker, but they are Navy League supporters so I will have to pop by one day. sp and gom, lets met up there soon.

Does stoned crab sell any beer on tap?

Yes. I Think it's 50Bt all day, but, I could be wrong.
I only drink tap beer so it's hard to find places that do.

HB at Nakitas is a great draught beer.

Actually Tap Piss is popular.. Check White Hart.... They have alot of Pommies and Germs... See Sip Ha Baht.. All day and night

What happened?

Im pretty sure the previous owner moved on, the crowd went with him and the girls. I guess he was the bar and it wasnt about location.

I noticed Nancy bar has shut. I guess the German sponsor stopped sponsoring Nancy. The 3 monkeys has closed down (I think). I heard the owner got the boot by the wife..well as they say, one day a rooster the next a feather duster. I always liked Roxanne bar, the owner is a Danish bloke, always good to talk to, a few babes in that bar too

As stated Charlie went back to the UK.

The 3 Monkeys is owned by Poo and is still open.Her husband Detliff will be surprised to find out he got the boot.

Roxannes is owned by Nida and not her boring arrogant husband(the Danish bloke).

The only 2 places I can see that doing any trade are The White Hart( owned by Kran) and the stoned crab.

Was in the Lemon bar( Sai Yuan the other night also owned by Nida (Roxannes) and had a few of her old girls working there.Had a good night.

I see you know Rawai well Van

What happened?

As stated Charlie went back to the UK.

The 3 Monkeys is owned by Poo and is still open.Her husband Detliff will be surprised to find out he got the boot.

Roxannes is owned by Nida and not her boring arrogant husband(the Danish bloke).

The only 2 places I can see that doing any trade are The White Hart( owned by Kran) and the stoned crab.

Was in the Lemon bar( Sai Yuan the other night also owned by Nida (Roxannes) and had a few of her old girls working there.Had a good night.

I see you know Rawai well Van

Charlie went back to the UK because he was busted alongside of Omar (the used to be Indian restaurant across from Nikita-more or less) selling and trafficking cocaine.

Dettliff is still around the 3 monkeys.

Roxanne and everything up on that hill is going out of business and has been for the last 5 years.

The Lemon bar was owned by a Dutch man who sold it just in time.

See you don't know Rawai at all :-)

I usually go out drinking in the early evenings which coincides with most Happy Hours.

I jokingly complained at both the Stoned Crab and at the White Hart that as I don't drink beer, but, G&Ts, I am excluded from Happy Hour as are all spirit drinkers as Happy Hour sees the price of beer reduced only.

The owner of the Stoned Crab listened, then refused to consider Happy Hour prices on spirits.

The owner of the White Hart also listened and has reduced her prices on premium spirits from 120 Bt to 80 Bt for spirits during Happy Hour.

The Stoned Crab has lost a customer.

the stoned crab has lost a balloon chaser you mean

• Like 1

>>Charlie went back to the UK because he was busted alongside of Omar (the used to be Indian restaurant across from Nikita-more or less) selling and trafficking cocaine.

Yep, one bust made headlines, while the other was covered with a thick envelope and forced to leave to avoid unwanted scrutiny. Don't know if it was due to Charlie's "business partner" that showed up every night with his bodyguards, or due to the thick envelope.

Back to the OP, how is that new Aussie/Serbian bar Howitz doing?

Back to the OP, how is that new Aussie/Serbian bar Howitz doing?

I think you'll find that the bar name is Howzaat! Named after what cricketers yell when they get someone out.

Saw it packed at what may have been the opening party.

Since then, it usually has four, or five customers there. Unfortunately, the place is huge, so, four, or five customers still make the bar look empty.