where do you keep your thai pictures?

Cheapcharly

sometimes I see something and wish I had my camera. Yesterday examples. 6 Thai blokes ploughing a field. Farmer sitting in a field with 2 buffaloes. I framed the shots but had no camera.

When I decided to plonk myself in Thailand, I had my hundreds of paper photographs shipped over with me.

Had all my loose photos and albums stored under my bed in large plastic box containers.

Many years later decided to check on my photos, DISARTER. The hot humid temperatures had taken their toll; many of my photos became faded or turned purple. Then I decided to scan them all and transfer the photos onto my hard drive. Fortunately I am very skilled at digitally enhancing and restoring photos and managed to restore most of them to their formal glory using photo-editing software. That was some years ago and still not completed the task yet.

All the photos I have placed on my hard drive so far, about 7GB worth; I keep on my computer hard drive, back up using an external hard drive and on memory sticks and upload to a special storage website. I advise not to rely solely on CDs, DVDs and external hard drives alone for back ups. A friend recently lost many photos and other stuff when his 14-month-old 1TB external hard drive decided not to function anymore and CDs/DVDs are totally unreliable; many just stop working after a year or two.

I also don`t advise uploading your photos onto one of these social networking or photo sharing and storage sites, if you are concerned about security.

This is what I do:

I always keep my photos in bitmap format, rather than lose quality by converting them to jpegs. Compare a bmp and a jpeg and you will notice a vast difference in quality. Many of these photo sharing sites will not permit uploads of bitmap images and graphics, so I then place my photos of certain categories into folders and compress the folders using winRAR. Then I upload the winRAR files onto a winRAR storage site and forget them. There are many free winRAR file storage sites out there and to be safe, you could upload your photos onto 2 or 3 sites just to be on the safe side. Of course I still have all my photos on my computer hard drive and on other software as mentioned above, so I can’t go wrong.

• Like 1

I keep them on my Facebook and back them up with Google + . I've starred a blog type page on Facebook too for theblether and I'm in the process of populating that page with photos and trip reports.

Before anyone starts moaning my personal Facebook gets over-run at times in matters connected to my company so the ideal solution was starting a separate page for my travel reports only. I've got a fair few friends that are interested in my travels but not so interested in this weeks special offer flooring. It's taking ages though to duplicate everything, so it won't be fully populated for at least a couple of weeks. sad.png

You need to combine both by draping some Thai lovelies over your flooring....that'll be £2k marketing advice as it did take me 2 secs to think about it, this could also be written off as a business expense inc 1st class return tickets for said ladies??thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

When I decided to plonk myself in Thailand, I had my hundreds of paper photographs shipped over with me.

Had all my loose photos and albums stored under my bed in large plastic box containers.

Many years later decided to check on my photos, DISARTER. The hot humid temperatures had taken their toll; many of my photos became faded or turned purple. Then I decided to scan them all and transfer the photos onto my hard drive. Fortunately I am very skilled at digitally enhancing and restoring photos and managed to restore most of them to their formal glory using photo-editing software. That was some years ago and still not completed the task yet.

All the photos I have placed on my hard drive so far, about 7GB worth; I keep on my computer hard drive, back up using an external hard drive and on memory sticks and upload to a special storage website. I advise not to rely solely on CDs, DVDs and external hard drives alone for back ups. A friend recently lost many photos and other stuff when his 14-month-old 1TB external hard drive decided not to function anymore and CDs/DVDs are totally unreliable; many just stop working after a year or two.

I also don`t advise uploading your photos onto one of these social networking or photo sharing and storage sites, if you are concerned about security.

This is what I do:

I always keep my photos in bitmap format, rather than lose quality by converting them to jpegs. Compare a bmp and a jpeg and you will notice a vast difference in quality. Many of these photo sharing sites will not permit uploads of bitmap images and graphics, so I then place my photos of certain categories into folders and compress the folders using winRAR. Then I upload the winRAR files onto a winRAR storage site and forget them. There are many free winRAR file storage sites out there and to be safe, you could upload your photos onto 2 or 3 sites just to be on the safe side. Of course I still have all my photos on my computer hard drive and on other software as mentioned above, so I can’t go wrong.

Flash drives and update them every 8-10 years or less ie copy to new flash drives or whatever becomes available

Why is space a problem?

25000 3MB JPG's(average) = 75Gig.

As mentioned above 1TB will set you back a cool B2500...

No problem..smile.png

If one shoots in RAW, a 10MP camera saves a 16 MB file per photo or 400GB for your 25K photos. Process and save as a TIF file and you can conceivably get a 50MB for one photo. All depends on what you do with your photos. Your mileage may vary.

Assuming you stay awake 12 hours a day you would only have 10 minutes for every waking hour per year to look at each of your 25,000 photos. Just saying.

Edited by Digitalbanana

I feel like I'm on a different planet after reading all the above posts.

I am just a KISS person.....keep it simple stupid.

Download to computer then backup on external drive....for me.

I have less to worry about by the looks of it.

Cheers.

That is a good advice and simple - KISS all the way..........wink.png

But, always remember that 'downloading to computer then backup' is different than downloading to computer and 'transferring' to external drive.

If you only have one copy (of anything), you don't have a backup..................thumbsup.gif

I have come across too many people who interpret 'backups' as 'cutting' from their computers/notebooks/flash drives (normally to save space) and going through the motions of transferring to external, believing they have carried out a backup. Have met a few really sad people when the external sh1ts itself.

I personally use imaging software on my computer, to external, then incremental backup for one month at which time I take a new image. Data can be retrieved from the image or any incremental at any time. The external is disconnected from the computer after backup (if left connected, and something happens to your computer it is feasible that it could wreck your hard drive (s), mainboard and any attached peripherals, ie, external drives).

The external should be kept in a different location from the computer you have backed up (in case of fires, floods, etc) but I will admit that I am guilty of not doing this all the time............rolleyes.gif

Even though technology has progressed in leaps and bounds, never, ever overlook the backups!

IMHO, naturally.