Thailand 1 year or longer, 29 year old American, not working, options?

if you want to be free to explore Thailand

get a treble entry tourist visa in your home country before you come,

3 x 60 day + a possible 3 x 30 day extensions = total of 9 months

when that's finished, pop over to Laos for a double entry 2 x 60 day + a possible 2 x 30 day extensions,

don't worry, you can get up to 4/5 back to back tourist visas in Laos before they start to moan...

an ED visa will tie you to one place, not good when you are 29!

bring lots of money, Thailand can be expensive when you are out and about all day having fun!

good luck!

Neronimo, thanks! I have just mentioned Myanmar as a place of high interest, but then Laos (Vientiane) is another place of high interest. This has been great for me to get context/ options in my mind. Hah, yes, don't want to be tied down to one spot!

As someone who did this myself (age 31), the answer will end up with the country you hold a passport for and where in Thailand you plan to stay.

As a US citizen with "foreign sourced income" but not from Thailand, an Educational visa was really the only option. This has to do with the US's "Foreign Earned Income Exclusion" (if you're from the US, look it up). I found a wonderful school where you were given a personal teacher. If you had time for class, you went to class. If you didn't have time for class, you sent the teacher a text message and postponed the class. You simply had to do 30 hours of class every 3 months. This gets you a 1 year visa and the school will take care of the extensions. I personally went for a 1 year multi-entry visa, and I just need to do a boarder run every 90 days. I did the multi-entry so that I could explore Asia and not need to pay the 1,900 baht for a reentry permit (as well as the hassle for that). Multi-entry is really the way to go, but I'm also less than 4 hours away from an immigration checkpoint (I live in Chiang Mai).

If you're not from the United States, then getting a tripple entry visa makes the most sense. You may also find, like me, that the 30 day extension for 1,900 baht ($60) isn't worth it when a single 60 day entry is only 1,200 baht ($40). But if your plan is simply to get all your extensions from near-by destinations, then yes, they will or might block you from renewing them all the time. I would visit the US for 1 week every 4 months and just got my renewals there (normally just got myself double entry for a total of 120 days).

So tourist visa makes the most sense. At least try it first and see if it's as hard as you think it might be. It's not. But if you have specific tax reasons issues that come up with being legally a "tourist" in another country (as can happen if the USA decides to define you as a tourist) rather than being a student, then go the other route and get a 1 year student visa. The only other benefit for the multi-entry student visa is that I can visit other countries with my friends anytime I want to and I don't need to worry about burning though visa stamps.

Thanks, great post, I appreciate the thoroughness and I will hit you back on the pm you sent me shortly!

I tried to get a retirement visa when I was 36 or so. I didn't get it but I easily got a 1 year NON-Immigrant O multiple entry (all fully officially via consulate, no tea-money involved, no begging or kneeling involved). This visa allowed me to stay 15 months (visa run each 3 months) and get drivers licence. Ask your local consulate/embassy if they can give this to u. if you have the funds they will consider it if you can give them a proper reason why u need it (be creative i'd say).

edit:

this visa costed 150 euro

3 free pieces of advice:

1/ learn some of the language BEFORE coming over. u will not regret it

2/ stay away from bars and other waste-of-money-and-energy-things, unless of course u're that kinda guy

3/ don't believe everything written on TV

stickylies, great. Interesting. So, same all around NON-immigrant O rules were applied to you but they waived the age, basically? (Making sure I understand correctly) Curious if you're willing to share the reason you gave? If not, no worries nor response required to that question.... Hah, as to 3 pieces of advice - all appreciated and I read you loud and clear! I'm on the same wavelength I guess, ha-ha.

Most easiest way is the Non Immigrant Business visa.

Just go to any website of a Thai law office and they will happily supply you with all the documents, send it to your home by registered mail and get a one year (or actually 15 months) Non-Immigrant B visa at your local Thai consulate.

This is also what I did 5 years ago and all I needed to do was pay 10 or 12.000 THB with no hassle from my side at all. However you do need to leave the country every 90 days, but especially the first year this is excellent as you most likely want to visit neighboring countries anyway.

tfbpa, would you mind please expounding on the specifics of what you did? What business were you on, sponsor company, etc? Thanks. Mostly curious, don't plan to go that route myself since I won't be working but want to understand more what you did.

Good advice in this thread.

Have you been to Thailand before? Have you been to the neighboring countries before? Cambodia has a very easy visa policy. Vietnam is fun and crazy cheap.

If you're set on Thailand, then I would probably do the 60+30 day tourist visa, then go spend a few weeks in Cambodia. 60+30 day tourist visa in Thailand, then go spend a month in South Vietnam, etc.

Thanks. Great question. No, haven't been to Thailand or the region. That's partially why I don't know just how much I will roam. But, that said, pretty sure I'll be happy with it as a "home base" and then take several extended trips through the whole of SEA.

What top places would you recommend for extended stays (1-3 months) (other then Thailand)?

RogueLeader - Thanks! I definitely have to say I am highly interested and have done a good bit of research on Myanmar. A historic opportunity to experience things as they are today, I agree. Thanks for reenforcing that for me. I'm still thinking Thailand (Chiang Mai) as a stable base from which to take several long-ish trips into Myanmar. So, that may be top choice for visa runs and I can make them last a good length of time.

I can't fault Chiang Mai either - the food, the climate and the people bring me back there again and again. I love the city and never fail to visit when I'm in the region (I came over for a trip last time I was in West Bengal - that's how much I like it). Bangkok is great, one of my favourite cities in the world, but the relentless heat and crush do get a little too much after a while. Chiang Mai is a little more laid back and even the wilder expats seem a little less batshit than in the cities of Central Thailand (Kanchanaburi and Ranong - I'm looking at you wink.png )

Incidentally, I don't mean to disparage Kan or Ranong. Kan is an endlessly fascinating town for many reasons: if you want to see how foreigners are treated in Thailand both historically and in the present, go the the Death Railway museum and talk to the owners of the bar on Thanon Mae Naam Kwai. Ranong is home to the best visa run in the country, in my opinion:

http://www.onewayticketphil.com/guide-to-a-ranong-visa-run-from-to-burma-myanmar/

If you don't want to go to Malaysia, it's pretty much your only convenient option if you're island-hopping. Don't buy the cigarettes in Kawthoung. They're cheap but horrible.

This wasn't really intended to be a precis of Thailand's tourist spots, but it seems to be. I'm sure you'll have a great time. If you want any more info, let me know. i have some truly hair-raising stories about Burma, Kan and Bangkok.

Your best bet is the tourist Visa. As long as you don't overstay I don't think you will have any problems. If you return to your home country every year or so, you could probably continue until you retire at age 50. You might also want to check out Laos, Cambodia, and in a couple of years Myanmar. Thus you won't be in Thailand continuously and this seems to make the Thai Embassies in the area happy. One more point, it is probably better to go to a different Thai Consulat each time you apply for a new Visa. Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'd advise anyone spending that long in SE Asia to visit Myanmar now before the Bamar, Shan and Karen develop tourist-induced cynicism as has happened in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam.

I have just spoken to a gentleman that just came back from Myanmar. His opinion was to wait one year. They only take "perfect" US currency, (no folds at all). they do not take credit cards, and they have no ATM's. They say they will have them next year. Since it is mainly business people going there right now for business opportunities, it is very expensive. I am waiting anxiously to go there, but want to wait until they are ready for tourists.

That gentleman you spoke to either had blinkers on or went to Myanmar 10 years ago. First of all, they DO have ATMs in Myanmar, I have made numerous withdrawals from my account there on my last two trips earlier this year. Yes, ATMs only first appeared last year, but they are available in most major towns now, though not yet in the countryside.

There are also plenty of tourists visiting Myanmar, more than businessmen. Yes, there are plenty of businessmen too but in most places tourists outnumbered businessmen particularly outside Yangon.

Myanmar is still quite cheap, hotel prices are a bit inflated but there are still good deals to be had. Food, local transport and other expenses are still low. Hiring a car with driver is about the most expensive in the world, usually about $100-200 a day, closer to $200 for out of town trips and $50-100 for local city trips.

Be sure you don't get visa to early because the 6 months the visa will be valid for starts on day of issue.

Thanks ubonjoe; so by this part here, are you saying that in the U.S. I get a tourist visa on "X" date (call it 1 Sept.) then it is good for 6 months starting that date, and I need to make my final re-entry before 6 months from the date of issue (i.e. Sept 1st)? Thanks!

Yes, if the visa is issued on 1st September, then the six month validity of the visa starts on that date and you would have to use all your entries before 28th February.

Sophon

• Like 2

I tried to get a retirement visa when I was 36 or so. I didn't get it but I easily got a 1 year NON-Immigrant O multiple entry (all fully officially via consulate, no tea-money involved, no begging or kneeling involved). This visa allowed me to stay 15 months (visa run each 3 months) and get drivers licence. Ask your local consulate/embassy if they can give this to u. if you have the funds they will consider it if you can give them a proper reason why u need it (be creative i'd say).

edit:

this visa costed 150 euro

3 free pieces of advice:

1/ learn some of the language BEFORE coming over. u will not regret it

2/ stay away from bars and other waste-of-money-and-energy-things, unless of course u're that kinda guy

3/ don't believe everything written on TV

stickylies, great. Interesting. So, same all around NON-immigrant O rules were applied to you but they waived the age, basically? (Making sure I understand correctly) Curious if you're willing to share the reason you gave? If not, no worries nor response required to that question.... Hah, as to 3 pieces of advice - all appreciated and I read you loud and clear! I'm on the same wavelength I guess, ha-ha.

I suspect Stickylies' experience was a few years back. Enforcement of the rules have been tightened over the last couple of years, and today you are unlikely to get a 1 year Non Immigrant O visa without qualifying for it (Thai family or being of retirement age). Nothing in your posts indicate that you would qualify for this visa.

But, of course, nothing is lost by giving some of the honorary consulates a call and ask them.

Sophon

Have you been to Thailand before? Have you been to the neighboring countries before? Cambodia has a very easy visa policy. Vietnam is fun and crazy cheap.

If you're set on Thailand, then I would probably do the 60+30 day tourist visa, then go spend a few weeks in Cambodia. 60+30 day tourist visa in Thailand, then go spend a month in South Vietnam, etc.

Thanks. Great question. No, haven't been to Thailand or the region. That's partially why I don't know just how much I will roam. But, that said, pretty sure I'll be happy with it as a "home base" and then take several extended trips through the whole of SEA.

What top places would you recommend for extended stays (1-3 months) (other then Thailand)?

It's really a personal choice. I'm pretty close to being a 29 year old American from the midwest. I'm not a big fan of big cities.

Myanmar : I LOVED Myanmar (definitely going back), but from Chiang Mai you can only fly to Yangon. Bangkok has all the Myanmar flight connections. Also a tourist visa is required. I got mine from Washington DC and it starts the day it is issued. Make sure you pre-book all your accommodations!! Also I think Myanmar requires the most research and preparation. You need brand spanking new US currency. Minimal ATMs, very very minimal credit card usage. Good people, good English, somewhat expensive hotels.

Vietnam : I love Vietnam!! Very low prices. No nonsense people (meaning they are pretty much to the point). Decent English. Not as fun as Thailand, but it is structured and still fun. Not as many impressive sights to see, but it is a good country to relax in for a long-ish while. I could easily stay in Nha Trang for two weeks just staring at the ocean. There's a pretty good debate on which is better, north or south, but I find the south to have friendlier people and more excitement.

Cambodia : Cambodia is different. Friendly people. Decent English. Easy long stay visa (1 year!). I would probably stay in Phnom Penh for a couple days, bus to Siem Reap, stay in Siem Reap for a week or so, bus back to Phnom Penh and then fly to next place.

I've only been to Laos for day trips, so no comment on them.

Singapore is okay for a day or two, but I didn't really care for it. It was pretty much like a newer New York with more Asian people.

Never been to Malaysia.

Basically as a young person, you only have two options to stay in Thailand for one continuous year. Go to school for a year with an ED visa, or get married. School costs money. So you basically need to vacation (fly) to a new place every so often to renew your visa or visa exemption. And since you've never been to the region, I HIGHLY recommend checking out the other countries besides Thailand.

rolleyes.gif TheVagabond:

Info you need to know about a triple entry tourist visa.

When issued a triple visa is normally good for 180 days before it expires.

In other words it has a "must be used before" expiration date.

That expiration date starts the date it is issued.

So get your triple entry tourist visa (if hat's what you get) as close as possible to the day you leave your country .... assuming you want to maximize your time in Thailand on that visa.

In the U.S. they may want "financial evidence" you can live in Thailand for that period as a tourist.

What that may mean is being able to show them that you have the funds to live, and that may mean some kind of statement from your bank to the Thai consulate who issues you the visa.

Now that expiration date (180 days) is very important,

You MUST make the 3 exit re-entry runs by that expiration date. If you have not done the 3rd entry by that expiration date your third exit re-entry is voided.

So, to max your time on that visa you need to plan the 3rd re-entry for the 179th day. (leave yourself 1 day of slack "just in case" something goes wrong).

Your third entry will get you a 60 day "permitted to stay" stamp on re-entry.

Even though your triple entry visa expires on day 180, you can still extend that "permitted to stay' stamp for another 30 days at immigration for the normal 1900 Baht fee.

If you do it correctly you can get:

3 entries ..... 60 days each time .... equals 180 days (but the 3rd one done at day 179 as I said above)

2 extensions ..... 30 days each .... equals 60 days

And that means a total on that triple entry visa of 240 days. You will NOT be able to get 270 days out of that triple entry visa. The best you can do is to get 240 days.

Just plan ahead. Be prepared to sacrifice one extension to get those 3 re-entry runs done by day 180,

That's how you "milk the visa dry".

rolleyes.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

So get your triple entry tourist visa (if hat's what you get) as close as possible to the day you leave your country .... assuming you want to maximize your time in Thailand on that visa.

In the U.S. they may want "financial evidence" you can live in Thailand for that period as a tourist.

What that may mean is being able to show them that you have the funds to live, and that may mean some kind of statement from your bank to the Thai consulate who issues you the visa.

You MUST make the 3 exit re-entry runs by that expiration date. If you have not done the 3rd entry by that expiration date your third exit re-entry is voided.

So, to max your time on that visa you need to plan the 3rd re-entry for the 179th day. (leave yourself 1 day of slack "just in case" something goes wrong).

Even though your triple entry visa expires on day 180, you can still extend that "permitted to stay' stamp for another 30 days at immigration for the normal 1900 Baht fee.

3 entries ..... 60 days each time .... equals 180 days (but the 3rd one done at day 179 as I said above)

And that means a total on that triple entry visa of 240 days. You will NOT be able to get 270 days out of that triple entry visa. The best you can do is to get 240 days.

Just plan ahead. Be prepared to sacrifice one extension to get those 3 re-entry runs done by day 180,

rolleyes.gif

This is the exact kind of details I love. Thank you very much!

RogueLeader - Thanks! I definitely have to say I am highly interested and have done a good bit of research on Myanmar. A historic opportunity to experience things as they are today, I agree. Thanks for reenforcing that for me. I'm still thinking Thailand (Chiang Mai) as a stable base from which to take several long-ish trips into Myanmar. So, that may be top choice for visa runs and I can make them last a good length of time.

I can't fault Chiang Mai either - the food, the climate and the people bring me back there again and again. I love the city and never fail to visit when I'm in the region (I came over for a trip last time I was in West Bengal - that's how much I like it). Bangkok is great, one of my favourite cities in the world, but the relentless heat and crush do get a little too much after a while. Chiang Mai is a little more laid back and even the wilder expats seem a little less batshit than in the cities of Central Thailand (Kanchanaburi and Ranong - I'm looking at you wink.png )

Incidentally, I don't mean to disparage Kan or Ranong. Kan is an endlessly fascinating town for many reasons: if you want to see how foreigners are treated in Thailand both historically and in the present, go the the Death Railway museum and talk to the owners of the bar on Thanon Mae Naam Kwai. Ranong is home to the best visa run in the country, in my opinion:

http://www.onewayticketphil.com/guide-to-a-ranong-visa-run-from-to-burma-myanmar/

If you don't want to go to Malaysia, it's pretty much your only convenient option if you're island-hopping. Don't buy the cigarettes in Kawthoung. They're cheap but horrible.

This wasn't really intended to be a precis of Thailand's tourist spots, but it seems to be. I'm sure you'll have a great time. If you want any more info, let me know. i have some truly hair-raising stories about Burma, Kan and Bangkok.

Hey this is great! Thanks for the ideas. I will especially remember to not dress like a hippie and hide my sandals! (that pic is funny!)

It's really a personal choice. I'm pretty close to being a 29 year old American from the midwest. I'm not a big fan of big cities.

Myanmar : I LOVED Myanmar (definitely going back), but from Chiang Mai you can only fly to Yangon. Bangkok has all the Myanmar flight connections. Also a tourist visa is required. I got mine from Washington DC and it starts the day it is issued. Make sure you pre-book all your accommodations!! Also I think Myanmar requires the most research and preparation. You need brand spanking new US currency. Minimal ATMs, very very minimal credit card usage. Good people, good English, somewhat expensive hotels.

Vietnam : I love Vietnam!! Very low prices. No nonsense people (meaning they are pretty much to the point). Decent English. Not as fun as Thailand, but it is structured and still fun. Not as many impressive sights to see, but it is a good country to relax in for a long-ish while. I could easily stay in Nha Trang for two weeks just staring at the ocean. There's a pretty good debate on which is better, north or south, but I find the south to have friendlier people and more excitement.

Cambodia : Cambodia is different. Friendly people. Decent English. Easy long stay visa (1 year!). I would probably stay in Phnom Penh for a couple days, bus to Siem Reap, stay in Siem Reap for a week or so, bus back to Phnom Penh and then fly to next place.

I've only been to Laos for day trips, so no comment on them.

Singapore is okay for a day or two, but I didn't really care for it. It was pretty much like a newer New York with more Asian people.

Never been to Malaysia.

Basically as a young person, you only have two options to stay in Thailand for one continuous year. Go to school for a year with an ED visa, or get married. School costs money. So you basically need to vacation (fly) to a new place every so often to renew your visa or visa exemption. And since you've never been to the region, I HIGHLY recommend checking out the other countries besides Thailand.

You are from the Midwest?

Thanks a lot of good context here on the region. I know, no doubt, that it's a definite case of "so much to see, so little time" so it's good I'm starting young ;)

rolleyes.gif

I'm afraid that the information given by IMA_FARANG is not accurate. If you can manage to get your visa just a few days before leaving for Thailand you can get almost 270 days out of it, and you will definitely be able to get more than 240 days.

Example:

• 3 entry tourist visa issued 1st of July, the visa will have a "enter before date" of 1st of January.
  • Arrive in Thailand 3rd of July using first entry and get permission to stay until 31st of August.
  • Apply for 30 days extension a week or so before 31st of August, new permission to stay date 30th of September.
  • On 30th of September a border run to a neighbouring country and come back the same day using your visa's second entry. New permission to stay date 28th of November.
  • Apply for 30 days extension a week or so before 28th of November, new permission to stay date 28th of December.
  • On 28th of December make a border run to a neighbouring country and come back the same day using your visa's third and last entry. New permission to stay date 25th of February. Note that you have to make this last border run not only before your current permission to stay runs out, but also before the "enter before" date on your visa. In this example the "enter before" date is not a problem, because the visa was issued only two days before your arrival in Thailand, but had the visa been issued lets say one week before arrival date, it would be the "enter before" date on your visa that would determine when you would need to do your last border run - not your current permission to stay date.
  • Apply for 30 days extension a week or so before 25th of February, new permission to stay date 27th of March. You will get the extension even though your visa is now expired, since you are extending your permission to stay - not the visa.

So in this example you get to stay from 3rd of July until 27th of March on your three entry tourist visa, which is 268 days. Getting the visa only two days before arriving in Thailand may not be realistic so in real life conditions you may only be able to get 260-265 days out of such a visa.

Organised border runs from many places costs around 2,000 baht and each extension costs 1,900 baht.

Sophon

rolleyes.gif

I'm afraid that the information given by IMA_FARANG is not accurate. If you can manage to get your visa just a few days before leaving for Thailand you can get almost 270 days out of it, and you will definitely be able to get more than 240 days.

Example:

• 3 entry tourist visa issued 1st of July, the visa will have a "enter before date" of 1st of January.
  • Arrive in Thailand 3rd of July using first entry and get permission to stay until 31st of August.
  • Apply for 30 days extension a week or so before 31st of August, new permission to stay date 30th of September.
  • On 30th of September a border run to a neighbouring country and come back the same day using your visa's second entry. New permission to stay date 28th of November.
  • Apply for 30 days extension a week or so before 28th of November, new permission to stay date 28th of December.
  • On 28th of December make a border run to a neighbouring country and come back the same day using your visa's third and last entry. New permission to stay date 25th of February. Note that you have to make this last border run not only before your current permission to stay runs out, but also before the "enter before" date on your visa. In this example the "enter before" date is not a problem, because the visa was issued only two days before your arrival in Thailand, but had the visa been issued lets say one week before arrival date, it would be the "enter before" date on your visa that would determine when you would need to do your last border run - not your current permission to stay date.
  • Apply for 30 days extension a week or so before 25th of February, new permission to stay date 27th of March. You will get the extension even though your visa is now expired, since you are extending your permission to stay - not the visa.

So in this example you get to stay from 3rd of July until 27th of March on your three entry tourist visa, which is 268 days. Getting the visa only two days before arriving in Thailand may not be realistic so in real life conditions you may only be able to get 260-265 days out of such a visa.

Organised border runs from many places costs around 2,000 baht and each extension costs 1,900 baht.

Sophon

So if I understand correctly the difference in what you both said is that IMA_FARANG - you're saying if your 3rd re-entry is just before day 180 then you have to give up on your final 30 day extension? What has led you to that understanding?

And Sophon you're saying you can do the third 30 day extension towards the end of your 3rd 60 days after your last re-entry, even after the initial visa "enter before date" of, in your example's case, Jan 1st.

Thanks

Edited by TheVagabond

It would be the 2nd entry extension that you might have to skip if it took you way past the date your visa expires. For example it would make no sense to get the extension if you only had 10 days left on your visa after the 60 days of the entry ran out.

You can do the 3rd entry just before your visa expires (use before date) getting another 60 day entry that you can still extend for 30 days. This is how you can get almost 9 months out of the visa.

The visa's 180 days is not the maximum amount of time you can stay if that is what you are thinking.

The math is 60 days + 30 days + 60 days + 30 days = 180 days which is how long your visa will be valid for doing an entry which is date you must do the 3rd entry by which will be another 60 + 30 days.

The most important thing to understand is not to get your visa to long before you plan on starting your trip because the 180 days starts on the date of issue. IE: if your visa was issued 10 days before you entered Thailand that would mean that you could only use 20 days of the extension you can get for your 2nd entry.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1