Olde Bell Closing Down Sale

OldeBellPedr

As many of you will already be aware, The Olde Bell will be closing this Sunday 30th June. We’d like to thank the folks at Thai Visa for allowing us to be their host for the past few years and Beer and I wish everyone associated with Thai Visa all the best for the future.

We will be holding table top sale this Thursday 27th June from midday until 4pm. We’ll be selling off Hundreds of Books, CD’s DVD’s Clothing, Bric-a-Brac, Pub Paraphanalia (including Beer glasses, beer holders), British, Irish and Australian Tea bags. Stationery items, furniture and more. Most items will cost only 20 Baht and there are some real bargains to be had.

If you want to spend a bit more, how about a pool table? Flat screen TV’s? Coffee machines, drinks fridge. Come along and make us an offer!

Spend a minimum of 150 Baht in our table top sale and get 20% off all regular priced food and drinks from 1pm-4pm on Thursday.

Best wishes to you all. Pedr and Beer

• Like 2

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive only been into the Olde Bell a few times but each time it was great food and wonderful atmosphere. Sad to hear that youre closing down and will try and make it there this Thursday.

I wish you both all the best in your future endeavours

Regards Andy

Edited by CMKiwi

It is a shame to see a respected business close because of over greedy land owners. I sincerely hope she sits on the property for years with no tenants. I think there was no other place in Chiang Mai that I could get a breakfast with a decent serving of ham.

Sad to see you are considering leaving the country.

Why not just move to a different location?

For thailand the old 'location-location-location' thing doesn't often apply. Especially not when the market is a good number of residents / expats, and that many in your target demographic dont' feel like going down LK.

And then finally, the old location (building itself) isn't all that great, with that stupid ATM machine blocking the entrance and overall a bit cramped inside.

So why not move some place else, even if it's in a less expected location?

To be honest it was a bit hard to locate at first. Almost hidden away. I had heard so much about it that when I finaly located it and looked at it from the out side I thought they have to be kidding.

Business down LoiKroh Road seems dire at the moment .Went down there last Saturday night at 12.30 am and most of the bars in and around the boxing ring area had only one or two customers .It did not help that the police then came at 12.45 am and closed the bars down .

Sorry to hear about the OLd Bell .I will be there on Thursday to pick up some things for my garden home bar .

Why not just move to a different location?

For thailand the old 'location-location-location' thing doesn't often apply. Especially not when the market is a good number of residents / expats, and that many in your target demographic dont' feel like going down LK.

And then finally, the old location (building itself) isn't all that great, with that stupid ATM machine blocking the entrance and overall a bit cramped inside.

So why not move some place else, even if it's in a less expected location?

Once bitten twice shy springs to mind.

Sorry to hear that. If it's as hellodolly says, that kind of carry-on doesn't surprise me. It happens way too often here and will likely occur wholesale the way the town is going, or perhaps it's all part of a higher plan... to have that particular street void of any action.

Winnie; perhaps he just doesn't want the hassle. Can't blame him.

All the best.

Shame to see the old place go Pedr (my old dad will be disappointed that the only other Lions fan in Asia, has left too) - where will I bring the girls for the Songkran water fight now sad.png - and my old dad on his thrice yearly visits.

With Tuskers and The Guitarman a footnote in history and the Old Belle soon to be - almost no reason to venture in to town for a beer any more.

Edited by wolf5370

Shame to see the old place go Pedr (my old dad will be disappointed that the only other Lions fan in Asia, has left too) - where will I bring the girls for the Songkran water fight now sad.png - and my old dad on his thrice yearly visits.

With Tuskers and The Guitarman a footnote in history and the Old Belle soon to be - almost no reason to venture in to town for a beer any more.

UN Irish Pub, Red Lion, Mad Dog, Chiang Mai Saloon, Kafe, Rider's Corner, Boy's Blues Pub, Inter Bar, Number 1, Riverside bar, Tiger Kingdom In Town, and so on? Several of the LK bars, and John's Place, are nice enough to hang out, too.

Both places you mention, while pleasant, were in business for a fairly limited amount of time, both having runs of (maybe) 2-3 years.. Not exactly Chiang Mai fixtures that are disappearing? Pubs come and go, most of them anyway, but the people stay the same, and there's always the next place.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

UN Irish Pub, Red Lion, Mad Dog, Chiang Mai Saloon, Kafe and so on?

http://www.thepubchiangmai.com/

• Like 1

UN Irish Pub, Red Lion, Mad Dog, Chiang Mai Saloon, Kafe, Rider's Corner, Boy's Blues Pub, Riverside bar, Tiger Kingdom In Town, and so on? Several of the LK bars, and John's Place, are nice enough to hang out, too.

Both places you mention, while pleasant, were in business for a fairly limited amount of time, both having runs of (maybe) 2-3 years.. Not exactly Chiang Mai fixtures that are disappearing? Pubs come and go, most of them anyway, but the people stay the same, and there's always the next place.

I suggest there is a huge difference between the places you've listed and the closest thing there is to an English pub in CM, it's for that reason that the Olde Bell will be missed.

• Like 2

UN Irish Pub, Red Lion, Mad Dog, Chiang Mai Saloon, Kafe, Rider's Corner, Boy's Blues Pub, Riverside bar, Tiger Kingdom In Town, and so on? Several of the LK bars, and John's Place, are nice enough to hang out, too.

Both places you mention, while pleasant, were in business for a fairly limited amount of time, both having runs of (maybe) 2-3 years.. Not exactly Chiang Mai fixtures that are disappearing?

Sure - I meant for me (not in general). Red Lion is fine when in the local area, but not somewhere I'd travel too (not cheap because of the tourist element being right on the Night Bazaar). Never been to UN Irish (even before it adopted the "UN" moniker), Mad Dog has rude staff and boring customers (IMO) and allows smoking at the bar, Boy's is hardly a fixture either as its been there no more than a year or so (after Boy got kicked out of the Guitarman pretty much), River Side is a restaurant with music and far too expensive and crowded for a few beers/same same Good View, Tiger Kingdom is also new and also a restaurant (but I do like it - especially their cheese cakes and raw prawns - not together of course). John's Place is OK, but again wouldn't travel for it (nice to have a quick beer when up town anyway though).

Think Tuskers was open longer than 2-3 years - Guitarman about that time. Anyhow, wasn't really stating they were fixtures - just draws (for me at least). Now I go to The Dog and Bone [HangDong] for a beer (Hi Steve smile.png) it's near me, and the sort of place I like to have a nice drink and chat in (not girlie, not touristy/rip off/not over crowded/polite and friendly staff/regulars)

Edited by wolf5370
  • Like 1

Right, but he said 'venture into town'. The Pub is venturing out of town. ;)

Both places you mention, while pleasant, were in business for a fairly limited amount of time, both having runs of (maybe) 2-3 years.. Not exactly Chiang Mai fixtures that are disappearing?

Sure - I meant for me (not in general). Red Lion is fine when in the local area, but not somewhere I'd travel too (not cheap because of the tourist element being right on the Night Bazaar). Never been to UN Irish (even before it adopted the "UN" moniker), Mad Dog has rude staff and boring customers (IMO) and allows smoking at the bar, Boy's is hardly a fixture either as its been there no more than a year or so (after Boy got kicked out of the Guitarman pretty much), River Side is a restaurant with music and far too expensive and crowded for a few beers/same same Good View, Tiger Kingdom is also new and also a restaurant (but I do like it - especially their cheese cakes and raw prawns - not together of course). John's Place is OK, but again wouldn't travel for it (nice to have a quick beer when up town anyway though).

Think Tuskers was open longer than 2-3 years - Guitarman about that time. Anyhow, wasn't really stating they were fixtures - just draws (for me at least). Now I go to The Dog and Bone [HangDong] for a beer (Hi Steve smile.png) it's near me, and the sort of place I like to have a nice drink and chat in (not girlie, not touristy/rip off/not over crowded/polite and friendly staff/regulars)

Yeah.. All of that makes sense. Dog and Bone is near me too actually. Probably worth supporting.

Sorry to extend this tangent but Guitarman was around for more like 6 years at least. A...err... friend of mine played there regularly 2003-2005 & it was around for several years afterwards.

Edited by cm das
  • Like 1

Right, but he said 'venture into town'. The Pub is venturing out of town. wink.png

OK in town

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/106466-cherry-bar/

and

http://www.omalleys-thai.com/

Edited by khwaibah
  • Like 1

re

Sorry to extend this tangent but Guitarman was around for more like 6 years at least. A...err... friend of mine played there regularly 2003-2005 & it was around for several years afterwards.

guitar man closed after august 11 and bear bar opened around xmas 12

dave2

post-42592-0-72550200-1372165900_thumb.j

post-42592-0-95718900-1372165977_thumb.j

Where is the Dog and Bone ?

About 50 m off Hang Dong Road, opp the big Sony sign, so travelling

south from CM turn left into the soi that's pretty well opp the Sony sign

Past Big C, past traffic lights, past Makro, left after 7/11

Yep, Ban WanTan turn off - big fruit sign on left, even bigger Sony sign on right - about 10m around the corner

I suggest there is a huge difference between the places you've listed and the closest thing there is to an English pub in CM, it's for that reason that the Olde Bell will be missed.

Then you've never been to The Pub on Huay Kaew Rd then. Doesn't get any more English than that. An old CM staple.

• Like 1

Where is the Dog and Bone ?

About 50 m off Hang Dong Road, opp the big Sony sign, so travelling

south from CM turn left into the soi that's pretty well opp the Sony sign

Past Big C, past traffic lights, past Makro, left after 7/11

Sounds like a pub worth checking out seeing It's around the corner from me. Thanks for the heads up.