Teaching during a formal interview

Do you need a work permit to do a demonstration teaching session during a formal interview? I'm not being coy here. This is a serious question. Will that be considered a violation of the Alien Employment Act?

Also the site http://wp.doe.go.th/ no longer translates to English. How convenient!

Edited by connda

No.

And that is quoted where in which Thai government regulation?

It will not be quoted anywhere, the law is not written that way...

The answer to your question could be Yes, No, maybe...the only person who can tell you this is the DOL/ immigration official you would be dealing with at that specific point in time, the law as its written is down to interpretation of a specific official...all you are going to get on TV are opinions, and in my opinion I agree with "Ubonjoe"

I think this is a troll post to be honest. Silly question. I am an Engineer in the Oil industry and you think I would need a WP if Shell Oil asked me to draw a simple process diagram on a chalk board during an interview?

If you don't like the way the Thai laws are set up here for WP's etc. then just do not work here.

Why would you need it? It is not paid labour, and the lesson is only a short demonstration. Paid work is different...

Good luck, don't worry about that...

Being paid or not doesnt come into this in terms of what is intepreted as work in terms of labour act in Thailand

I think this is a troll post to be honest. Silly question. I am an Engineer in the Oil industry and you think I would need a WP if Shell Oil asked me to draw a simple process diagram on a chalk board during an interview?

If you don't like the way the Thai laws are set up here for WP's etc. then just do not work here.

Based on something i heard some time back, and will stress its a rumour at this point, is that a Thai WP temporary or full WP) will be required in future even to conduct business meetings with companies in Thailand

In fact some of the MNC's some of them O&G even today will not even let you in the door of their premises as farang unless you have at least a temporary WP in your hand for a meeting..

So to answer your question, Shell Oil being a large MNC, may require it in terms of their corparate compliance polices within Thailand...ie they will arrange a temporary WP to be in their premises...so as an extension of this...yes they may require it to conduct an interview for a job for a farang.

so maybe not such a silly question

No.

And that is quoted where in which Thai government regulation?

It will not be quoted anywhere, the law is not written that way...

The answer to your question could be Yes, No, maybe...the only person who can tell you this is the DOL/ immigration official you would be dealing with at that specific point in time, the law as its written is down to interpretation of a specific official...all you are going to get on TV are opinions, and in my opinion I agree with "Ubonjoe"

I couldn't agree with you more - before my retirement as a teacher (with WP and Visa)I was invited to teach English to both labour department staff and police officers, in their own premises and both without work permits or changes to place of work! Edited by BrianCR

Based on something i heard some time back, and will stress its a rumour at this point, is that a Thai WP temporary or full WP) will be required in future even to conduct business meetings with companies in Thailand

I genuinely hope that does happen though very much doubt that it will because it would be verging on economic suicide.

It would be a good thing in the long term because it couldn't possibly last and would force the government to clear up once and for all the murky situation that exists today.

I genuinely hope that does happen though very much doubt that it will because it would be verging on economic suicide.

It would be a good thing in the long term because it couldn't possibly last and would force the government to clear up once and for all the murky situation that exists today.

As mentioned previously, some MNC's already require it, cant see how this cause economic suicide ?...getting a temporary WP for this purpose is a very easy process, turn around is 24 hours or less for a 14 day WP

As mentioned previously, some MNC's already require it, cant see how this cause economic suicide ?...getting a temporary WP for this purpose is a very easy process, turn around is 24 hours or less for a 14 day WP

I agree with you on the MNC's and I believe this issue has been taken up at high levels of government in recent years. Thailand must be already losing significant MICE business because it's so much easier for an MNC to just choose somewhere else in the region to hold meetings and conferences.

But just looking at the numbers; approximately 60,000 arrivals per day of which (let's say) 20% might be business related means 12,000 temporary work permits per day. The vast majority of those don't work for MNC's that can make an application for them so what are they supposed to do? Pitch up at the Labour Department?

And yes, I believe it would have a massive effect on trade. Suicidal might be an exaggeration but certainly the consequences would be serious.

So where would you want to set up busines - in business friendly, good English speaking, low bureaucracy (relative) coutries like Malaysia, Myanmar, Philipines, etc or xenophobic, low English speaking, confusiingly bureaucratic Thailand who can hardly be described as business friendly.

Hmmm - sounds like this rumour, if it becomes more than rumour, could be yet another shot in the foot. Thailand really does need to wake up to the outside world - but probably can't and won't.

If teaching a demonstraton is p[art of the interview process then no WP is required. Again, some of you have gone into the deep end with no paddle.

You cant catagorically state this, as much as someone can catagorically state that they would need a WP as pointed out in earlier posts currently it is the individual offical your dealing with at that specific point in time who interprets the rules as they see fit...

Khun DOL/immigration offical on a particular day because he has a hangover or has had an argument with his Mia Noi the previous night, may decide someone is working...and what is a person to do...say no its not correct because "wayned" on TV said I didnt need one ?

common sense dictates that they should not need a WP to conduct a job interview, but we a playing in a country where for the most part common sense is not among the skill set of goverment officals

No one has gone off the deep end, there are precedents in place were someone turning up for a business meeting required a valid WP to even get in the door of certain companies, so the question is...if its truely not required for the likes of a business meeting, why do such companies go to the trouble of getting temporary WP for people visiting their companies?...my opinion...most of these companies have legal departments who have looked at the rules and decided that yes a WP is required or they have have even contacted the higher up's in the DOL/Immigration and have been told they need them

• Like 1

A demonstration of of skill during a job interview is a far cry from attending a formal business meeting. Much like student teachers in TEFL training, a simple demonstration by teaching a class during the job interview is not considered in the scope of WP. As for the errant government official creating problems, that could happen but would readily be resolved in favor of the job applicant. O&G companies that restrict non-Thais from entering their facility for lack of WP may have other reasons to do so and will have difficulty interviewing within the country. Temporary work permits for large industrial companies may be normal, but it is sadly not a practice with teachers in Thailand.

The big legal question would be what type of visa do you have. Seeking employment on a tourist visa is a legal violation. If you have a visa which allows for work, then the demonstration would not be a violation of law.

As Scott just stated as above. You are not legally allowed to even search for work on a tourist visa. If you are on a Non immigrant visa, that allows for work, then yes you can interview and do a demo lesson. As in some demo lessons, you don't actually teach to a class just those interviewing you.

As others have stated being paid in cash or kind is not a stipulation of work. Many things that we do can be construed as work. Will it be likely that we will be caught/arrested/prosecuted/deported, not at all. As others have stated also many people teach without work permits and even teach government officers and police. They don't usually give a hassle to those that are offering something they need.

However, just because things aren't always enforced doesn't make them right.

The big legal question would be what type of visa do you have. Seeking employment on a tourist visa is a legal violation. If you have a visa which allows for work, then the demonstration would not be a violation of law.

Marriage extension -- I'm qualified, and taught 3 year prior to this on a regular Business visa. A visa is not an issue in my case. Thanks.

No visa allows you to work. Only a work permit does that.

A work permit can be applied for with a tourist visa but it cannot be issued without a non immigrant visa.

In fact some of the MNC's some of them O&G even today will not even let you in the door of their premises as farang unless you have at least a temporary WP in your hand for a meeting..

So to answer your question, Shell Oil being a large MNC, may require it in terms of their corparate compliance polices within Thailand...ie they will arrange a temporary WP to be in their premises...so as an extension of this...yes they may require it to conduct an interview for a job for a farang.

I wonder whether full implementation of the AEC will mean that all ASEAN countries will agree a common policy on situations like this?

I wonder whether full implementation of the AEC will mean that all ASEAN countries will agree a common policy on situations like this?

One assumes they will need to address WP issues under the AEC...if they do make it easier for Asean citizens, one suspects it may not bode well for non-Asean farangs working in Thailand, as it will be less hassle and cheaper to employ someone from an Asean country over a western farangs