200hp Vigo!

VTR1000

Dont know much and TOY-otas But I did Chip a BMW M3 and added and CAI (cold air intake).

The butt effect was dramatic, and I would recomend it to anyone. (Butt effect, the difference in applied g-force versus chipped and unchipped)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont know much and TOY-otas But I did Chip a BMW M3 and added and CAI (cold air intake).

The butt effect was dramatic, and I would recomend it to anyone. (Butt effect, the difference in applied g-force versus chipped and unchipped)

I take it that you have a small penis then. :o

F1 runner, you quoted my posts but replied to someone else.

I don't expect black smoke, I don't expect a huge increase in fuel consumption.

My question about chip tuning was if, as you explained yourself, the chip allows more air and more fuel in, doesn't it mean that exhaust system to needs to be modified as well?

Basically what happens when you are chip tuning a car is that you are programming the cars electronics to give you a more perfect mix between fuel and air compared to the cars originally factory settings. This is the basic of chip tuning and is the reason for why you see a drop in fuel consumption when driving normally but a power increase when giving it full throttle.

From this I see that the answer to my original question about how chips work lies in what is considered "perfect" - car makers think that "perfect" is the balance between power and fuel consumption, whereas chip makers mean simply more power.

Technically you could ask the car makers to program your ECU for higher power at the factory. Are there any other reasons why car makers don't do this? I suspect there are, as even their "sporty" versions of regular cars come with the same power output.

• 5 weeks later...

quote]

You are right, you are no expert! Rear disc brakes improve stopping power immensely, anti-locking system or not. The reason pickups have disc brakes on the rear is because they are light when unloaded and when heavy laden they will have a lot of swing and instability.

WOW tud, and you're the expert? :o You say that you need more braking power because the rear end is light? The reason they put an ABS system on the rear drum brakes is to keep them from locking up. You recommend disk brakes to lock the rear wheels up even faster? When they convert the drum brakes to disk, what do they do for the hand brake.

When I was test driving my Triton, I mentioned performance to the salesman. He said I could get the car reprogrammed for better performance, but then fuel economy will go down. One of the main sales pitch at the moment is fuel economy (high fuel prices), thus why economy has priority over performance. This re-enforces what people have been talking here. Performance is not at its best because thats not the priority.

In my experiance the internal expanding brake is fine, the only thing is they need more maintanance, theres more contact area with drum's thats why drum handbrakes work well, altho it's far simpler to change pads than linings, a disk handbrake in my experiance seldom has the grip of a drum, even Jaguar disk handbrakes are rubbish.

Have not bought a new car in Thailand yet but in the states if you chip a car and change factory specs you VOID your new car warrantee. Yes you can take the chip out and return it to factory specs but in the states many new cars are coming with black boxes that record engine specs and you can not erase what is recorded in the black box. I would wait till my car is out of warrantee then change the engine specs.

Their is no chip replacement or remap possible on the vigo.

So it's piggy back and with this the ecu see some number coming back from the different sensor like:

MAP, MAF.... and going out to the injection pump, Boost freqency valve control.... that are twicked down or up depending on what the tuner want's to make think the ecu to get what he want's.

This shiting trick will make the ecu advance the timing give more pressure to the injection and add some boost.

But in fact the ecu never see any higher value than OEM. If it would see more it would put the car in limp mode ( no boost and very poor injection).

So if you have the right connector's for the piggy back box to the Ecu (and don't cut any wire) then you can remove it anytime you go to Toyota and theire is no way that they ever see that you add one.

I read all your comment's about changing the vigo brake and make me smile!!!

The other day I saw one Vigo with uge 4 pot caliper and disque this is only for the blink blink I guess.

I don't see how on those Thai straight road with a car only doing 180 you can ever make the brake fade. Only if you track it but who want to track such a slow car?

I own a vigo 3.O D4D with D controler here in thailand and their is no way that I uprate more than the pads on it. it would add too much non suspend weight and make the car even slower and less good handling.

Back home in the french alps I have audi RS2 Tuned up to 400 hp and their it's another story I got those uge 350 mm disque with 4 pot calliper from a Porsche GT3 RS.

But when you go full speed down hill some time 240 KM/H on small road with at the end some 180 turn that you must take at 80 Km/H and theire is 10 of those jumping to your face one after an other then you need to get the best against fading.

Puting bigger brake on such a lite tail car is totaly stupid as all the braking power will be in the front.

In fact only the Porsche beed very big brake on thye rear cause of the weight of the engine in the back.

If you don't have enough braking power in the back you can always down shift some gears.

That 's the fun of the vigo ( because so light in the tail) come to a nice curve at about 100 Km/h pull down the second gear and sleep the clutch fast then the rear wheel block and you get a nice drift that you can keep untill the end of curve with the throtle.

For sure better bigger exhaust is alway's better on turbo car's (not NA) as it will give better spool up and lower the EGT (exhaust gas temperature).

But this is not such a problem on diesel car as they have anyway lower egt( around 800° c) compare to petrol car 1000° C.

Also when you tune up a diesel car you lower the A/F ratio injecting more diesel and this cool down the EGT as in a petrol car you would put less gas to make the A/F higher to get more power and this would increase daramaticaly the EGT and could bring some Knock. this is why you need to free the exhaust on petrol turbo car to let the heat go out and bring back down the EGT.

• 2 weeks later...

the D3000 was my step 1 upgrade and it can be remap by computer for furthrer upgrade.

my step 2 will larger injector and nozzle and tweak the Map sensore signal with potentiometer

to make it beliew it get less boost than real and there for in fact get more boost to burn this execess of fuel given by large injector and nozzle. hope to get another+ 30hp.

My step 3 will be to build a twin turbo compound setup.

infact add a big holset HX35 on top of the original vnt to get some boost at high rpm where the vnt start to run out of puff.

Hope to get around 300 Hp

this what the US guy's do on their diesel truck & also some uk's on TDI's

here are some exanple

http://www.stcperformance.com/dodgeturbo.htm

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=152729

not yet dynoed

much improve throtle response

much much faster acceleration. on a straight that I do every day to work where i could get 160 KM/H now I get 180 KM/H before the turn.

better MPG (if Can drive same like befor)

before top speed was 180 Km/H now litle over 190Km/h .stoping their because of diesel pump cuting (regulation).

I will ask if they can move the regulation 300 or 400 rpm higher.

They just need to plug the computer to the D3000 box and change some timing and regulation point.

• 2 weeks later...
It also doesn't affect the handbrake in any way, shape or form.

:o

So you are now telling me that if you take the drum brakes off a pickup truck it will not affect the hand brake? I suggest you climb under a truck and take a look.

• 4 weeks later...

The disc brakes TRD and many other places install is RUN & STOP. Forget it, dont even think about installing them. You drum brakes are better. This brand name is made localy here. Even TRD people told me not to put it on. Many who did, just took it off. The claims were that the brakes over heated and would not brake efficiently.

I had installed only front brakes to my Frotuner and thats good enough. As for the ECU was just an extra 28hps, not too much. For those who would like to intall over that..such as 40hps. Be warned. I have had 2 friends, whose engines overheated and blew due to engine stress. As someone mentioned, just let em modify the STD ECU on your Fortuner is good enough.

Take Care all.

Was that absolutely necessary????

He could ask how do you carry yours on a 100cc Honda Step Thru ??

OK tud, so they put a smaller drum inside the rotor for the hand brake. Now I understand but I would have thought it would be far easier to just install a mechanical caliper to grip the rotor. No wonder the disc brake add on for the rear is expensive. Two brake systems.

You do have a point that drum brakes are subject to fade but then again other than on the truck racing circuit I can't see that being a big problem.

Eventually drum brakes will become obsolete. Even though they are entirely adequate, I think the smaller disc brakes required for the rear will actually be cheaper. As soon as the foundry equipment and the machining centers for drum brakes wears out and needs replacing they will be replaced with new disc brake manufacturing machinery.

Was that absolutely necessary????

He could ask how do you carry yours on a 100cc Honda Step Thru ??

Have a look in classifieds for a 'Sense of humour'. You never know, could be your lucky day.

:D

Actually I am not sure if I do or not, why are you interested? I am not much of a conasuer of the male genitalia. Is it better for you if it is big or small... ?

Sorry but I am a hetrosexual male, happily married, and secure with my sexuality. So again, I apologize, there is no hope for a future for the two of us to be together. Please don't take this as a rejection, or an insult. I am sure things could have worked out between us, if I were to be in to guys. But I am not, and I do not think that I could change that, not even for you. So please, just move on, forget about me, it is for the better. Take care, and I wish you luck...

Edited by Dakhar

• 1 month later...
So you are now telling me that if you take the drum brakes off a pickup truck it will not affect the hand brake?

Of course not if you install the disc brakes correctly. The hand brake will be connected to a different, smaller drumbrake inside the disc brakes you have installed instead. Handbrakes on Toyota pickups are completely useless anyway and the cables slack off and need tightened every few hundred kilometres.

Did you think cars with disc brakes all round do not have a handbrake? :o

You drum brakes are better. This brand name is made localy here. Even TRD people told me not to put it on. Many who did, just took it off. The claims were that the brakes over heated and would not brake efficiently.
Decent disc brakes will always be better than drumbrakes. Drumbrakes are much more prone to fade (brakes over heated and would not brake efficiently as you put it) when used extensively and for long periods on time and also when used suddenly in emergency situations. Such are the drawbacks of the old technology of the drumbrake.

As I stated before you will never see a performance or race car with drumbrakes.

I suggest if the people at TRD (Thailand TRD let's not forget) told you that drum brakes are better they really don't have a clue what they are talking about. Two words - Brake Fade.

Not a surprise considering the knowledge in the aftermarket modified car scene in Thailand is limited indeed.

Yeah, I fully agree. Drum Brakes are <deleted>. Especially if you do an emergency brake on the Tollway at 135Km/h in a Toyota Yaris. The whole back locks up regardless ABS and the car slides all over the place. Scary to drive a Pepsi can in Bangkok.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys

I have put a chip in my D4D diesel, should give about 35hp extra, its make a real difference in acceleration , it is up 345nm to 400 nm, the unit sells in Europe with 3 years engine warranty.

I like

DIDNT KNOW THEY DID A DIESEL HARLEY ! NOW I KNOW WHY THEY ARE SO SLOW !! ,( hang on. just getting my head down to avoid the bullets ! )

post-41326-1170125805_thumb.jpg