Uk Driving Licence !

Beachcomber

Hi :D

Ok so I have been on the beach too long and renting or owning a motorbike is no great problem but reading through some of the other posts I realize that the DVLA has issued new Photocard driving Licences. :D

Has anyone got their old paper driving license upgraded to the new Photocard one while here in the LOS?

The DVLA website has lots of useful information but no application form to download.

Any help greatly appreciated. :o:D

I have had my new EU pink DVLA photocard driving license for 7 years now so not really new any more.

Suggest get someone to send you an application form however recon that you would pro* still need need a UK/EU address to get it.. :o

I,d definitely recommend it.

It,s like a credit card and plastic. ( see the website i,ve downloaded for you for a visual )

Very usefull in I.D. situations and no chance of anyone mis using it unless they are your double.

All the relevant details on one small card and in my humble opinion brilliant.

I updated mine at the post office, with no charge as i changed my address.

I found it convenient to use this as a reason to update which had needed doing for some time.

Have a look at the following website i,ve googled for you :-

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/cont...ediaId=19800195

Hope it gives you some additional information and a possible solution.

In your case i think all you need is your existing driving licence and proof you are who it states you are.

Take a look at the international driving licence section on the page also.

marshbags :o:D:D

Do note though that the ID Card only valid if accompanied by the paper part too - stupid but true. Of course, Thai's won't know this, so can use for ID in LoS, but need both parts in the UK.

Do note though that the ID Card only valid if accompanied by the paper part too - stupid but true. Of course, Thai's won't know this, so can use for ID in LoS, but need both parts in the UK.

Amazingly, when I applied for my Thai licence last year the nice lady at the Land Transportation office in Pathum Thani actually ASKED for the 'green part' along with the photocard and my IDP. Luckily I had it in the 'assorted documents' file.

Ok so I have been on the beach too long and renting or owning a motorbike is no great problem but reading through some of the other posts I realize that the DVLA has issued new Photocard driving Licences. :D

Has anyone got their old paper driving license upgraded to the new Photocard one while here in the LOS?

The DVLA website has lots of useful information but no application form to download.

Get someone to go to a post office in blighty and post you the forms.

Fill them in and put your address in Thailand but c.o. an address in blighty.

Worked for me and some mates........ages ago.

Beach, PM Andyfletch, apparently he recently got a Thai licence with only his ancient (sellotaped together numerous times) UK paper thingy and a work permit.

No IDP, no test.

Think it was at the land transport office near Chatuchak.

Thai's won't know this,

oh yes they do , like crossy , they asked for both parts when i went for my 5 year licence at prakanong last year.

she said they need to see it to check if i have been disqualified.

i asked if i have been disqualified will i still get a thai licence , she said no.

Hi

Thanks for all the info and Web link, really appreciate the effort put in finding relevant information. Is this a great Forum or what? :D:D

A few points for me to think about. Technically I’m a tourist so technically still resident of UK. I have my old paper license with me which is valid for some years yet so if I get the right forms I could arrange for someone in the UK to do it for me.

I would have to apply for change of address at the same time and get an International Driving Permit which as I understand it would allow me to get a Thai license.

Something just occurred to me I am/was on tourist visa but just a few months ago got the one year “O” Marriage Visa. Does that qualify me to apply for a Thai License or would I have to keep getting IDP every year? :o

Beachcomber. :D

When i got my new 5 year pink Thai D.L.in C.M.last week I only had to show the old 1 year do da and my passport (plus res-immi thingy)

Not asked for Old IDL or UK/EU.

Later on it got me into a couple of venues...FREE...

Also as confirmed earlier you can show it as ID when say travelling internally.

Used mine on NOK Air when passport requested.....handy..init.

Re the EU-Uk pink one ..the idea was to have all your doc /details on it and facilitate machine reada*le however UK police do not have the facility...hence the green paper ..

Something just occurred to me I am/was on tourist visa but just a few months ago got the one year “O” Marriage Visa. Does that qualify me to apply for a Thai License or would I have to keep getting IDP every year? :o

Yes you can apply for the Thai licence once you get married.

A Non Imm visa is a requirement for a Thai driving licence,

but you can own a vehicle with just a Tourist visa.

Please don't ask why the difference, TIT.

When I applied for my Thai licence, the IDP + my passport was sufficient,

no requirement for the UK licence, but that was several years ago.

My IDP was wrongly stamped to include a motorcycle so I have

Thai car and motorcycle licences, but only a car licence in the UK. :D

You also need the letter from Immigration to confirm your address.

Edited by astral

If you have been living on the beach that long, you no longer qualify for

a UK driving licence! To do so you must have a permanent address

in the UK.

if this is true and if I were driving in the UK or the EU with my old paper UK license in hand and no longer resident therein would I be illegally driving?

I changed my UK DL from paper type to the laminated photo ID type last year but what a process. My daughter got the form from the PO, posted to to me, I sent it back but left out the original birth certificate required thinking not necessary, all around the houses again and in total 7 months! Application has to be made from a UK address (yes it does say permanent but ideally your old address may suffice), and follow the instructions including attachments to the letter.

For a Thai DL the old or the new type UK DL is acceptable but they will issue 1 year validity only on first application then 5 year when you renew - then again if you know somebody who knows somebody you can go direct to 5 year Thai DL for a fee!

If you have been living on the beach that long, you no longer qualify for

a UK driving licence! To do so you must have a permanent address

in the UK.

if this is true and if I were driving in the UK or the EU with my old paper UK license in hand and no longer resident therein would I be illegally driving?

YES.

It is an EU regulation, and was discussed in the IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists)

a year or two back.

Bureaucratic nonsense in MHO.

Edited by astral

Actually I think its always been an offence in the UK. The green bit has your address on it. If you have changed address it has to be updated. Failure to do this is £400 fine. I was pulled up for this once, but was given a warning only (plus a £30 fine for driving in a bus lane :o )