Khon Kaen: Ex-labourer 'Sexy Pancake' goes viral

webfact

Ex-labourer 'Sexy Pancake' goes viral
Jitima Chunprom
The Nation

30209511-01_big.jpg
Niwat

KHON KAEN: -- A male transvestite from Khon Kaen has become a national Internet celebrity, garnering over 544,000 likes on his Facebook page, "Sexy Pancake", in less than two months.

Since rising to fame, the Internet star has had numerous television appearances and received continuous work offers in several locations including Bangkok, predominantly in "lady-boy" dance shows.

Niwat Sangmor, 25, is also publishing an autobiography, set to be released this year.

Niwat, who goes by the nickname "Pancake", lives in a small house in Waeng Noi district. He shares a small house and plot of land with his grandmother and a cow. "I had the feeling of being a woman since my childhood," he added.

As a child, Niwat enjoyed sports and was an athletic kid at school. He said that he was inspired by the 2000 transgender-driven comedy "The Iron Ladies" and wanted to become an athlete. However, in sixth grade, Niwat had to drop out of school due to a lack of money, and took on hard labouring work to support his grandmother.

Despite not being enrolled in a school, Niwat was home-schooled and managed to earn a high school diploma through adult education. Collecting money from labouring work, Niwat bought four cows and resold three of them, spending part of the money on renovating the house.

Niwat's recent stardom stems from the popularity of the Facebook page, "Sexy Pancake". The page is run by a close friend of Niwat, Sura Narin, who came up with the idea of posting humorous photographs of a bikini-clad Niwat in various countryside activities. Set up in May, the page went viral in less than two months and has since gained a huge following among Thai citizens.

Due to the page's huge following, Niwat receives clothes and other gifts from fans on a regular basis. Niwat has been invited to perform at many events and appeared on broadcast television shows, and has also penned a book, which will be released in the near future.

Chanawut Uttho, or "Link", said he admired Niwat's work ethic and felt sorry for his poor living conditions. He has since volunteered to become Niwat's personal agent, managing his work schedule and public appearances.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-02

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being raised on a farm......I dont know but I am sort of turned on by this picture.... I cant stop looking at it! I am so confused! Is it the cow? Is it the pink umbrella? Is it Pancake? Or is it the Cow Pie? Help me please somebody!

544K likes???????? who is calculating these stats, TAT? I just checked the video and it has 13,550 view and 71 likes.

Well at least there are no complaints from TAT about this guy tarnishing the image of Thailand as sickening as it is.

Why I have been living in Thailand for 25 years now, and I have never ever,

I mean never seen a lady boy dance or strut his/her talent on YouTube, bars,

street corners, tiffany shows, TV shows,,,,what a unique piece of news.

Love the use of sarcasm there . . . clap2.gifwai.gif

• Like 2

How long do you reckon before this is banned because of the damage to Thailand's genteel reputation?

Are you joking? Have you ever left you place of residence in this country or are you blind in some way? How many lady boys are super stars on TV and how often are they openly doing their thing on the streets? It is just widely accepted in this country, and personally I have no problems with that. I do not share in their activities but I accept them for what they are and the culture they come from. I have seen sexy pancakes videos from time to time on facebook as they appeared on my timeline after Thai's 'liked' them, and some of them were quite funny.

• Like 2

"humorous photographs of a bikini-clad Niwat in various countryside activities"

I knew there was something missing from my life.................

I have to wonder if fans sending him clothes was a hint.

Why " Sexy Pancake" and not " Kay Dao" , needs to find a sponsor for a bit Xtra silicone

• Like 1

I dont know about you guys but regarding the music at the beginning of the video... Dont you guys hate it when you go to a club/bar or listen to the radio dj here in thailand and the song get's interrupt interrupted by the dj at least 20 times in a 3 minute song... Whats up with that? Once you start getting into a song then, BAM! (saying something in thai)like every 10 seconds. I am not a violent person but seriously... I want to punch the DJ in the face every time.