Motorist killed on Florida highway while being chased by gunman

News_Editor

TAMPA, FLORIDA (BNO NEWS) -- A motorist was shot and killed on a highway in central Florida on Saturday after an unknown gunman chased him for miles as the terrified victim called emergency dispatchers, officials said. The motive was not immediately known and no arrests were made.

The incident was first reported at around 3 p.m. local time when the Tampa Police Department (TPD) received a 911 call from a motorist who said someone was following him. He said he was on a local Tampa road but stated he would be turning onto Interstate 4, traveling toward the city of Orlando.

Because the motorist was leaving the Tampa Police Department's jurisdiction, he was transferred to Florida Highway Patrol and the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office. He then told emergency dispatchers that the vehicle following him had earlier pulled up next to his vehicle and someone displayed what appeared to be a semi-automatic weapon.

"The caller stayed on the phone with 911 operators and the dispatchers heard multiple gunshots," said Debbie Carter, a spokeswoman for the sheriff's office. Witnesses told police that the victim then pulled off the roadway near the Interstate 75 overpass, more than 5.3 miles (8.5 kilometers) from where the motorist was when he first called 911.

The victim, who was not from the area but from a county elsewhere in Florida, was pronounced dead at the scene. Carter said investigators do not know what was the motive behind the shooting and said the victim had earlier told 911 operators that he had not done anything to cause someone to follow him.

The eastbound lane of Interstate 4 was closed for hours as investigators walked the roadway looking for evidence. Police described the suspect vehicle as a gray newer model Taurus with tinted windows, but Carter said it is not yet known how many people may have been inside.

(Copyright 2013 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: [email protected].)

Poor guy. He didn't understand that the police in America now are not in the business of stopping crime. They are in the business of extracting whatever monies they can from the law abiding citizens. I don't know anyone that has been the victim of a crime, including my sister and father, that has received any justice.

What he should have done is started speeding, if only a little, which would have got the State Patrol on his ass. When he's pulled over on the side of the road being handed a ticket for $150 he can then tell his story about the guy who is stalking him. Not that that counts for anything, but at least he's got some cover behind the <deleted> statie and his vehicle.

Poor guy. He didn't understand that the police in America now are not in the business of stopping crime. They are in the business of extracting whatever monies they can from the law abiding citizens. I don't know anyone that has been the victim of a crime, including my sister and father, that has received any justice.

What he should have done is started speeding, if only a little, which would have got the State Patrol on his ass. When he's pulled over on the side of the road being handed a ticket for $150 he can then tell his story about the guy who is stalking him. Not that that counts for anything, but at least he's got some cover behind the asshol_e statie and his vehicle.

That statement about the police is bs and reveals very much about you and your thought processes. The vast majority of police officers that I have met, brother was a cop before joining FBI and I used to represent cops when hurt in the line of duty, are great guys and do a great job under very difficult circumstances.

Most of them refuse to write tickets for traffic stuff unless its blatant or they think something else is going on, drug courier.

Once again, you make wreckless and irresponsible statements about some aspect of US or those in charge of our safety. Makes me wonder if you got busted and are consumed with resentment.

US Supreme Court. "Police don't have a duty to protect citizens." Link

What he should have done is started speeding, if only a little, which would have got the State Patrol on his ass. When he's pulled over on the side of the road being handed a ticket for $150 he can then tell his story about the guy who is stalking him. Not that that counts for anything, but at least he's got some cover behind the asshol_e statie and his vehicle.

That statement about the police is bs and reveals very much about you and your thought processes. The vast majority of police officers that I have met, brother was a cop before joining FBI and I used to represent cops when hurt in the line of duty, are great guys and do a great job under very difficult circumstances.

Most of them refuse to write tickets for traffic stuff unless its blatant or they think something else is going on, drug courier.

Once again, you make wreckless and irresponsible statements about some aspect of US or those in charge of our safety. Makes me wonder if you got busted and are consumed with resentment.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. This is tort action and deals wirh complex legal and tort defenses under discretiinary function, sovereign immunity and etc. Cops jobs are to protect the public. Problem is permitting a civil suit against police every time someone is a victim of a crime would bankrupt the system. That does not mean they are not under a duty to protect in the general sense, just not in the legal sense for tort liability.

• Like 2

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. This is tort action and deals wirh complex legal and tort defenses under discretiinary function, sovereign immunity and etc. Cops jobs are to protect the public. Problem is permitting a civil suit against police every time someone is a victim of a crime would bankrupt the system. That does not mean they are not under a duty to protect in the general sense, just not in the legal sense for tort liability.

Yes it was a tort action and it is clear that the police have no duty to protect people. They may protect, but they have no duty to do it. Period.

There are differences between tort duty analysis, moral duty and job duty. You can have the last two without the first.

Cop may lose job for dereliction of duty, but still not be liable for tort due to . . . Ah never mind . . .

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 1

blink.png

blink.png

And well you might blink.png , but sadly that's what America looks like now, and to think some people are worried about what the Chinese will do to us.

http://www.businessinsider.com/student-jailed-water-mistaken-beer-2013-7

I'll see your blink.png and raise you a bah.gif .

The Ford Taurus was recovered at the suspect's residence in Orlando along with several firearms.

Read more: http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/region_tampa/sheriff-i-4-shooting-suspect-arrested-case-of-mistaken-identity#ixzz2XreTFtrU

Sooooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, ye jizz godda lurve them guns laws - stand yer ground, fella!

Primitive

<snip>

Reminds me of:

George Phillips, an elderly man, from Walled Lake, Michigan, was going up to bed, when his wife told him that he'd left the light on in the garden shed, which she could see from the bedroom window. George opened the back door to go turn off the light, but saw that there were people in the shed stealing things.

He phoned the police, who asked "Is someone in your house?"

He said "No," but some people are breaking into my garden shed and stealing from me.

Then the police dispatcher said "All patrols are busy. You should lock your doors and an officer will be along when one is available"

George said, "Okay."

He hung up the phone and counted to 30. Then he phoned the police again.

"Hello, I just called you a few seconds ago because there were people stealing things from my shed. Well, you don't have to worry about them now because I just shot and killed them both, the dogs are eating them right now." and he hung up.

Within five minutes, six Police Cars, a SWAT Team, a Helicopter, two Fire Trucks, a Paramedic, and an Ambulance showed up at the Phillips' residence, and caught the burglars red-handed.

One of the Policemen said to George, "I thought you said that you'd shot them!"

George said, "I thought you said there was nobody available!"

• Like 1

The Ford Taurus was recovered at the suspect's residence in Orlando along with several firearms.

Read more: http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/region_tampa/sheriff-i-4-shooting-suspect-arrested-case-of-mistaken-identity#ixzz2XreTFtrU

Sooooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, ye jizz godda lurve them guns laws - stand yer ground, fella!

Primitive

Your post doesn't raise it to a higher level.

Primitive

If your point is there are too many guns in America, especially amongst the criminal element than I'd have to agree with you. Frankly, I wish there was a ban on assault weapons of all kinds and all handguns too. Here's the problem though, as i mentioned in a previous post. The police in America only stalk the law abiding. They've no interest in solving, let alone, thwarting crimes. They fill out reports only and feed off the law abiding citizenry. As much as i wish there were no handguns or assault weapons, how can i tell my neighbors "don't worry the police will take care of it?", knowing it is a lie.

Yes, Chuck, your right. Those cops are pretty worthless, especially after they've already been shot.

Please don't put words in my mouth.

You demean yourself even more when you do that.

blink.png

And well you might blink.png , but sadly that's what America looks like now, and to think some people are worried about what the Chinese will do to us.

Yes, read your link and they broke an ongoing practice to have a uniform present in such situations. Many departments require it. Idiots. And there are many more such idiots, and worse, guys coming back from killing, killing, killing, in the mid-east, becoming "law enforcement officers." They are the real danger to law abiding citizens.

But as usual, the idiots and the criminal cops get the coverage. 25 years as a cop, doing the right thing, never once was there a news story about me, nor my brothers, two of whom died doing the right thing.

You probably don't like it when someone brushes Thais, or your country men with the same stroke, do you?

blink.png

Yes, read your link and they broke an ongoing practice to have a uniform present in such situations. Many departments require it. Idiots. And there are many more such idiots, and worse, guys coming back from killing, killing, killing, in the mid-east, becoming "law enforcement officers." They are the real danger to law abiding citizens.

But as usual, the idiots and the criminal cops get the coverage. 25 years as a cop, doing the right thing, never once was there a news story about me, nor my brothers, two of whom died doing the right thing.

You probably don't like it when someone brushes Thais, or your country men with the same stroke, do you?

I don't like it when any honorable person is castigated for doing the right thing. Sadly, they are getting harder to find in America. I appreciate that you did.

Primitive

Your post doesn't raise it to a higher level.

Can't lower it any further either - that was the intent . . . and it clearly had the desired effect

Primitive

If your point is there are too many guns in America, especially amongst the criminal element than I'd have to agree with you. Frankly, I wish there was a ban on assault weapons of all kinds and all handguns too. Here's the problem though, as i mentioned in a previous post. The police in America only stalk the law abiding. They've no interest in solving, let alone, thwarting crimes. They fill out reports only and feed off the law abiding citizenry. As much as i wish there were no handguns or assault weapons, how can i tell my neighbors "don't worry the police will take care of it?", knowing it is a lie.

Police "only stalk the law abiding" is crazy talk. Police won't take care if you? Police "feed off the law abiding citizenry.". Completely mental and paranoid thought process. Harkens back to Brad Pitt's line in Seven. Does a crazy person really know if they are crazy?

Police do a hard job, under difficult circumstances and the vast majority are good people and go above and beyond to help people. My run in with bad cops with bad attitudes has been maybe 1 out of a 100 cops with whom I have dealt.

You can hardly expect them to be every where all the time and if they were you would criticize that as a restraint of freedom and a repressive police state act.

Edited by F430murci

Too many guns available in USA will mean more life losses. Look at Belfast, they took the arms to the dump, now there is only 10 killings a year compared to 300 a year killed by guns in Ulster years ago. They should look at Northern Ireland as an example that the guns have no place in the public. RIP to the victim , hope they will arrest the killer and throw away the key for life.

Edited by Billy The Kid
  • Like 1

Too many guns available in USA will mean more life losses. Look at Belfast, they took the arms to the dump, now there is only 10 killings a year compared to 300 a year killed by guns in Ulster years ago. They should look at Northern Ireland as an example that the guns have no place in the public. RIP to the victim , hope they will arrest the killer and throw away the key for life.

They have. The cops that some are bashing already arrested the killer, who confessed and is being held without bond.

Those same bad cops with no duty to protect located the intended victim to let him know what happened.

• Like 1

They have. The cops that some are bashing already arrested the killer, who confessed and is being held without bond.

Those same bad cops with no duty to protect located the intended victim to let him know what happened.

Thanks for the info.. Happy to know the killer got caught, hope he rot in jail.

The killer turned himself in

The killer turned himself in.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2353241/Jerome-Edward-Hayes-confesses-Florida-road-rage-slaying-Fred-Turner-Jr-turns-case-mistaken-identity.html

Mistake identity . . . simply amazing

Guns

The killer turned himself in

The killer turned himself in.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2353241/Jerome-Edward-Hayes-confesses-Florida-road-rage-slaying-Fred-Turner-Jr-turns-case-mistaken-identity.html

Mistake identity . . . simply amazing

Guns

Presumably they arrested him when he turned himself in. Candidly, I can see the hair splitting here, but is your point (with emphasis both before and after my quote) to also bash US law enforcement for not doing there job. If so, what specifically facts support their dereliction of duty. Was there a cop in close proximity to the victim when the victim called 911 that could have responded or failed to respond?

My primary point is that the system is working down there. The guy is In custody and being held without bail. The intended victim was notified. Unfortunately, sometimes this all you can do with magic 8 ball telling you when and where crimes are going to happen before they even occur.