Bar owners preferring Asians over Farangs?

There is a town near the Malaysian Boarder (I think) that has a huge red light scene... 99% of the people going are Asian (Malaysian, Thai, Singaporean).

I dont see this been an issue for places like Phuket and Pattaya.. But there are parts of Thailand where the bars cater to Asians in the same way bars in Phuket cater to farangs mostly

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It`s all to do with money and profits.

At the moment many Asian countries are on the up and up, which is quite the opposite regarding the Western countries. Asians simply have more money to spend. The Thai tourist industries and businesses connected with Thailand tourism have been concentration more on the Asian markets of tourism rather than from other countries who are only visiting Thailand on low budgets for cheap accommodation, cheap booze and cheap sex.

The irony of this is, that the majority, if not all, farang beerbar owners in Thailand are illegal owners anyway, mostly using Thais to front their businesses and paying off whoever in order to turn a blind eye.

Perhaps it would be more appropriate and viable to rid the bar establishments of their behind the scenes farang owners and give the Asians a shot at running the show? Better quality service, less seedy and some real decent adult entertainments establishments dealing in a more better class clientele.

It would be easy to summarize and say it's all about the money, but I don't think it is. I've seen some farangs (the minority) act rather belligerent after having a few and many do feel a sense of entitlement. That is, spend a few baht and they should be allowed to do what they want....to anyone they want. That's mostly what the article was about, attitude. I actually sympathize with the bar owners who have to put up with this sh*t night after night.

as this is mostly about the girlie bar scene i don't sympathise with the bar owners at all ... they tend to get exactly the type of customer they deserve !!

The qoute of the bar owner was this:

In my bar the number of Asian customers has gone from 5% to 15%. In a couple of years I'm going to go close the bar and open a new bar that will be all Asian customers, with no farangs allowed. I can't continue in business with people like this."

First of all - would it be legal to open a bar and deny certain people access cause of their skin colour and etnical origin in Thailand?

Secondly - why cant the bar owner continue business? nd who are the "People like this"?

"Bar" and "Business" in the same sentence in Thailand?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

The Japanese tend to be younger, slimmer and cleaner than these more recent waves of farangs, notably the farang pensioners and the yobble-gobble, "plosive-glottal" fough-bough-blotto, binge-drunk set from the UK. And they are on average better behaved.

They are more accustomed to brothel creeping as well. They order from the greedy old squaws we ignorantly refer to as the mamasan. They buy the greedy old slapper a "ding"They do not complain and they do not get into arguments and fights. They are docile and cooperative.

The girls like them because they'll drop 4K on a leisurely short time.

A lazy slapper or inexperienced bar chippie just has to approach them, nod, smile and twist a fist in front of her jappy pout and the drink is agreed to. It's a yes or a no. No cumbersome language issues. No boring tedious engagement issues. No need for conversation. Very little need for communication because with rare exceptions Japanese "Thai" is incomprehensible to the buffalo bunnies. Yes, some (the poor innocents we read about being tricked into prostitution by an evil "past her due date"auntie in Tokyo are around. But there aren't many.

At the beginning of the AIDS scare they used to have a bar in Nana (now GSpot) that was off limits to gaijin. Now they have their own clubs all over the city. Japanese only. There's hundreds of them. You can see the girls trickling in to work around 4 pm.

There is far less bother and friction with these guys.

I guess it all goes back to Japan's WW II. occupation of Thailand when the Sons of Heaven would descend on one village after another, march into the temples, liberate the gold Buddha images and all the gold jewelry they could find and melt it into ingots for shipment to the Philipines. A few beheadings of prominent monks and elders in each village served to encourage these contributions.

Nobody here talks about this now because it's not here and it's not now. AND just the sight of a soi Cowboy bar full of goofy old Brits and Western douchebags might explain a lot as well.

I was trying to explain to a gaggle of Japanista BG's that westerners were better for their overall health because unlike the Sons of Heaven, our bodily fluids were NOT radio active. They just smiled and said stuff like "jai dee" and "nam jai" and " sebeu"

Thailand has always been like Mexico for these guys.

You do realise that the term "Mamasan" IS Japanese,don't you?rolleyes.gif

@ eesat

From what I understand, eesat, "mamasan" is to geisha as "Mae Lao" is to bar girl.

Since these Mae Lao hosebags are more akin to pimps than traditional a Japanese mamasan, I am suggesting its use crept in to common practice as an attempt by Bangkok's early adapters to raise everybody's game.

Any Japanese who'd had actual dealings with an actual mamasan in an actual Geisha house would a) likely agree with this and B) in all probability belong to one or more of the HUNDREDS of private Japanese "clubs" between Asoke and Ekamai. The oft referenced soi Tanya being a sort of Japanese Patpong at this stage.

At this time I feel obliged to point out that like the vast majority of TV readers and writers and all expat sons of Siam both at home and abroad, although I have learned a great deal about Bangkok's fabled demimonde as an avid reader of his column I rarely frequent the sort of places Stickman refers to. To coin a phrase, I buy Stickman Bangkok for the articles.

I prefer my Saturday evening contract bridge sessions, my Bangkok Playhouse season's tickets, Siam Society lecture series, our bi-monthly Bangkok Oxbridge Alumni get-togethers and the occasional session of birding.

I don't expect our paths to cross.

(Well maybe in the Tesco On Nut "Aurora Gold" as we're scooping up .999 Bangkok Good Delivery bullion at sub-production prices.)

Ouch. It now seems like I am a loud mouthed, low paying, unwanted bar-fly. My destiny is to roam the back alleys where only the lowest classes of Asians would allow Farang Bars. Perhaps a tin roof with an old truck tire on top and a few fat 60 year old bargals. I feel like a dinosaur, out of touch, young gals shunning me in favor of kind, rich Japanese men. I can hear "hotel california" playing over and over, the Mamasan picking lice out of her hair, the smell of 5 day old pork Barbeque and a toilet that has never been flushed since Jesus was a Lance Corporal. Jethro Tull's "Aqualung" plays eerily, as I slip my greasy fingers into my pocket for my last dollar bill. The bar owner looks miffed. Wait.....this is the way it was 15 years ago in Subic Bay......

Its a parody...I stopped bar sleazing years ago.....lol