Teaching Thais A Scottish Dance

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://youtu.be/RmFf2OfiGxM

I am bored with branding

Ah but it's such a strong brand sir. wai.gif

When you see these guys live in Glasgow it fairly gets you going.......

Last of The Mohicans......

These guys were actually banned from playing in th Royal Mile(High Street) during the Edinburgh International Festival

Meanwhile a high energy Loud Brazilian and African dance/Music group were allowed to perform

Just saying like

10 baht crazy.gif

Check this out............

Great - not a new idea though. Back in the mid 80's, my mate Angus in Edinburgh was known as the 'punk piper'. When most of Princes St looked like a cover of a shortbread tin, he made much more than any other busking piper just because he was different. About half the money he made was from photos with tourists. Over the summer (and esp at festival time) he could make around £400 a week (and remember; this was around 84) smile.png

I'll see your punk piper and raise you this wink.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTniWCh0nwo

Yip angus actually could play the bagpipes..Frecking every bag piper and their dog used to practise beside me during the festival

AWFUL

Angus the punk piper could belt oot a tune or 3

10 baht crazy.gif

Great - not a new idea though. Back in the mid 80's, my mate Angus in Edinburgh was known as the 'punk piper'. When most of Princes St looked like a cover of a shortbread tin, he made much more than any other busking piper just because he was different. About half the money he made was from photos with tourists. Over the summer (and esp at festival time) he could make around £400 a week (and remember; this was around 84) smile.png

I'll see your punk piper and raise you this wink.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTniWCh0nwo

Yip angus actually could play the bagpipes..Frecking every bag piper and their dog used to practise beside me during the festival

AWFUL

Angus the punk piper could belt oot a tune or 3

jebus - small world

far too many shortbread tin pipers

amazing live fusion band of Scottish sounds with modern beats and inventors of the genre 'acid croft'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_TdfGa8ALQ

And again amazing live;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MawaHGXMRoo

Peatbog faeries briliant seen them live a few times

I remember i was in a pub in Edinburgh and htis old woman about 80 was beating on the Scottish drum the Bodhran

Amazing in its self

a guy then started playing the full set of the pipes young guy

He was the piper in the Faeries

Brilliant got the blood going for sure

• Like 1

Moving this thread to Pub, as this is not a General topic which is Thailand related - this is an entertainment & banter topic.

There's also very little about the preceding posts (most of the posts) that are Thailand related - just a heads up.

10 baht crazy.gif

That looks like he is in Freemantle WA?

Fremantle (one 'e') - yes it is.

That is just between Jus Burgers and the Sail and Anchor pub, in the alley where the Freo Markets are..

Seen that guy often.

Never seen him in Thailand though.

• Like 1

10 baht crazy.gif

That is just between Jus Burgers and the Sail and Anchor pub, in the alley where the Freo Markets are..

Seen that guy often.

I found out he comes from Fremantle i have had many a redback in the Sail and Anchor but last time i was there i was disappointed to discover they dont sell it anymore .

• Like 1

10 baht crazy.gif

Seen that guy often.

I found out he comes from Fremantle i have had many a redback in the Sail and Anchor but last time i was there i was disappointed to discover they dont sell it anymore .

Redback - that was an awesome beer (wheat beer from memory). Was a huge fan of it when I was younger. Also Dogbolter.

Had many good nights in the Sail and Anchor while living in Freo. Staggering distance to get home too which was a plus.

Entirely possible we enjoyed a drink together Jocko in the Sail and Anchor some time in the past (although we didn't know it at the time!)

I had visa to go and live in Australia i loved Freo bought the house the Ute but somehow Thailand got in the way so i never settled there i was working offshore at the time on a world wide basis so never even worked on OZ but my daughter lives there so go at xmas to see her and the Grandkids and always pop in to Sail and Anchor to try out there latest brew.

• Like 1

I like the sound of bagpipes.

This thread motivated me to look up the cost for one.

I found this:

"The price of a decent set of bagpipes will cost between $950 and $1600 (US) for a basic set. The lower end of this range may not be made of african blackwood, may have no projecting mounts and may not be combed or beaded. The upper end of this range will be made of african blackwood, will have these features and will have nickel plated tubing over the "slides".

More ornate sets may cost up to several thousand dollars. The average price for a set of pipes with imitation ivory projecting mounts and and engraved hallmarked sterling silver is about $5500. The cost with real ivory is closer to $7500."

Blether, video of the dancing?

I'll need to edit it, anyone know of a decent video editor package online? 

i only know the moviemaker programme on my pc. Just windows moviemaker think it's called. Easy to use. Anyhow I'd really like to see Thais doing a Scottish jig. Wonderful they're willing to give it a go and even bringing out some tartan shows respect. So cool. Tom yum haggis however...
  • Like 1

I like the sound of bagpipes.

This thread motivated me to look up the cost for one.      

I found this:

"The price of a decent set of bagpipes will cost between $950 and $1600 (US) for a basic set.   The lower end of this range may not be made of african blackwood, may have no projecting mounts and may not be combed or beaded.  The upper end of this range will be made of african blackwood, will have these features and will have nickel plated tubing over the "slides". 

More ornate sets may cost up to several thousand dollars. The average price for a set of pipes with imitation ivory projecting mounts and and engraved hallmarked sterling silver is about $5500.  The cost with real ivory is closer to $7500."

Any decent musical instruments aren't dirt cheap. A decent set of McCallum pipes is around 1500. Then there's highland, lowland and a few other types. There's some great electric pipes on the market now around 1500 I think, same as used by Red Hot Chilli Peppers. If you want to have a go then a practice chanter is a good buy for under 50bucks. McCallum website.This way you can learn the reels before you add the drones and find what your neighbors patience is like..:lol: