Tools on plane? carry on

KRS1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TSA rules (though they will vary by country)- its not properly aligned by copy-and-paste, but you get the idea;).

Make sure you check your cattle prod.

Tools

Item Carry-on? Checked?

Axes and Hatchets NO OK

Cattle Prods NO OK

Crowbars NO OK

Hammers NO OK

Drills and drill bits (including cordless portable power drills) NO OK

Saws (including cordless portable power saws) NO OK

Tools (greater than seven inches in length) NO OK

Tools (seven inches or less in length) unless otherwise prohibited OK OK

Screwdrivers (seven inches or less in length) OK OK

Wrenches and Pliers (seven inches or less in length) OK OK

NOTE: Any sharp objects in checked baggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and Security Officers.

Edited by RubberSideDown

I just want to take my 1/4 socket set back, love this set it has everything i need....and cant find another set like it in the US.

any idea about hemostats? Or would they think id try and stab somebody with them?

Edited by KRS1

I'd put it in checked baggage, you could try asking the check-in staff if it's allowable but most Asian airports are still using the 'no sharp anythings' rules sad.png

Thats a no go sir, im flying stand by so no checked baggage for me.

I suspect that the clamps won't pass muster, sharp and look too much like scissors.

i dont suppose i could point out to them, that i could also stab someone with a screwdriver eh?

BTW I got this set at Homepro, same quality as Craftsmen. Bought it 10 years ago for 1200 baht, last week was at Homepro and they are now 2490 baht !

Edited by KRS1

Screwdrivers are a NO NO

even small with interchangeable bits, like those you would use on electronic, had a good set with me when traveling from Canada a few months back (I almost never have anything check in - travel light). They mauled over it when I went through security and after some consideration let me take the set, only to be confiscated in Hong-Kong before my connecting flight to BKK.

As I think about it now, the same folks in HKG ALWAYS open my shower bag and look at my nail clippers but ALWAYS put it back and let me go.

Nothing like that ever happened when flying trough Tokyo so that might be a better option for you. Your socket set doesn't loot threatening but those scissors like tools may not pass. Good luck.

Screwdrivers are a NO NO

even small with interchangeable bits, like those you would use on electronic, had a good set with me when traveling from Canada a few months back (I almost never have anything check in - travel light). They mauled over it when I went through security and after some consideration let me take the set, only to be confiscated in Hong-Kong before my connecting flight to BKK.

As I think about it now, the same folks in HKG ALWAYS open my shower bag and look at my nail clippers but ALWAYS put it back and let me go.

Nothing like that ever happened when flying trough Tokyo so that might be a better option for you. Your socket set doesn't loot threatening but those scissors like tools may not pass. Good luck.

So your saying my toolset wont pass right, because of the interchangeable heads?

so sharp isnt just classified as a sharp edge then, but also pointy.

I'll keep the hemostats on the outside so they can seize them if they want, would have to throw them away anyhow.

As some have said Airports do vary, but coming here from Heathrow I was stopped going through security and they confiscated my socket set same as yours, some small combo spanners and my gas soldering iron ( empty ). Now when i travel in the region with some tools I always wrap them well and put in checked baggage.

Thanks, im not going to take the chance anymore...funny thing is i have a mini torch also.

The tool set and a few other things will be up for sale in the classified section as a package.

I suspect that the clamps won't pass muster, sharp and look too much like scissors.

i dont suppose i could point out to them, that i could also stab someone with a screwdriver eh?

BTW I got this set at Homepro, same quality as Craftsmen. Bought it 10 years ago for 1200 baht, last week was at Homepro and they are now 2490 baht !

I would take my 2500 baht and get craftsman

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00935154000P?vName=Tools&cName=Mechanics&AutoTools&sName=Mechanics%20Tool%20Setsmv=rr

think it will pass? Do the hemostats look threatening?

photo0000.jpg

geez mate, you say you love this set.!? Looks like you left it in the rain for a couple of weeks.

Your obviously not a tool guy!

• Like 2

photo0000.jpg

geez mate, you say you love this set.!? Looks like you left it in the rain for a couple of weeks.

Its 10 years old...and untouched for 3 years, left it in BKK when moved to CNX.

photo0000.jpg

Your obviously not a tool guy!

You should see my chest back in the states !

I would take my 2500 baht and get craftsman

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00935154000P?vName=Tools&cName=Mechanics&AutoTools&sName=Mechanics%20Tool%20Setsmv=rr

If i was in the US I would too !...But...we're in Thailand. sad.png

This kit is good for on the road, you cant stick that Craftsman set in your gear bag, and Ive never been able to find another mini set like this that has everything it has.

You guys made me feel insecure about my tools so i took another pic...lol

The first pic had the light from my peach curtains and 5 o clock sunlight on them. (plus i oiled off the surface rust whistling.gif )

photo0004.jpg

• Like 1

The first pic had the light from my peach curtains and 5 o clock sunlight on them. (plus i oiled off the surface rust :whistling: )

photo0004.jpg

This pic isnt much better :( give photoshop a try :-)

• Like 1

The first pic had the light from my peach curtains and 5 o clock sunlight on them. (plus i oiled off the surface rust whistling.gif )

photo0004.jpg

This pic isnt much better sad.png give photoshop a try :-)

You can't polish a turd.

This set rules !...I challenge someone to find another set that has everything this set has...in the same package size. thumbsup.gif

Sounds like advertisement now that you want to sell it in the "Bikes for sales" ;)

But i agree, its a nice set :)