Everyone's a Hacker.

Forethat

Do you take offense being called a "hacker"?  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ever noticed how certain people get offended when you use the term "hackers" in a situation where they can refer to themselves? What is it that makes this term so inflammatory with certain individuals?

Edited by Forethat

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a friend who never practices or warms up. He'll rather sit at the range and watch me hit balls instead of getting a tray of balls and loosening up a bit. He'll then go and shoot over a hundred and get in a foul mood, saying he's giving up the game for good this time.

This is what I would qualify as a hacker.

But the question is why anyone would be offended by a term that in their minds describe someone who cant hit a golf ball when they in fact cant hit a golf ball. The term is used all over the world and I have NEVER met a person who doesn't think of himself as a hacker.

And then there's the occasional individual on TV that'll blow up like a grenade if you as much as THINK of the term. It's seriously interesting this.

I ask again: why is it that certain people react so strongly about being called a hacker when the word isn't even used in derogatory manner anywhere in the world?

But the question is why anyone would be offended by a term that in their minds describe someone who cant hit a golf ball when they in fact cant hit a golf ball. The term is used all over the world and I have NEVER met a person who doesn't think of himself as a hacker.

And then there's the occasional individual on TV that'll blow up like a grenade if you as much as THINK of the term. It's seriously interesting this.

I ask again: why is it that certain people react so strongly about being called a hacker when the word isn't even used in derogatory manner anywhere in the world?

Is boredom a problem for you?

If you feel that this is a question you'd want to debate I suggest you start a topic for this. In THIS topic we discuss whether or not golf players are offended when they are called "hackers".

If you dont have any intentions participating in this debate I suggest you simply refrain from reading or posting.

I am sure you are able to respect this.

Thank You.

If you feel that this is a question you'd want to debate I suggest you start a topic for this. In THIS topic we discuss whether or not golf players are offended when they are called "hackers".

If you dont have any intentions participating in this debate I suggest you simply refrain from reading or posting.

I am sure you are able to respect this.

Thank You.

The word hacker is offensive to some just like other words are also offensive!! The question here should be, why would someone continually use a word they know to be offensive to some?

• Like 1

No one should be offended by the use of a single word but the fact is they are, the op is the only person on this forum to continually use the word hacker, he does this knowing full well that some people take exception to it, I am not one of them!! Before people can honestly reply to the op's question he needs to answer a more important question, there have been posters on here that have expressed there dislike of this word for whatever reason, so why does the op continually use the term hacker, so again the question is, why does the op continually use the term hacker?

• Like 1

This poll should include the questions, should the derogatory term hacker ever be used to describe a golfer of any ability!

Even though you have no objection to the term hacker used in the right context, does it annoy you that this term is used by some to describe a golfer!

Would you prefer the term hacker to be replaced by a less derogatory term!

This poll should include the questions, should the derogatory term hacker ever be used to describe a golfer of any ability! Even though you have no objection to the term hacker used in the right context, does it annoy you that this term is used by some to describe a golfer! Would you prefer the term hacker to be replaced by a less derogatory term!

Duffers?

Actually, the term duffer is not that bad after all.

duff·er (dubreve.giffprime.gifschwa.gifr)

n.
1. Informal
a. An incompetent or dull-witted person

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/duffer

Personally, I'd refrain from using that term but If you're serious in your request for a new nickname I can call you duffer from now on...?

Edited by Forethat

So far, not one single poster has indicated that they are offended by the term "hacker".

I'm not surprised. Most golfers have self-distance enough to manage this...

Almost every single one.

To make it a matter of record, I am personally offended by the use of the term "hacker". I have never used the term when talking of other golfer's games.

I have found it primarily used when better golfers are talking down to other less capable golfers in an attempt to show their superiority at the game. It seem to inflate the egos of those using the term.

This subject brings up another question. How do you think Thai "bar girls" would react to being called "whores" to their faces?

So far, not one single poster has indicated that they are offended by the term "hacker".

Almost every single one.

This subject brings up another question. How do you think Thai "bar girls" would react to being called "whores" to their faces?

I for one can't understand why you are even allowed to make this type of comments. There is no relevancy what so ever.

I'm sure you'll respect my request that you try to keep this discussion on a reasonably serious level and refrain from making childish comments like this.

If you want to you can raise this type of question in another forum, but here we are talking about golf and specifically the term "hacker".

Thanks

I have tried to play golf for the best part of the past 20 years... hacking away with my hacker mates.

I admit I'm a hacker, and not at all offended by the term.

My hacker mates are not offended either... we wear the hacker badge with pride... but no matter how bad or good we are, we all love the game.

• Like 1

Almost every single one.

To make it a matter of record, I am personally offended by the use of the term "hacker". I have never used the term when talking of other golfer's games.

I have found it primarily used when better golfers are talking down to other less capable golfers in an attempt to show their superiority at the game. It seem to inflate the egos of those using the term.

Hi mate you are not alone in disliking a word that is a direct insult to other golfers, as you can see by his reply to you he is simply baiting you into a further reply, it is quite obvious he is on here to cause as much trouble as possible, I would recommend not having any further communication with this individual! I am not sure if you read his reply to me before it was deleted, it was a hate filled response to a reasonable question, I get the feeling if you reply to him you to will receive such a reply!!

Almost every single one.

I have never found that.

I am beginning to suspect that some players who refuses to accept their lack of capability. I see them every day on the golf course throwing clubs, screaming and behaving like morons.

And then there's the rest of us, who regardless of playing skills accept that we will never win a Major, we will never wear a Green Jacket or raise the Claret Jug. We play for fun. Most of us are also aware of the competitive aspects of the game, but we can accept that because we have a day job and haven't been able to spend 12 hours / day practising our short game, our game suffers from occasional flaws. We are hackers.

Good thing I have never called you or anyone else a hacker, chuckd, apparently you are offended.

Noted.

Edited by Forethat

Let's not go there... please keep this discussion on-topic.

wai.gif

Almost every single one.

Hi mate you are not alone in disliking a word that is a direct insult to other golfers, as you can see by his reply to you he is simply baiting you into a further reply, it is quite obvious he is on here to cause as much trouble as possible, I would recommend not having any further communication with this individual! I am not sure if you read his reply to me before it was deleted, it was a hate filled response to a reasonable question

My reply to you was no such thing. I questioned your intentions with your request that I explain myself, and I did that in relation to your continuos habit of using derogatory words to describe other people. Here's the post again:

Nah… what a tragedy… one of the few posters on TV who continually refers to other people as “fat”, “idiots”, “stupid”, “lazy”, “ugly” and “prats” (only to mention a few), and regularly does it as if it was the coolest thing since sliced bread in what can only be seen as an apparent and morbid fascination over commenting on others in a derogatory manner, is now pointing fingers at others?

And now you blow up when I use the word “hacker” to describe a recreational golfer? Demanding that I start answering questions?

Should I include links to all the posts where you speak of other people this way? Using the search function it's not difficult to find out who's the poster who treat and speak about others with a complete lack of respect.

He who lives in a glass house shouldn't throw stones...

Almost every single one.

I for one can't understand why you are even allowed to make this type of comments. There is no relevancy what so ever.

I'm sure you'll respect my request that you try to keep this discussion on a reasonably serious level and refrain from making childish comments like this.

If you want to you can raise this type of question in another forum, but here we are talking about golf and specifically the term "hacker".

Thanks

Perhaps the reason my comment is not off topic is because of the part you intentionally omitted. Not exactly cricket, there.post-4641-1156694606.gif

From my earlier mis-quoted post:

"To make it a matter of record, I am personally offended by the use of the term "hacker". I have never used the term when talking of other golfer's games.

I have found it primarily used when better golfers are talking down to other less capable golfers in an attempt to show their superiority at the game. It seem to inflate the egos of those using the term."
Now, I'm outta "your" thread. Ta.

Almost every single one.

Thanks

Perhaps the reason my comment is not off topic is because of the part you intentionally omitted. Not exactly cricket, there.post-4641-1156694606.gif

From my earlier mis-quoted post:

"To make it a matter of record, I am personally offended by the use of the term "hacker". I have never used the term when talking of other golfer's games.

I have found it primarily used when better golfers are talking down to other less capable golfers in an attempt to show their superiority at the game. It seem to inflate the egos of those using the term."
Now, I'm outta "your" thread. Ta.

Intentionally omitted?

Perhaps, next time read the posts before making unnecessary comments. I'll put this down as another one of your honest mistakes.

Here's a link to my reply to the "intentionally omitted" bit.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/649423-everyones-a-hacker/?p=6554994

I have to admit to using derogatory terms whilst posting within my thread regarding caddies in this country, it was uncalled for considering the majority of these people are trying to do a difficult job, I hate the fact I am forced to have a caddie and took it out on these people using comments which were tottaly uncalled for, even though these people will never see my thread I always learn by my mistakes and will make sure I dont lower my morals into the gutter again, lets hope other people follow my lead!!! in fact I hate being forced to have a caddie so much I have given the game up, but looking forward to my next game at Black mountain which did not have any of the problems related to Phuket!!!!

Edited by dogpoo