Tax Effective Set Up Help

Hello All,

My first post so be gentle with me facepalm.gif

I have a question in regard to tax effective set ups when residing in Thailand but having income from overseas. I am sure this Q has been asks many time, however, I have not read a topic that was quite the same (please feel free to correct me and send a link).

So my situation is:

• I am an Australian citizen
  • I am currently a US tax resident (have a green card) but will be leaving the US before the end of the year (2013).
  • I have US investment property income that will continue once I leave the US.
  • I have Australian investment property income.
  • I am ready to put my feet up in Thailand, however, my Thai wife and I got offered some consultancy work by an Australian company. I can do this work remotely from Thailand (with visits to Australia or can do it in Australia, my wife is in the same position.
  • I live in Texas so there is no state tax and federal income tax is low compared to Australia, so on approximately $300k pa we pay about 23% tax

My Questions

• Should I maintain my US tax residence status (I believe I can on a green card) and pay US tax on Australian income?
  • Should I become an Australian tax resident or a Thai tax resident?
  • is there a smarter (tax effective) way to set this up?
  • does my above tax rate for the US still apply if I am living overseas but maintaining my US tax residency
  • can I avoid becoming an Australian tax resident if I am there for less than six months within a tax year
  • Is being a Thai tax resident favourable?

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

I am Australian too. now thete was this thing recently called the G8. they decided you and me are now going to pay tax WHERE THE INCOME IS EARNED.

maybe time to set upa comoany in hong kong and have all income paid there and draw fromyour HSBC account that you will open and pay ZERO tax.

tried and tested

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

dont screw with the OZ tax department as they have set up a 800 million dollar computer system to link everything including property and air travel plus plus plus

move offshore if you can to minimise tax - not avoid it

or become a politician

my advice is get a decent tax accountant who is familar with both Aussie and US tax set ups and take their advice...you playing two tax systems that are really trying to clamp down on people.

I can do this work remotely from Thailand ....not to harp on about this but you do know legally speaking you would need a WP in Thailand to do this ?