Whats the Latest about UK Premier League Football

Pdavies99

I have been to Sophon offices, (both TV Cable and Sophon internet Shop) and have been told today they will not be offering Premier League Football this year.

Does anyone have reliable info about who is offering this in Pattaya (not Darkside)? And where to get and how much please?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.cth.co.th/ CTH, Cable Thai Holdings, which Supply Sophon and other smaller regional operators with contents like Fox, Universal and Syfy has won the bid for Premier League broadcast in Thailand, they are now rolling out satellite service, so if Sophon won't carry the Premier League channels, you can get a dish and box from CTH, too bad they don't have any information in English language yet.

• Like 1

Spoke to the CTH rep's in Pattaya yesterday, and picked up one of their brochures.

Packages are 3500 Baht initial payment for the, "black box", and 899 Baht a month for all channels. There doesn't appear to be any other package options, apart from the choice of satellite dish or cable connection (which is helpful for those who are restricted by condo regulations against dishes).

The channels included vary slightly from UBC, with the omission of BBC World for one, but with the combined CTH / Sophon package, I don't see any draw backs.

I'll post again with further details once the installation / connection has been carried out.

• Like 1

http://www.cth.co.th/package-599/

Looks like you do get a few more (dubious) channels on cable compared to via satellite, but again depends on where you are.

Some cable operators are anxious about joining CTH proper less they demote themselves to just cable installer and bill collector (and they might not be able to continue having dodgy channels like Astro or Movies from DVDs),

so they might only carry the usual channels from CTH but not participate in CTH's national marketing/ channel numbering scheme.

I suspect CTH is using the premier league as a carrot to lure local operators into joining under their umbrella and have more reach.

Spoke to the CTH rep's in Pattaya yesterday, and picked up one of their brochures.

Packages are 3500 Baht initial payment for the, "black box", and 899 Baht a month for all channels. There doesn't appear to be any other package options, apart from the choice of satellite dish or cable connection (which is helpful for those who are restricted by condo regulations against dishes).

The channels included vary slightly from UBC, with the omission of BBC World for one, but with the combined CTH / Sophon package, I don't see any draw backs.

I'll post again with further details once the installation / connection has been carried out.

Seeing that you mentioned that CTH offer a choice of satellite or cable connections,

can you let us know what you've requested?

Which area your in and if house or condo?

Thanks.

Seeing that you mentioned that CTH offer a choice of satellite or cable connections,

can you let us know what you've requested?

Which area your in and if house or condo?

Thanks.

I've requested cable in Central Pattaya, between 2nd & 3rd Roads in a condo, will update regarding installation.

Check out cth . co . th website for more information. They are offering 6 dedicated, high definition channels for the EPL for 599 baht for a three-year contract. The only thing not clear is whether or not they are giving both English and Thai commentaries, both for the EPL and their films.

I was quoted 1800 for the box + installation costs (this will be satellite).

Last dish installation I had done was 500 Baht (but I have my own dish, so that cost is not included).

Was your quote including dish, box and installation?

Just been informed the following by the official distributor of CTH in Pattaya:

If you have Sophon cable, you can go to them and get a cable tuner. None of the other cable TV companies can do this.

If you do not have Sophon, you need a satellite receiver. Official prices are:

1,800 Baht one time deposit (the box remains CTH property).

200 Baht one time registration fee.

125 Baht/month box rental

899 Baht/month for the EPL package (down to 599/month if prepaid for 3 years).

Maximum 3 receivers per household, plus 1,800 Baht deposit and 100 Baht registration per additional box (plus subscription).

The distributor normally only sell to installers,

So through an installer you need to add the cost for a small dish and the installation/his profit margin.

Required documents are ID card/housebook for Thai people, or passport and utility/internet bill showing name and address for foreigners.

CTH will send a monthly bill and you can pay at any counter service point (7/11, lotus etc).

Coming Monday they get the first delivery, but they are pretty much all reserved by the gazillion small installers in and around Pattaya.

Can see this turning into a total shambles and most of the country not being able to view the EPL come August

True are still saying that they are in negotiations with the cable company to get the games off them but I personally think that they are saying this just so people don't cancel yet

If you have Sophon cable, you can go to them and get a cable tuner. None of the other cable TV companies can do this.

Maximum 3 receivers per household, plus 1,800 Baht deposit and 100 Baht registration per additional box (plus subscription).

So through an installer you need to add the cost for a small dish and the installation/his profit margin.

Required documents are ID card/housebook for Thai people, or passport and utility/internet bill showing name and address for foreigners.

CTH will send a monthly bill and you can pay at any counter service point (7/11, lotus etc).

Coming Monday they get the first delivery, but they are pretty much all reserved by the gazillion small installers in and around Pattaya.

Well thats sounds great, but when I went to Sophon Cable on South Pattaya road yesterday, they told me No, we are not offering cable tuner and have cancelled contract this year?

Well thats sounds great, but when I went to Sophon Cable on South Pattaya road yesterday, they told me No, we are not offering cable tuner and have cancelled contract this year?

Possible. The people I talked to distribute satellite equipment only and are just responsible for distributing the satellite receivers here in the Pattaya area. They might not know what is happening with Sophon yet.

Sophon Broadband is definitely still listed on CTH's website as a Banglamung area dealer.

very useful thread and one to be followed, shame the FA do not get a bit more involved in how the rights are used especially in poorer countries where this may well deprive poorer people from seeing the games, but then again since when has the FA cared about anything but money money money.

CTH is using Vietnamese satellite, not the usual Thaicom, so you can't just swap out the box if you've already had a dish from true or freeview, at least you'll need a new lnb, or adjustments made to the old dish, or even a whole new dish pointing in the right direction

Football on TV is not basic rights, but even in Thailand it's a big deal, witness the uproar regarding the European Football and the World Cup on Free TV stuff a few years back.

At least in Thailand you do get all the matches, you can't even get that back in the UK (Saturday Mornings Pub Only Match?)

I'm sure the many bookmakers and entertainment venues in Thailand will want to sort out this mess as soon as possible, don't know how much clouts they would have though...

Edited by brummiebob

I'm sure the many bookmakers and entertainment venues in Thailand will want to sort out this mess as soon as possible, don't know how much clouts they would have though...

Bookmakers?

Why do you think people watch so much Football? Why are there multiple newspapers giving the odds and forms every morning and afternoon?

They might not be visible but they do exist, some even have shopfronts.

Any further discussion is probably against this forum's rules though.

Even the bookies from the UK like Ladbrokes and such even bought ads space in the Thai Football papers, they even have call centres in the UK staffed with Thai students ready to answer punter's calls

• Like 1

Bookmakers?

Why do you think people watch so much Football? Why are there multiple newspapers giving the odds and forms every morning and afternoon?

They might not be visible but they do exist, some even have shopfronts.

Any further discussion is probably against this forum's rules though.

Even the bookies from the UK like Ladbrokes and such even bought ads space in the Thai Football papers, they even have call centres in the UK staffed with Thai students ready to answer punter's calls

If this doesn't get the thread shut down........

I popped in to the Sophon Broadband shop on Pattaya Tai which is listed

as a CTH distributer on their website.

They told me that they no longer deal with CTH anymore and i would have to call

the CTH office in Bangkok for any information as they no longer have anything to do with CTH.

Make your own conclusions.

the CTH office in Bangkok for any information as they no longer have anything to do with CTH.

My conclusion is that you are wetting your knickers for no reason.

There is a CTH place on Pattaya Tai, called 'IT Care' opposite the LK Hotel, tel 0852460007

They are arranging all the new CTH customers installs, boxes arrive 10th July, I have paid a Bt1,000 deposit.

Get yourself down there.

very useful thread and one to be followed, shame the FA do not get a bit more involved in how the rights are used especially in poorer countries where this may well deprive poorer people from seeing the games, but then again since when has the FA cared about anything but money money money.

It's nothing to do with the FA, it's the Premier League. But I agree that they should do more to check who they're selling their rights to, rather than just take the highest bid.

What may deprive poorer people from seeing games ?facepalm.gif

My conclusion is that you are wetting your knickers for no reason.

There is a CTH place on Pattaya Tai, called 'IT Care' opposite the LK Hotel, tel 0852460007

They are arranging all the new CTH customers installs, boxes arrive 10th July, I have paid a Bt1,000 deposit.

Get yourself down there.

Ok H/H,

i'll give the IT Care a try 2morrow, thanks for that.