Trying to access secure.ssa.gov

I registered myself last year on ssa.gov website to access my SS information.

Today, I wanted to print a revised SS estimated benefits from "My account" website but when I try to access "my social security" sign in, I get the message "The server at secure.ssa.gov is taking too long to respond".

I have tried it a number of times today.

I use FF and I have also tried IE with the same results.

The website is http://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/

I just (10 PM Monday) logged on and requested a verification of benefits letter. Including registering it took me about 5 minutes to complete everything. I'm using 3BB in Pattaya.

When I used to have TOT I would sometimes need to use a proxy to log in and request information. It simply froze up if I tried to so the same thing directly using TOT.

Edited by Suradit69

I just logged in now and had to change my password, the 6 month password rule expired. Using Google Chrome.

I forgot my password also. Last time I checked SSA wanted to send me a "temporary" password to my home (in USA) by hard copy mail and said within 10 days to go to website use temp password to reset new password ..... I get the feeling you changed your password using just online site ...... Is that correct? if so could you please tell me how you did it, I would really be grateful ....... thank you very much

I hope you get a satisfactory response soon, because I am having the exact same problem. Very frustrating when they send you an email saying be sure to check out their site, and then you can't get through.

I couldn't even open a "My Social Security" account. First it was because I had an overseas address. Then I called SSA and officially changed my address to a physical US address. I still could not create the account, I got the message, something like, "Unable to verify, please correct the information and resubmit." Problem is, it was all perfect, so I called again. The guy asked me if I had a "privacy block" on my credit report and I said no, I've never done that. He said that they used one of the three credit reporting bureaus (I think it was Experian) to verify the information and it was unable to verify my information. I said, "Well, you must know who I am, you send me money every month." He said, "Sorry, if Experian cannot verify, you will have to come into your local SSA office and open the account there." Right, just a quick trip to my nearest SSA office! I'll get right over there.

I have not used US credit in years. I had a perfect rating and all the cards and lines of credit to go with it. After I got over here, I asked myself, "Why are you even playing this stupid game anymore? You are free!" And I dumped it all and never looked back. I simply don't use any credit at all anymore and it feels good. People in the US learn to be enslaved by the credit system right out of the cradle. It's just something we accept. Now, it's still screwing me! I am guessing, that the Experian database shows whatever address I had the last time I had a credit card or any other form of US credit, thus, cannot verify current information. Actually, that makes me happy.

Oh well, who needs a "My Social Security" account anyway. I have survived all my life without one and can finish it without one.

I tried to get poster "metisdead" to tell me if he was able to change SSA password online or had to wait for SSA to send hard copy snail mail to USA house with a temp password (good for only 10 days) and then go online and log in with temp password and create a new password. Does anyone know if you can change password directly online? Thank You

It has been my experience that you must use the US Social Security site during US business hours. I know it sounds incredible for a website to only work during business hours but that appears to be what the problem is

I just don't understand why posters are not receiving the notification that: site is closed, please check back during business hours, which is what I receive when I try and log in during the day in Thailand