AMA declares obesity a disease

Jingthing

Yes it's well understood a lot of this is related to finding ways for U.S. doctors to spend more time with their obese patients and get compensated for it by insurance companies, but the pro and con arguments are still interesting.

The delegates rejected the conclusion of the council and voted instead in favor of a resolution pushed by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, the American College of Cardiology and some other organizations.

This resolution argued that obesity was a “multimetabolic and hormonal disease state” that leads to unfavorable outcomes like Type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease.

“The suggestion that obesity is not a disease but rather a consequence of a chosen lifestyle exemplified by overeating and/or inactivity is equivalent to suggesting that lung cancer is not a disease because it was brought about by individual choice to smoke cigarettes,” the resolution said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/19/business/ama-recognizes-obesity-as-a-disease.html?_r=0

It's even more related to the fact that the FDA rules say that, "if it's used to treat a disease, it is a drug".

Lots of stuff that used to be a "food supplement" is now a "drug".

That puts all substances sold for the purpose of treating the "disease of obesity" firmly under FDA control and into the realm of Big Pharma.

Edited by impulse

It's even more related to the fact that the FDA rules say that, "if it's used to treat a disease, it is a drug".

Lots of stuff that used to be a "food supplement" is now a "drug".

That puts all substances sold for the purpose of treating the "disease of obesity" firmly under FDA control and into the realm of Big Pharma.

That's possible I guess. But I wouldn't jump to conclusions yet.

That's possible I guess. But I wouldn't jump to conclusions yet.

I wish I shared your optimism.

But when it comes to Big Pharma (and related insurance), Big Agra, Big Oil, Big Banks, and the Military Industrial Machine, I don't have a lot of faith that the laws being passed are intended to benefit the people as a whole.

• Like 1

Well it can be a double edged sword.

This change I think will give more incentive for drug companies to make BETTER meds for obesity.

In my view, none of what they offer now is nearly as good as what is possible.

Assuming someday they develop a much better med, under Obamacare America it will be covered for most obese Americans, and the rest of the world can just copy it/discount it as usual.

As I've made no secret about, I strongly believe for MOST obese people, something "extra" is needed for a reasonable expectation of long term success than just a health lecture.

Edited by Jingthing

I agree that obesity is a disease, although I believe it's a mental disorder. How hard is it to push the plate away when you're full? No one forces a person to eat the entire portion that is served to you instead of stopping when you are full. For me when I eat out in the US, the portions are so large, I usual eat till I'm full and take the rest home. I can get three meals out of one standard size restaurant portion.

I agree that obesity is a disease, although I believe it's a mental disorder. How hard is it to push the plate away when you're full? No one forces a person to eat the entire portion that is served to you instead of stopping when you are full. For me when I eat out in the US, the portions are so large, I usual eat till I'm full and take the rest home. I can get three meals out of one standard size restaurant portion.

The brain is part of the body. All diseases have a mental component.

BTW, it's not only the portion sizes but what's IN the food that most people have easy and cheap access to, especially in America, the fattest country.

Edited by Jingthing

Did you see that British documentary about overweight people where they discussed the way the hunger response just doesn't turn off?

Seen it its harder for the hunger response to turn of saw a similar thing and one on kids.. some kids eat too much others not. So yes it could be harder for some people then others

BTW, it's not only the portion sizes but what's IN the food that most people have easy and cheap access to, especially in America, the fattest country.

Good point JT. Most don't realize just what it is that they are eating. Counting calories is a good way to know exactly what you are putting in your body. For example, 1 egg yoke has more cholesterol than an adult is supposed to get in a full day. Most Americans blow out their max daily allowance of fat, sodium and cholesterol for breakfast and the rest of the meals for the day just pack on the pounds. Couple this with the fact that most Americans lead a sedentary lifestyle and don't burn off what they eat.

Problem is that for some people that full feeling comes much too late. I am not saying that they are not to blame themselves because they are (partly at least).

I agree with JT its also the access to food and what is in it because I don't believe for one minute that these hunger things and other things have evolved the last 60 years it takes much longer then that. Before people were not that fat so its a combination of things. So much food in huge containers.

I was always raised to drink and eat all that i got as wasting was bad. That is not a good thing with large portions and portions have become larger and larger.

Good point JT. Most don't realize just what it is that they are eating. Counting calories is a good way to know exactly what you are putting in your body. For example, 1 egg yoke has more cholesterol than an adult is supposed to get in a full day. Most Americans blow out their max daily allowance of fat, sodium and cholesterol for breakfast and the rest of the meals for the day just pack on the pounds. Couple this with the fact that most Americans lead a sedentary lifestyle and don't burn off what they eat.

I believe the cholesterol and egg myth was debunked ages ago. There is also plenty of evidence that it is good to start with a large breakfast and then taper down during the day.

The USA with fattest population and most expensive health care has the BIGGEST reason of any country to finally solve the obesity epidemic in a significant statistical way and yes, like it or not, PROFIT is part of the equation.

One trouble is there are very strong economic forces that profit massively from the causes of obesity such as the processed food industry.

Edited by Jingthing

The USA with fattest population and most expensive health care has the BIGGEST reason of any country to finally solve the obesity epidemic in a significant statistical way and yes, like it or not, PROFIT is part of the equation.

Problem is that all those "bad food" sellers are part of the problem and they making money too. I really hope they find something, a pill like sibutramine but without the side effects would be good. When I took it it really did kill my appetite and made me full faster. But not being able to sleep good was a too huge a toll for me.

Yeah I agree there are conflicting forces which is why obesity should probably become a POLITICAL issue so that the forces that profit from more obesity can be tempered. Mayor Bloomberg tries to do a little and he gets mocked for it though so that doesn't give much hope. Of course it would be great to have a massively effective medication with no serious side effects. Possible someday? I think so but nobody knows when.

Edited by Jingthing

I lived in the States for 6 months and that was one thing that stood out to me ... the enormous servings that are part of their popular Culinary Culture.

Completely different here in Thailand.

Typically, eating a Thai Diet, smaller servings and usually lighter calorie options.

Up to the consumer if they choose a higher calorie dense food.

No, it's not up to the consumer. In the USA it is MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE to eat a healthy diet (such as fresh fruits and vegetables). It is not only about portion size. While the processed crap filled with corn syrup sugar is dirt cheap. The majority of Americans can't afford the option of always eating healthy food choices. The poor are overwhelmingly over-represented in the American obese. These reductionist theories that it is all a "choice" to be fat just ignore actual realities on the ground.

Well, JT (not surprisingly) ... I disagree ... biggrin.png

One piece of cake ... two consumers ... two forks ... easy!

BTW, my comment of "Up to the consumer if they choose a higher calorie dense food." was referring to eating in Thailand, which is obvious by the post.

Unfortunately I cant see anything much changing in the way that most of the food is produced in the US and for other western countries for that matter.

It is increasingly difficult to maintain a healthy weight and even to be healthy in general given the lifestyles and type and quantity of food produced these days.

It is not all gloom and doom thou as there is a segment of the market that caters towards healthy food options and healthy diets.

But ultimately it is still going to be up to the individual to have the discipline to take control of their own health.

Unfortunately I cant see anything much changing in the way that most of the food is produced in the US and for other western countries for that matter.

It is increasingly difficult to maintain a healthy weight and even to be healthy in general given the lifestyles and type and quantity of food produced these days.

According to the wing nut conspiracy theorists (and I am one, BTW), some of the chemicals added to the food are to increase shelf life and improve flavor, and some of the chemicals are added simply to increase appetite and keep people eating more.

Perfect example is the cocaine that used to be in Coca Cola (now substituted with caffeine).

And some of the growth agents used to fatten up the livestock go right up the food chain and fatten up the folks that eat the meat from that livestock. And the pesticides that mess with the reproductive ability of the insects also affect the reproductive ability and endocrine systems of everything that consumes them.

Sadly, we'll never see the real studies by Big Agra on the effects of the chemicals, processes and genetic modifications they use to take cost out of their products.

Edited by impulse

According to the wing nut conspiracy theorists (and I am one, BTW), some of the chemicals added to the food are to increase shelf life and improve flavor, and some of the chemicals are added simply to increase appetite and keep people eating more.

Perfect example is the cocaine that used to be in Coca Cola (now substituted with caffeine).

And some of the growth agents used to fatten up the livestock go right up the food chain and fatten up the folks that eat the meat from that livestock. And the pesticides that mess with the reproductive ability of the insects also affect the reproductive ability and endocrine systems of everything that consumes them.

Sadly, we'll never see the real studies by Big Agra on the effects of the chemicals, processes and genetic modifications they use to take cost out of their products.

More profitable all around to keep us in the dark and rake in the weight loss bucks.

Edited by impulse

• 3 weeks later...

You really don't have a clue. You should watch the British documentary referenced above.

Will power cannot overcome chemistry in the long run. You may have a few wins in the short term, but in the long run the chemistry will win... every time.

Your attitude is typical of normal weight people who eat "normally".

• Like 1

whistling.gif

-----------------

Cocaine never was part of Coca Cola .... that's just an urban myth.

However, regarding high calorie and fat in food.... the large food producers have done intensive testing on exactly how much sugar and fat they can get into their products without overdoing those things.

Fat has a "comfort" taste effect .... it makes your body re-act to it's taste and "mouth feel".

Sugar triggers a reaction in your brain that provides the illusion of being "full'..

In high fat and high sugar manufactured products, they are designed to have the maximum Sugar taste response and the pleasurable "Fat feel" response from our taste buds.

That's how they sell, it's not just chance. A lot of research has gone into those products to get just the right taste for maximum sales.

Both the Fat feel reaction and the Sugar reaction probably come from evolutionary responses of the early humans.

A high Fat and Sugar diet then meant survival for the early hunter gatherers.

In those days a high Fat and high Sugar (high energy) diet meant you stayed alive until your next meal.

Today, however, we don't need that instinctive reaction any longer, we're not starving in modern society (Well not most of us anyhow).

But 50,000 years of evolutionary responses are out of date in today's society.

rolleyes.gif

Did you see that British documentary about overweight people where they discussed the way the hunger response just doesn't turn off?

If you exercise a lot, the hunger response is irrelevant.

If you sit on your arse all day eating, of course you will get fat.

How many fat marathon runners do you see around?

If you exercise a lot, the hunger response is irrelevant.

If you sit on your arse all day eating, of course you will get fat.

How many fat marathon runners do you see around?

I beg to differ, its real hard to burn of what you eat. 600 calories requires an hour of hard cardio exercise. But it is just one meal, so yes the hunger response does count for something.

I exercise around 4-5 times a week real hard for an hour, i keep it all off and look in shape but I still can't eat everything I want. Food intake is a major player in it. I saw that documentary it was really enlightening, its not an excuse but it can make it a lot harder for some individuals. I have tried stuff to curb my appetite and the stuff that works had too many side effects (sibutramine). I don't need stuff like that anymore but I do acknowledge that there is a vast difference between people and the effort that weight loss takes.

I do go out of my way to fight people who use it as an excuse not to do anything or t say they fail right from the start but I know that for some its a lot harder, my thyroid (slow) isnt doing me any favors even with medicine.

There is also a vicious cycle in play in that it is extremely hard for obese people to exercise and far more fatiguing than for people whoi are at normal weight. Since it is very hard to do, they do less of it. For the4 seriously obese even normal activity is exhausting and a strain, leading them to minimize moving around. Which makes them more obese, which makes it even harder to be active let alone exercise and so on...a real catch-22 and once it has set in, not so easy to break out of.

• Like 1