Koh Samui to tackle tourism problems

The sad part is not only that they beat him up. They are hired thugs, after all.

The sad part is that they knew they would get away with it, nothing will happen because their employer is a rich and well-connected Khon Chao Samui who is not subject to the same laws and regulations as the rest of us. The police only care about crime in the event that it might start risking their cushy, well-paid position. A Farang with a couple of black eyes and some bruising is not going to cause them any bother, so they literally do not care at all. If he was somebody important (say a foreign government official or a TV personality) then they might be forced to care. But they usually are not important people, just average tourists.

I could condense your post into one line.

Samui is totally lawless.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you really think all accidents are caused by drugs or drinking, seen plenty of accidents in the good ol USA with all there rules, regulations, traffic stops, cameras, etc. Life is full of risks and dangers, I just do not need a government nanny state to protect me and give me the false illusion of safety. If you want freedom there are risks, if you are un able to handle the risks that go along with not living in a police state go back to England or some other nanny state.

Before we grab our suitcases please enlighten us as to how may days you've been here?

• Like 1

Please read the prices quoted on the office wall in Samui they are the same as anywhere in Thailand. if you are stupid and pay more up to you.

Good luck getting your visa extension then.

No problem for over 20 years XXXXXXXX

Edited by Rooo
flame removed.

Please read the prices quoted on the office wall in Samui they are the same as anywhere in Thailand. if you are stupid and pay more up to you.

The last couple of years they have been adhering to the standard prices. The only ones paying above , are the ones probably not entitled for extension anyway as they don't meet the criteria / requirements or the ones using agents.

Very simple really.

The last couple of years they have been adhering to the standard prices. The only ones paying above , are the ones probably not entitled for extension anyway as they don't meet the criteria / requirements or the ones using agents.

Very simple really.

Last year I got a receipt for 1.900 baht.

Very simple really.

I am on an education visa with an accredited school. Went for an extension, guy insisted on 5,000 baht. My friend has a marriage visa, been married 7 years. Also 5,000 baht.

Now our school gets extensions from the immigration office in Bangkok because they know the situation is so out of control here that we have no other choice.

Are you guys really so ignorant that you refuse to believe that the boss there has been doing this for years and years?

Sure, you can point to the sign on the wall and insist on paying 1900baht and not a penny more if you want. He'll just throw your documents back at you and tell you to come back tomorrow. And then do it again the next day. And the next.

It's great that he's not doing it to you guys. But he is still doing it plenty of people, and sorry, it is not because they are on dodgy visas. It is because he's a crook. Stop misinforming the readers of this board otherwise.

Edited by pokerspiv

Are you guys really so ignorant that you refuse to believe that the boss there has been doing this for years and years?

We know, I also paid 5000 baht the first two years.

Then I refused and took the fight and pay 1900 baht now.

Last four years we don't argue any more.

I just deliver an envelope marked "FEE 1900 Baht"

• Like 1

Stop misinforming the readers of this board otherwise.

Who is misinforming who? We have a genuine visas, They perhaps do frown upon some of the educational visas, not the first time, How many people have abused that system.

• Like 1

Is the right answer. Anyone paying more than the published fee since the sign went up only has themselves to blame; providing of course they are otherwise legal. The "they'll throw me out" crap is utter nonsence; as to do so would see cats and bags parting company at a rapid rate of knots as soon as the first complainant went public.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

Is the right answer. Anyone paying more than the published fee since the sign went up only has themselves to blame; providing of course they are otherwise legal. The "they'll throw me out" crap is utter nonsence; as to do so would see cats and bags parting company at a rapid rate of knots as soon as the first complainant went public.

Spot on.

My first visit to the Birdman for my visa and he took me into a cupboard (I kid you not) and sat me down on a box of photocopying paper to tell me that the visa that I wanted was not easy.

I got up and walked out.

Went to an agent - got the visa (for an additional 1,000 baht) and learnt the ropes.

Now - fixed price - standard fee.

Poorsucker is right - put the money in the envelope and hand it over in plain sight. This advice has been given before on this forum - no one has come back and said that it didn't work.

Some people have had to wait a long time - but they got a result.

Via extension at Immigration: 1900 baht + eventually re-entry and/or photo. Think I paid more first time, back in 2007.

Edit: Never got a reciept, but always kind and fast service whistling.gif

Edited by khunPer

Poorsucker is right - put the money in the envelope and hand it over in plain sight. This advice has been given before on this forum - no one has come back and said that it didn't work.

Ok I have to ask why put money in a envelope? This sound's like one of those urban myths

Why do people either drive extras slow or extra fast. Idiots

and they always drive extra slow when you are busy and you need to move a bit more quickly. sad.png

so true. i belive in some countries u can be arrested for driving too slow as well as too fast

Stop misinforming the readers of this board otherwise.

Who is misinforming who? We have a genuine visas, They perhaps do frown upon some of the educational visas, not the first time, How many people have abused that system.

I gave you examples of two people on completely different legal visas. 1 education, 1 marriage.

The guy is still doing it. It's great that you have the time to come back 5 times to eventually force him to process your visa for the standard fee. Some people can't afford taking 4-5 days off work to do that. He knows that, which is why he keeps doing it.

Posted Yesterday, 12:33

bornredi, on 09 Jul 2013 - 11:20, said:snapback.png

you really think all accidents are caused by drugs or drinking, seen plenty of accidents in the good ol USA with all there rules, regulations, traffic stops, cameras, etc. Life is full of risks and dangers, I just do not need a government nanny state to protect me and give me the false illusion of safety. If you want freedom there are risks, if you are un able to handle the risks that go along with not living in a police state go back to England or some other nanny state.

Before we grab our suitcases please enlighten us as to how may days you've been here?

5 years,

my opinion for what it worth is, these roads are dangerous very dangerous, if you drive with your head some where else more sooner than later you get a tattoo or worse, most people do not use or even understand what situational awareness is especially the ones on holiday. Are these the most dangerous roads ever, no not by a long shot. I see way to many first time bike riders here, throw in alcohol, being on vacation, etc, you now have a recipe for a accident.

Also see a lot of people come here because it is a cheap place to live, but after a short time they forget why they came here and want to make it more like home, cops everywhere, regulations out you a**, they miss there nanny state.

• Like 1

Ok I have to ask why put money in a envelope? This sound's like one of those urban myths

For the same reason applicants stick photos to their TM7 ;)

Why do people either drive extras slow or extra fast. Idiots

The driving here is better than this tongue.png

Only because we do not have snow thumbsup.gif

Imagine if we did?

We just need more dashcams in Thailand! Great stuff in the vid.

I now also understand why a litre of wodka before getting behind the weel is mandatory in Russia. Some nice flexible bodies in those clips!!!

Why is the problem the enforcers? No-one ever complains about the law breakers? I see Thais/Farangs etc breaking every rule in the book, but they all complain that " the police should do more!"

Because we can't do anything about the law-breakers, but they can.

If they enforced license requirements, drink-driving and speeding laws for a start, the roads here would be much safer.

50% of the cars here would be off the road for a start, because most people do not have a valid license to drive them.

6 of 1 half a dozen of the other. We like freedom to not wear a helmet and drive flat out but then again the side effect can be death broken bones holiday nightmare on the other hand if police were sitting around all day with speed guns, fining everybody for drink driving doing constant helmet checks then people would be constantly either in the police station or in jaik for drink driving. constantly paying speed fines extra. i think there would be more unhappy people saying " i did not do nothing" going home pissed off than the people who have had crashes. The thing is that samui is run like an Ampher and not like a city even though it has been given Nakorn status but the police at the same time want people to be happy. it is a shame thaty allot of us depend on the police to look after ourselves. if we all obiayed the laws then we ourselves would have less accidents.

Being a good driver is being aware of other bad drivers or just drivers on the road and to drive at a safe speed in the right part of the road using indicator and thing to avoid accidents. If you are watching all the time and not playing on the phone driving a safe speed not being drunk then u should be propared for the meth man driving his truck speeding towards you. of coarse there are some exeptions but we ourelves can cut the fatality rate down.i know it wont stop all crashes and fatlitiees as some of them the victims can do oting about but thats life, and death

There are plenty of rules and regulations in Thailand, seatbelts, drink drive, helmets, driving in outside lane on dual carriageway , wheel clamping, speed cameras, driving through red light etc. all nanny state stuff its just Samui that does not enforce them. hence road accidents and deaths so high there.

• Like 2

yes then everyone complanes or runs where they do helmet checks. Everyone wants the police to force them to wear a helmet because the people themselves know they should wear one but dont. They want to be forced to strange world. Thailand is a very much up to you place. ytou can behave bad and dangerous but you are the one that is going to suffer.

• Like 2

yes then everyone complanes or runs where they do helmet checks. Everyone wants the police to force them to wear a helmet because the people themselves know they should wear one but dont. They want to be forced to strange world. Thailand is a very much up to you place. ytou can behave bad and dangerous but you are the one that is going to suffer.

Helmet checks are becoming more frequent on the island. Three days in a row this week.

Monday - Bangrak, Tuesday - Bophut, Wednesday - Maenam.

Driving tests are more stringent.

Things are getting better? I think so.

Now - let's close all of the bars at midnight (it is the law). This will aslo help with drink driving! hit-the-fan.gifbeatdeadhorse.gif

Speeding is not an issue anymore. I spent an hour or two doing 'errands' today and rarely got out of third gear! Average speed - 25 kph!

Helmet checks are becoming more frequent on the island. Three days in a row this week.

Monday - Bangrak, Tuesday - Bophut, Wednesday - Maenam.

Driving tests are more stringent.

Things are getting better? I think so.

Now - let's close all of the bars at midnight (it is the law). This will aslo help with drink driving! hit-the-fan.gifbeatdeadhorse.gif

Speeding is not an issue anymore. I spent an hour or two doing 'errands' today and rarely got out of third gear! Average speed - 25 kph!

yes it is hard to speed now with all these trucks and school buses and songtails and taxis adveetising trucks women drivers lol around.

I could not care less about helmet checks.

Whether or not people choose to wear a helmet does not affect me or anyone else. It's a risk they are taking for themselves only.

But when people are allowed to drive trucks and SUVs blind drunk, overtake on blind corners and hills, drive at ridiculous speeds on busy roads, and actively force other people off the road if they aren't matching your speed, then that does affect me and everyone else.

• Like 1

I could not care less about helmet checks.

Whether or not people choose to wear a helmet does not affect me or anyone else. It's a risk they are taking for themselves only.

But when people are allowed to drive trucks and SUVs blind drunk, overtake on blind corners and hills, drive at ridiculous speeds on busy roads, and actively force other people off the road if they aren't matching your speed, then that does affect me and everyone else.

Unfortunately when u have to deal with the relatives and have to tell or not but you yourself knows that the victim would only have a bruise if they were wearing a helmet you might revise your views

• Like 1