MBK symbol for a Monk looks like someone in a straight jack!

rockyysdt

Traveling on the MBK Skytrain I noticed a sign advertising the requirement for passengers to make their seat available to a Monk.

Having poor eyesight I had to look twice to work out what the sign was about.

Perhaps unflattering design/artwork as the portrayed Monk looks like he's either in a straight jacket or looks like a seated mummy (Egyptian). smile.png

Maybe a figure in the lotus position would look better.

Whilst on the subject what are others thoughts on giving up seats for Monks?

post-55028-0-66739200-1372327307_thumb.j

Edited by rockyysdt

I think the stylized pic is supposed to represent a monk with robes tightly wrapped around him, to avoid touching women.

I don't recall ever seeing a monk sitting down on the BTS or MRT. Usually, they make straight for the little alcove behind the driver where they can keep out of everyone's way.

I think the main reason for providing seats for monks on buses and trains is to make it easier for them not to brush against women and vice versa.

• Like 2

I think the stylized pic is supposed to represent a monk with robes tightly wrapped around him, to avoid touching women.

I don't recall ever seeing a monk sitting down on the BTS or MRT. Usually, they make straight for the little alcove behind the driver where they can keep out of everyone's way.

I think the main reason for providing seats for monks on buses and trains is to make it easier for them not to brush against women and vice versa.

That's exactly right Camerata.. you beat me too it. Monks are not allowed to touch women or be touched by them. That's why you see special signs and seating for monks on buses, sky trains and subway's. A lot of people object, thinking it's special treatment. But most monks I see will gladly give up their "special" seat for an elderly lady and stand next to the door or behind the driver.

That's exactly right Camerata.. you beat me too it. Monks are not allowed to touch women or be touched by them. That's why you see special signs and seating for monks on buses, sky trains and subway's. A lot of people object, thinking it's special treatment. But most monks I see will gladly give up their "special" seat for an elderly lady and stand next to the door or behind the driver.

But a monk does not give his seat up for a nun. I've seen many times on Bkks buses.

Hope its not a requirement and just a suggestion to give up the seat. It would be unfair to non-buddhists.

Personally i would only give up my seat to a monk is he was old or pregnant..... (or carrying loads of shopping bags from MBK)

Edited by NormanChomsky

Reading your post, I realised I've never seen a monk on the BTS.

Ofcourse I would offer my seat old or sick people in general, if they are a monk or not. But why a healthy young monk needs to sit ? Yes Thais do respect monks a lot and for most it's just normal to stand up. Just when it becomes not just respect but zealotic behaviour it's not normal. Monks are people.

Edited by rubberduck

Hope its not a requirement and just a suggestion to give up the seat. It would be unfair to non-buddhists.

Personally i would only give up my seat to a monk is he was old or pregnant..... (or carrying loads of shopping bags from MBK)

By this logic, though, seats for the disabled would be unfair to the able-bodied, seats for pregnant women would be unfair to the non-pregnant, etc. The idea behind "reserved" seats is that they are a consideration for people carrying a burden that the rest of us don't. In the case of monks, the burden is they are not allowed to touch a woman, even on a crowded train. Thais are happy to give up their seat for monks. No one is twisting their arm.

Ofcourse I would offer my seat old or sick people in general, if they are a monk or not. But why a healthy young monk needs to sit ? Yes Thais do respect monks a lot and for most it's just normal to stand up. Just when it becomes not just respect but zealotic behaviour it's not normal. Monks are people.

Hey rubber duck.

If you read one of the responses you missed, it was explained why sits are given up.

Monks are not allowed to brush up or touch females.

Seated in the dedicated seat this incidence is reduced.