Num Joum Interesection 1001 and 121 roads... road works how long will it last...

fredjones

Hi ... almost lost the plot this morning taking my son to school from Mae Jo direction.. Took 40 mins to get through theroad works at Noum Joum intersection.. usually takes 3 mins if you miss the lights.... Its being going for a month now.. and there was nothing wrong with the road in the first place... Does any one know how much longer we are going to be inflicted with these unnecessary road works??? Seemed like someone at the Highways dep't had some budget left over and needed to spend it on a useless project... Hope it doesn't turn into another chiang dao bypass mess... Cheers... ..

I experience it twice each day. It's driving me nuts as well. I think my dog would manage this project better than these people.

The alternative for me is a big detour through Mae Rim or Maejo/San Sai and then head into town.

Saw that last night in the rain.

Pretty amazing & dangerous especially for motorbikes.

I wondered why they did not do one side of the highway at a time & use the otherside

for two way traffic temporarily

I don't see that they're building an underpass now but judging by some of the clearing that has been started on the north side of the intersection, I get the impression that they may be making the Highway 121 portion of the intersection four lane. We'll see...

Some reports say that they will build an under pass there ? Now they make the road strong with a solid 30 cm thick concrete surface .

Ahhh that explains that deep center section cut.

I wondered about that as it couldn't just be a resurface with that kind of thickness.

A small pickup lost his front wheel off that small cliff last night.

Looked like he tore up his front end doing so.

Also knocked out the electric lights they had set up there.

Saw workers twisting wires together in the rain tying to get them back on

• 1 month later...

Update: Road works are now finished and the traffic light once again operational as of today. The traffic has been light along both roads as motorists have been avoiding passing thru this junction. Pleasant for now, reminds me of traffic on 1001 about ten years ago. It won't last... wink.png

Update: Road works are now finished and the traffic light once again operational as of today. The traffic has been light along both roads as motorists have been avoiding passing thru this junction. Pleasant for now, reminds me of traffic on 1001 about ten years ago. It won't last... wink.png

Thanks for the update. Good news. As I have been totally avoiding the intersection, especially with the rain, I had no idea of the progress. clap2.gif

yesterday as I approached heading towards the city at 6.45am there was a long line of traffic which ended nearly at L&H. I thought "sh@t". However, it wasn't a queue to the lights; it was a queue to a road accident just a few hundred meters ahead. 3 or 4 cars and a motorbike. Motorbike rider laying dead under a sheet. The drivers of the cars walking around unharmed. I don't think I'll ever return to riding a motorbike. I've seen too many dead motorbike riders now.

yesterday as I approached heading towards the city at 6.45am there was a long line of traffic which ended nearly at L&H. I thought "sh@t". However, it wasn't a queue to the lights; it was a queue to a road accident just a few hundred meters ahead. 3 or 4 cars and a motorbike. Motorbike rider laying dead under a sheet. The drivers of the cars walking around unharmed. I don't think I'll ever return to riding a motorbike. I've seen too many dead motorbike riders now.

+1

Seen 3 dead motorcycle riders in the last 2 weeks, including one horrific accident on the Super Highway across from Lanna Hospital about 10 days ago where the rider and the m/c were in thousands of pieces. The police were holding cloths over their faces to stop from vomiting. None of us at my house could sleep that night as it was so disturbing.

Would never ride again either.

Edited by elektrified

Just pasted the 1001/121 intersection and they are breaking a bit of the drip again, down to one lane for a bit going north right before intersection. On the way there someone stopped in the fast lane right across from the new Lotus, perhaps taking a little look see and caused a rear end collision behind him but he just went on his merry way