Honda LS 125r

Welcome to the club.... i had a similair failure on a TZR @ 120 km/h which resulted in a nasty fall.( i didn't pulled the clutch)

and when i recall some of kiske's posts, he had his moments to.

I remember, after that incident i also was a bit nervous to open it up again.... now i'm always driving with 2 fingers on the clutch

It's all part of driving these old 2 strokes,

About a year ago i took kiske's advice and started to use fully synthetic 2T oil and since then no more scary moments, ( it smells better to)

Most Thai mechanics tend to adjust the oilpump very rich, but when using a good quality oil just stick to the factory setting.

2 of my 2 stroke bikes ( NSR and TZM) run with the oilpump and the 2 others ( TZR and Teena) on premix. Premix is a bit of a fuss when taking fuel at a petrolstation.

I would take Kiske's advice and replace the rings ( and while doing so you're mechanic can check the piston and cylinder for damage, In a way it's a bit his fault, not adjusting the oilpump properly when performing his overhaul on you're bike). 2 pistonrings should not be that much.

Yep I would have filled my pants if that had happened to me..... as you said lucky you were on a straightway. Wouldnt have been nice going around a sharp corner. Good reaction with the clutch too!

I hope the engine isnt damaged too much and as another post said, maybe premixing will be the way to go. Either that or get the oil pump checked/overhauled.

Havent seen or found an LS 125 in CM yet and are kicking myself as a few months back a foreign tourist offered me his bike for about 5k. At the time I wasnt too interested in 2 strokes but thinking about it I think the bike on offer was an LS so I should have jumped at it.

Agree that Mad Max is an awesome movie to view rat bikes, good movie too....in the days when Mel Gibson wasnt quite so 'strange'. Still even with that I do like his acting.

I think the reason it's hard to find a LS 125 is that these bikes are popular in the Thai dragracing scene ( the Dash with the same engine even more)

A week ago i visted a local thai dragrace event, and all the 2 strokes were Honda's, those litlle bikes really are fast!! ( wheelies up the 4th gear!!) if you once can visit such a event: TAKE EARPLUGS, most of them run without a silencer!! it hurts you're ears.

Agreed on Mel, altough his acting changed over the years ( same as almost every actor) all his movies are ok.besides the MM triology i like Payback.... no more mister nice guy.

Love the smell of PTT synthetic :)

I had a Kawa 150, that had the wrong piston and rings in it from an earlier model, had 3 rings opposed to 2. Seized her up in the middle of nowhere, look left ricefields, looked right more ricefields. I would try and check if the piston and rings are indeed the ones specified for that bike.

The LS 125 has the 'D' and the 'T' model.

Thanks guys.. I don't know how I could 'check if the piston is the right one' - I mean I know thing about mechanicals and the engine is closed up now, you can't see the piston. Generally speaking the mechanic is I think unlikely to put in the wrong piston as you simply order them from the parts store for 500-600 baht.

But yeah I think most mechanics in Thailand set the fuel pump to provide a lot of two-stroke oil flow, not sure why this guy didn't. For sure it seems to me like it would be better to err on the side of too much rather than two little.

The bike seems fine now, though I've only been driving it about 90.

• 2 months later...

Claire,

Stick your finger in the exhaust. If your finger comes out oily or black it might be worth getting the pipe cleaned out. It might be coked up with gunk.

These bikes need to be ridden. Not your normal your normal Yamaha Fresh 60-70 kphwhistling.gif

Agreed. Clare, you maybe interested to know I still have my little Honda Tena, got a new Spark up for sale as it's just not as much fun as my 17 year old "Funny" Got Funny up to an indicated 120kph today, great 'fun'

Clare, you maybe interested to know I still have my little Honda Tena, got a new Spark up for sale as it's just not as much fun as my 17 year old "Funny" Got Funny up to an indicated 120kph today, great 'fun'

That's great! I still have two Tenas, fantastically reliable, durable little bikes. Over the last couple of years I sold 2-3 of my Tenas on to some other foreigners around Khon Kaen and Sarakham, and they're all still tooling around on them without any problems at all.

• 3 weeks later...