Helping the Thai family out.....

Chittychangchang

Hi Members,

How many on here regularly help out financially or in an advisory capacity with the Thai family/in laws.

My own experience was to help out with Home improvement to the tune of 200,000 baht over ten years ago.

I also helped advise on a fish farm and growing certain vegetables that where trading at a high price in Europe, for which they did well until everyone started copying them.

We'll sometimes send a few thousand baht a couple of times of year instead of presents.

What do you do to improve Thai relations and promote harmony?

Regards

CCC

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely support my wife in her supporting her family, any good Thai should be sending at least a few thousand baht per month to help out their parents, especially (but not only) if they are in need. If you claim your wife doesn't do this, perhaps she's found it best to do it on the sly, which to me is a shame.

Up to her how much or how often, it's out of her money, which may ultimately mostly come from me, but she has to choose between her personal shopping needs, savings for the future etc balanced against what she wants to do to help them, including emergencies, periodic ceremonies whatever.

I don't even know for sure, but believe most of the time she'd average 3-4,000 a month, and she's got three siblings doing at least that much.

Were you referring to me ?

With 70 Rai of rice, I don't consider her parents and family need any financial help. If they cannot manage with that many Rai, they need to look at why.

Two other daugters working and a son in law working.

In saying that, I gave them 5,000 Baht recently when the g/f's grandfatrher died to help out with expenses - yet I was not asked for anything.

Mother got 1000 Baht for her birthday and father will get the same.

That's it in regards of helping the family out. They managed perfectly well before I came along.

• Like 1

I completely support my wife in her supporting her family, any good Thai should be sending at least a few thousand baht per month to help out their parents, especially (but not only) if they are in need. If you claim your wife doesn't do this, perhaps she's found it best to do it on the sly, which to me is a shame.

Up to her how much or how often, it's out of her money, which may ultimately mostly come from me, but she has to choose between her personal shopping needs, savings for the future etc balanced against what she wants to do to help them, including emergencies, periodic ceremonies whatever.

I don't even know for sure, but believe most of the time she'd average 3-4,000 a month, and she's got three siblings doing at least that much.

Any good Thai would have provided for their children.

Well said. I find it more disturbing if a girl with parents who are not well off financially don't help them out on a monthly basis.

Interested in hearing in what way she signed the farm over. Lease..usufruct?

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ever heard of ownership? AOA is Thai! Posted Image

Ok. Thought they were farang helping out the inlaws.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I was admiring the new roof I bought which now extends off the house and provides a new large shaded area. It really expanded the living area. I also put in a a new western style bathroom for about 8000b. The squat toilet and bucket of water in the outhouse is still used more often. I've tried to get them to use the new one but they think I built it for myself and the few days a year I visit. I don't think there were any changes at the house for 30 years, when they built it.

The family has never asked for anything. I'm an honored guest when I'm there. It's rewarding being generous to my wife's family. I'd spend more time there except for the chickens crowing at 5 AM and no internet.

• Like 2

Interesting thread. It reminded me of why I didn't marry a Thai. (The thousand other reasons aside.)

Each to their own I suppose. I am never going to get married either way but in my life I have seen the guys I work with offshore get screwed over way harder by bitter western women that the Thai ladys ever get. Talking about hundreds of thousands of dollars on top of high end homes. I would never be one to say Thai women are bad, but I would say nothing is more evil than a woman scorned.

That's most unfortunate. I say it's their own fault for choosing poorly. (And not that it matters, but I am not/have never been married to a "western woman".)

• Like 2

Helping people help themselves is the correct answer. Straight charity does not always work. Occasionally it does, but more often it just takes away from a person's incentive to work. Unless you actually know the people involved there is no definitive answer.

I still say that if you can help just one or two people reach a higher level in your life then you've been of some value. As much as we may want to help all those in need, it is just a physical impossibility.

Yes that is what should be done to help people help themselves. Some people don't like doing that as then they loose control. I am 100% for helping people to better themselves and make money. Its the only way to go.

• Like 1

My Thai relations don't need any improving and are harmonious enough already.

I wish I could be as generous as you but my relations are not poor people in need of my or anyone else's help.

We give to the disabled child center in Bangkok

Just be careful, because it is never enough. I have put a limit to what I can and able to do for mine

• Like 1

I am looking for Thai familiy to send my money to if one knows one I have trouble finding a poor one PM so I can send my money to them

harry,

ask some of the girls around your place im sure they would be able to help you out on this,

jake

• Like 1

I am looking for Thai familiy to send my money to if one knows one I have trouble finding a poor one PM so I can send my money to them

Wonder why my irony-alarm is going off here.....

• Like 1

im sorry but this could be a long story, and with my writing skills, could be <deleted>,,lol

when i first met my wife, her perents house and this is were she was living was a tin and wood shed, for better words,

so i said right ill help build a little house, they had concrete posts in, so it was just a matter of getting the blocks ect, anyway it cost me about 1,200 pounds, i laid lots of the blocks while i was on leave to,

witch all the village thought was great a falang doing building work,(my dad was a builder),

we stayed in one of the 2 bedrooms while i was building pig stys on our land, witch i gave grandma 50,000bht for 2 rai, she said she didnt want anything that my wife would get it anyway when she was gone, but i gave her it and told her to put it in the bank,

now we have our house built, and we have a beautiful daughter, i pay mama 4bht a month becouse she halps my wife when im at work anywere in the world, it makes me feel better knowing that mama is about to help out,

my wifes father WAS a drinker and lazy when i first came on the scene,,

i sat my wife down with her mama and said its not my job to keep his family, its his job, if he wants to sit in the hamock everyday doing nothing up to him, but dont expect anything from me,

now after 7 years of seeing me going away to work, 8 on 4 off ect, papa has started to work, stoped drinking and goes away to work picking fruit ect, come home for a bit to plant the rice, goes back to work, then come home to do the second planting, and ive never seen mama so happy,

she said to my wife,, now i have a husband i can be proud of, he works hard now,

so it isnt just about giving money, it can be about just shoving them in the right direction at the right time,,,

sorry about the long winded reply,,

jake

You helped them to help themselves in a way educated the father. That is the way how it is done not by pouring endless amounts of money in it that is as you say not your responsibility.

• Like 1