Teaching Thais A Scottish Dance

I managed to escape all this,,,

Glad I never mentioned to Blether or Mercedes Girl that my mum was Scottish Country Dancer for many years (danced at 8 Edinburgh Military Tattoos) and I got dragged along to a lot of ceilidhs

;)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://youtu.be/slFoYLpcB4U

Pure brilliant music . I had the pleasure of hearing them in HK in 2005 , my son was a month old ,and we passed him to friendly woman and she kept him for the night . My wife and I walked to the city hall and saw these playing . At the break the HK Police Pipe Band came from the back and I wasn't the only man standing with tears in his eyes . Thank you Whistle Binkies .

Edited by onionluke
  • Like 2

Here is another rendition of The Gael (last of the mohicans) accompanied by Irish dancers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuLiKz39ZOM

And here is The Gael again, played by Uilleann pipes (Irish bag Pipes) Now the history of how Uilleann pipes came about is another story, probably best left off of this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B3Y15S8Jw0

• Like 1

Glad I never mentioned to Blether or Mercedes Girl that my mum was Scottish Country Dancer for many years (danced at 8 Edinburgh Military Tattoos) and I got dragged along to a lot of ceilidhs

wink.png

Get back up here Dr Strange!!

wink.png

Get back up here Dr Strange!!

Not wanting to cramp your 'style'

• Like 1

Don't get me started on Irish history sad.png

I'm the same.

OK, looks like I 'm about to be banned...................

Just like all those small Thai villages like Ban Mae Su, Ban Huai Yap and Ban Sop Mai?

Don't get me started on Irish history sad.png

I'm the same.

OK, looks like I 'm about to be banned...................

You mean suspended? I wouldn't be surprised, most moderators are OK, but you still have to walk on eggshells at times.

One of the ladies that goes to this class, who is well into her 70's, runs a free dancing class in Hang Dong just outside Chiang Mai. When I'm in my 70's, I hope I'm as fit and as mobile as her. wai.gif

You're not even as fit as her in yer 40's!!

;)

One of the ladies that goes to this class, who is well into her 70's, runs a free dancing class in Hang Dong just outside Chiang Mai. When I'm in my 70's, I hope I'm as fit and as mobile as her. wai.gif

wink.png

The cheek, may I refer you to your performance at the Sunday Market? coffee1.gif

wink.png

The cheek, may I refer you to your performance at the Sunday Market? coffee1.gif

Can't bring an ulcer into it. Not had a twinge since started those tablets though :)

Give my love to MG tonight ;)

• Like 1

During the 2nd world war the Germany's soon realized the Scots had a Achilles heel when the captured Scottish soldiers and wanted any info from them they nailed there feet to the floor and played a Jimmy Shand record the Scots caved in right away.

Serious stuff.

Okay.....so off I went with Mercedes Girl to the dinner dance, knowing that there would be a Scottish dance involved......what I didn't expect was this......

1043983_556421607729499_1195333412_n.jpg

A Scott Fancy Night? blink.png Anyway I got the gist of it laugh.png Everyone had to turn up wearing something tartan as it was a dance " in my honour ". Here's some of the assembled company.......

1012186_556421604396166_823407249_n.jpg

I thought it was great that everyone put the effort in to wear some type of check or tartan, here's a bit of dancing......

1011162_556421797729480_106086962_n.jpg

They had me up singing too, The Last Waltz!! but your not getting that photo......

Oh, and the Scottish dancing bit was some laugh, I've got a video of it but I'm in it, so I'll need to edit it down a wee bit. So there you go, dinner dances in honour of theblether, what will they think of next biggrin.png

I have the photo of the blether singing.

The auction opens now...

(bids will be accepted from Blether himself to prevent publication)

(pic already downloaded and waiting for bids)

:)

10 baht crazy.gif

Check this out............

Great - not a new idea though. Back in the mid 80's, my mate Angus in Edinburgh was known as the 'punk piper'. When most of Princes St looked like a cover of a shortbread tin, he made much more than any other busking piper just because he was different. About half the money he made was from photos with tourists. Over the summer (and esp at festival time) he could make around £400 a week (and remember; this was around 84) :)

I'll see your punk piper and raise you this ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTniWCh0nwo

• Like 1

http://youtu.be/slFoYLpcB4U

Pure brilliant music . I had the pleasure of hearing them in HK in 2005 , my son was a month old ,and we passed him to friendly woman and she kept him for the night . My wife and I walked to the city hall and saw these playing . At the break the HK Police Pipe Band came from the back and I wasn't the only man standing with tears in his eyes . Thank you Whistle Binkies .

My first taste of the fabulous Orient was the Ambulance Corps pipe band practising in the North Point logistics depot yard...

SC

Okay.....so off I went with Mercedes Girl to the dinner dance, knowing that there would be a Scottish dance involved......what I didn't expect was this......

1043983_556421607729499_1195333412_n.jpg

A Scott Fancy Night? :blink: Anyway I got the gist of it :lol: Everyone had to turn up wearing something tartan as it was a dance " in my honour ". Here's some of the assembled company.......

1012186_556421604396166_823407249_n.jpg

I thought it was great that everyone put the effort in to wear some type of check or tartan, here's a bit of dancing......

1011162_556421797729480_106086962_n.jpg

They had me up singing too, The Last Waltz!! but your not getting that photo......

Oh, and the Scottish dancing bit was some laugh, I've got a video of it but I'm in it, so I'll need to edit it down a wee bit. So there you go, dinner dances in honour of theblether, what will they think of next :D

I have never seen Thais look so happy. Well done theblether.