Ecuador 'analysing' Snowden asylum request: FM

webfact

This is getting more pathetic by the day. Snowden is being played like a ping pong ball. He's really just a sap anyway. JT mentioned earlier his 15 minutes of fame might fade earlier, perhaps around 10 minutes....

• Like 1

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I missing something, but is Ecuador's involvement in this to do with freedom of human rights?

Or is it to do with animosity towards the US?

Snowden looks like he's still at Moscow airport.

Maybe Beijing next stop.

Am I missing something, but is Ecuador's involvement in this to do with freedom of human rights?

Maybe Beijing next stop.

The longer he stays there, the quicker his value diminishes. As mentioned, Beijing and Moscow have already zapped everything out of his laptops, probably by just giving him a sleeping pill in his food, nothing too cloak and dagger. He is becoming a liability to every country at this point.

• Like 2

So the Snowden family thinks that they can demand special breaks for him to agree to repatriate? I'd say let him rot in Siberia rather than cave to such demands. It sure looks like he's stuck in Russia now, that is, unless Russia boots him out too. The U.S. may give him a few bones to come back, but he's not going to get all he demands.

Maybe Beijing next stop.

The longer he stays there, the quicker his value diminishes. As mentioned, Beijing and Moscow have already zapped everything out of his laptops, probably by just giving him a sleeping pill in his food, nothing too cloak and dagger. He is becoming a liability to every country at this point.

I would imagine that they just told them that they were going to take exactly what they wanted. What could he do about it?

That is probably why he wants to come home. He has nothing that they want any more - other than to embarass the USA.

• Like 2

Maybe Beijing next stop.

I would imagine that they just told them that they were going to take exactly what they wanted. What could he do about it?

That is probably why he wants to come home. He has nothing that they want any more - other than to embarass the USA.

Agreed. I wouldn't put it past Moscow to give him some kind of exit plan, first informing the US authorities, so that they can nab him and everybody wins.

if you think big brother is watching you in the US, try living in China.

Obama's ok. So is his missus who didn't want anything to do with Mr and mrs Xi Jinping on their recen visit to the US.

China does not claim to be a democracy and the "Land of the Free"!

Correct. Any threat to national security they eliminate.

The US doesn't have freedom in the media anyway. GWB, or his string pullers put a stop to that when they ordered media not to release any footage of soldiers that had died in the war on terror being brought home.

Sorry Scott, hadn't read your last entry when I last posted.

Can't delete it as the software won't let me edit that reply. Something is wrong and I complained about it on the appropriate forum ages ago, but nothing has improved since.

I have deleted a number of posts and replies.

There is a limited amount of time for you to edit a post and I don't believe you can delete them. Some posters, just delete what they have written and write delete. You can't leave a post completely blank.

The plan to spirit the surveillance whistleblower Edward Snowden to sanctuary in Latin America appeared to be unravelling on Friday, amid tension between Ecuador's government and Julian Assange, the founder of WikiLeaks.

President Rafael Correa halted an effort to help Snowden leave Russia amid concern Assange was usurping the role of the Ecuadoran government, according to leaked diplomatic correspondence published on Friday.

Amid signs Quito was cooling with Snowden and irritated with Assange, Correa declared invalid a temporary travel document which could have helped extract Snowden from his reported location in Moscow.

Correa declared that the safe conduct pass issued by Ecuador's London consul – in collaboration with Assange – was unauthorised, after other Ecuadorean diplomats privately said the WikiLeaks founder could be perceived as "running the show".

Yes, there's a lot of diplomatic double talk going on in all of this. Snowden appears to be the fool of every foreign government involved in this fiasco except the PRC - the Boyz in Beijing got rid of Snowden very quickly, wiped their hands of him post haste, completely ignoring all of the extradition and asylum laws of Hong Kong in the process.

Equadorean president Correa is now blaming Russia at the same time he admits his own government didn't do what it had in fact done. Now the government of Vietnam is getting dragged into the contradictory and double timing schemes going on between Russia and Equador.

Julian Assange is being blamed by Correa, which last year gave him asylum, for trying to give orders to every government involved (except the United States).

Ecuadorean officials have said publicly they cannot start considering Snowden's asylum request until he arrives either in Ecuador or in an Ecuadorean embassy. Two Equadorean government officials with direct knowledge of the negotiations said Ecuador had been making detailed plans to receive and host Snowden. One of the officials said those plans had been thwarted by Russia's refusal to let Snowden leave or be picked up by Ecuadorean officials.

Snowden intended to travel from Moscow with the further intention of going on to the Ecuadorean capital of Quito, but after he was held up in the Moscow airport, Ecuador asked Russia to let him take a commercial flight to meet Foreign Minister Ricardo Patino in Vietnam or Singapore, where Patino was on a pre-planned official trip, in order to be taken back to Quito by Patino, the official told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the official was not authorized to speak to the press.

The Russians rejected Ecuador's requests to let Snowden leave Moscow, or to let an Ecuadorean government plane pick him up there, the official said.Ecuadorean President Rafael Correa told reporters on Thursday that Snowden was "in the hands of the authorities" in Russia. But Russian authorities have said Snowden is outside Russian control in a transit area of the Moscow airport, which is technically not Russian territory.

Snowden is a stupid fool. He has placed his person in the hands of complete strangers in different parts of the world, involving three continents and the likes of Vladimir Putin and the Boyz in Beijing. Correa comes across as a pretty shady character too, as does the self-serving Assange as he himself operates in the shadows.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/snowdens-father-betrayed-government-not-people-us-2013-6#ixzz2XgTWmFXt

Edited by Publicus
  • Like 1

Ecuadorian business community is really shitting bricks.

"We can't put the interests of 14 million Ecuadoreans at risk because of a 29-year-old hacker whom we don't even know," Descalzi said. "This gentleman doesn't mean anything to us."

The business impacts of the Snowden affair have infuriated Ecuador's main business groups, who accuse the government of putting ideology before commerce.

The decision to renounce the Andean Trade deal was "permeated by political and ideological motives," said Roberto Aspiazu, chairman of a coalition of Ecuador's largest industries.

*edited for fair use*

http://news.yahoo.com/ecuador-flower-growers-snowden-shock-072605949.html

Edited by Scott
Edited for fair use

Vice President Biden Called Ecuador's President To Stop Him From Taking Edward Snowden

"He communicated a very courteous request from the United States that we reject the (asylum) request," Correa said during his weekly television broadcast, praising Biden's good manners in contrast to "brats" in Congress who had threatened to cut trade benefits over the Snowden issue.

Biden initiated the phone call, Correa said.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/biden-ecuadors-president-stop-snowden-asylum-2013-6#ixzz2XgizYsvO

Biden Called Ecuador's President About Snowden: U.S. Vice President Asked That Asylum Request Be Rejected

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323873904578575571578291386.html

Edited by Publicus

Russians not letting him leave . . . and does not appear to be revocation of passport causing his inability to leave.

The 30-year-old former National Security Agency contractor has not been able to leave the Moscow international airport.

"It's up to the Russian authorities if he can leave the Moscow airport for an Ecuadorean embassy," Correa said in an interview with Reuters in the coastal city of Portoviejo.

"He will be treated just like any other citizen even though he does not have a passport. We are clear that this is a special situation."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/30/us-usa-security-ecuador-idUSBRE95S0CC20130630

For you guys that do not want to believe . . . Bush stated as follows:

On Snowden: "I think he damaged the security of the country."

Asked about an NSA program that tracks people's Internet activity, Bush said, "I put that program in place to protect the country. One of the certainties was that civil liberties were guaranteed."

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/01/politics/bush-interview/?hpt=hp_inthenews

• Like 1

I wonder what would happen if he asked the Russians to let him go to the US Embassy?

That might throw a spanner in the works!

When they are done with him, they may be trying to push him out the door to just anywhere.

I don't think its a good sign for Snowden that no one really knows where he is and that he is apparently not talking to anyone including his father. Unless I misread, I thought his father said no recent contact. I tend think he is perhaps regretting his decision to go to Russia . . . unless of course this is a rouse he is now somewhere enjoying a pina colada on a beach some where.

For you guys that do not want to believe . . . Bush stated as follows:

On Snowden: "I think he damaged the security of the country."

Asked about an NSA program that tracks people's Internet activity, Bush said, "I put that program in place to protect the country. One of the certainties was that civil liberties were guaranteed."

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/01/politics/bush-interview/?hpt=hp_inthenews

Then there was 4.5 years under our wonderful new president... things change .

Edited by JDGRUEN

Snowden's situation in Russia being typically secretive Russian ... we can only speculate with hints of what might be. In international intrigue I tend to lean to the story being disguised ... By using a new tactic - keeping Snowden incognito - this will allow some time of quiet - no new headlines every day.. Then out of the blue we just might find Snowden gone ... Russia off the hook - just like Hong Kong ... A new temp stay in Cuba or Venezuela or who knows... If a receiving country was willing to hide Snowden in a remote enclave and he arrived in a military transport - who would know? Bottom line - someone will wise up and realize everything doesn't have to be broadcast on the International news...It is amazing what 'out of sight - out of mind' will do for an inflamed situation.

Snowden's situation in Russia being typically secretive Russian ... we can only speculate with hints of what might be. In international intrigue I tend to lean to the story being disguised ... By using a new tactic - keeping Snowden incognito - this will allow some time of quiet - no new headlines every day.. Then out of the blue we just might find Snowden gone ... Russia off the hook - just like Hong Kong ... A new temp stay in Cuba or Venezuela or who knows... If a receiving country was willing to hide Snowden in a remote enclave and he arrived in a military transport - who would know? Bottom line - someone will wise up and realize everything doesn't have to be broadcast on the International news...It is amazing what 'out of sight - out of mind' will do for an inflamed situation.

Out the window springs to mind.

Ecuador is probably out of the picture for Edward Snowden now.

Voices within EU governments, including Germany, getting louder to give him political asylum and citizenship. As one described, this would be the first real asylum in Germany.

We're still at the tip of the iceberg though, but the outrage in Europe is enormously high already.

USA hasn't answered to so many requests for explanations yet, but Clapper hinted that the USA will explain it through diplomatic channels.

Most EU countries are for public explanation and that is what will happen.

The arguments that this is for security no longer holds. I don't think that allies are considered as terrorist supporters, are they?

Please explain me someone what all this has to do with national security. - Zero-Nothing-Nadda-Zilch.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/

Edited by wealth

Disgraceful. China don't want him. Russia don't want him. Ecuador don't want him. USA wants his guts.

and the European Union are prepared to offer him asylum.

total and utter madness.

boys in Beijing will be pissing themselves.