Stressful

BambinA

i'm searching for master degree ,vet med ..in usa ...got interesting one at colorado

but alil confuse http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/clinsci/Graduateprograms.HTM

between Master of Science Program VS Combined Residency/Masters Program

i will leave from thailand pretty soon ..

need toefl 550 atleast ..

i have to study hard with it .. but for my furture .. maybe i have to do it

im really crazy now :o

but i need more spare for other Univ (that i cant find)

if anyone can find nice vet med (master degree) and board certi. please lemme know

grazie :D:D

Colorado state!.........too cold in the winter!....nothing to do or see there. Does it has any ranking anyway?

Why not check out my uni - University of Washington, Seattle - ranking in the top 20 in the nation, and is one of the most beautiful campus in the country. I think in medical fields we're in the top 10 always! As an alumni - I verrrry happy with it! :o

If you need more info or pic, just let me know

Oh....at least TOEFL 580

Edited by BKK90210

i'm searching for master degree ,vet med ..in usa ...got interesting one at colorado

but alil confuse http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/clinsci/Graduateprograms.HTM

between Master of Science Program VS Combined Residency/Masters Program

i will leave from thailand pretty soon ..

need toefl 550 atleast ..

i have to study hard with it .. but for my furture .. maybe i have to do it

im really crazy now :o

but i need more spare for other Univ (that i cant find)

if anyone can find nice vet med (master degree) and board certi. please lemme know

grazie :D:D

My alma mater Cornell has one of the best veterinary schools in the country but the competition to get in is absolutely fierce.It is located in Ithaca in upstate NY and has one of the most beautiful campuses but you may have to get used to a lot of snow.

Colorado state!.........too cold in the winter!....nothing to do or see there. Does it has any ranking anyway?

Why not check out my uni - University of Washington, Seattle - ranking in the top 20 in the nation, and is one of the most beautiful campus in the country. I think in medical fields we're in the top 10 always! As an alumni - I verrrry happy with it! :o

Ya gotta Coug it in Spokane for vet medicine in WA St. Just as cold as Colorado in the winter.

My alma mater Cornell has one of the best veterinary schools in the country but the competition to get in is absolutely fierce.It is located in Ithaca in upstate NY and has one of the most beautiful campuses but you may have to get used to a lot of snow.

With the most prestigious Southeast Asian program in the west, and the largest Thai library in the US, she might have some luck applying to Cornell. Plenty of Thai scholars around that campus. Worth a try! Ask around, plenty of Cornell grads in Thai universities.

Ya gotta Coug it in Spokane for vet medicine in WA St. Just as cold as Colorado in the winter.

The "Coug" is in Pullman not Spokane.....and it's Washington state university!....The ranking there is much much lower!

Unlike the "University of Washington in Seattle" which I'm talking about here!

Edited by BKK90210

Hi Bambina,

Go for it! Go anywhere that accepts you(if it ever comes to that). If you are going back to Thailand after you get your education, it won't matter where you went!

I recently came back from Colorado a week ago to go skiing. Its not a bad place and the time will go quickly if you immerse yourself in your studies. You might have a problem finding good Thai food, although I ate at one restaurant in an abandoned-looking shopping center where the food was surprisingly good(perhaps I was just hungry). There are few Thai people there!

Good Luck!

Are you joking? Colorado is one of the most beautiful places anywhere. Nothing to do or see.? It has more ski areas that Switzerland, the highest mountains in the continental U.S., the Colorado River that is great for rafting -- etc., etc.

Colorado State is also the former Ag. college for the state; it's vet program is very well regarded.

Nong sao,

What's wrong with the prestigious Chulalongkorn? Its well known and its just as good if not better than many US colleges?

If you're reallyinterested to study in US than I think Michigan State Uni is very fine....Great party in "case-hall" also :o

Colorado state!.........too cold in the winter!....nothing to do or see there.

you have got to be kidding. colorado has more to do than just about anywhere in the states. CSU is in fort collins, which isn't a bad town, and close to boulder which is my favorite. tons of camping, skiing, fishing, hiking, festivals, etc. it does get a bit cold but it's nice if you have a cozy place to stay, and the people in colorado are very friendly.

Colorado state!.........too cold in the winter!....nothing to do or see there.

you have got to be kidding. colorado has more to do than just about anywhere in the states. CSU is in fort collins, which isn't a bad town, and close to boulder which is my favorite. tons of camping, skiing, fishing, hiking, festivals, etc. it does get a bit cold but it's nice if you have a cozy place to stay, and the people in colorado are very friendly.

I wasn't talked about most students....I'm talking about our BAMBI. She's a thai girl from BKK

I just don't see her doing all that....camping, skiing, fishing, and hiking most of times.... :o

May be I'm wrong about BAMBI? Why doesn't BAMBI tell us what else she would like to do during her spring break. Going to the nearby Lake Havasu perhap? :D

Edited by BKK90210

Bambie ........ if you get accepted go just about anywhere!

I lived all over the USA for 36 of my 41 years and Colorado is a good choice for where to LIVE .... but better check and see if the focus is on small or large animals (pets or Agricultural)

Vet school is notoriously hard to get into ... but may be easier for foriegn students!

Good luck!

Bambi,

Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Lousianna, Mississippi, and Florida are warm/Hot climates most of the year and cost of living is lower than most places others have mentioned.

I completed my Masters Degree in Michigan and it does get cooolldd. Summer warms the place up to 24 degrees celsius for about three weeks then it is back to cold.

I have sent you a PM with more information.

I am in Dallas Texas and we also have a large Asian community.

Regards,

ChiefBEM

One thing to remember....

Be prepare to pay for the meals if you’re planning to live on a campus dormitory. With the sticker price like that you would have thought the plate’s included!

Hmm….come to think about it…..I still have a small collection of their fine china storing somewhere to these days! :o

Tx A&M, historically has been a good Ag. school. Bambi, it is your life, but for all that effort, what does a vet earn in Thailand? Is there really a demand for a pet doctor?

Are you kidding ? There are thousands and thousands of sick buffalo all over Isaan that need veterinary care. Just ask any BG :o

I don't have any personal experience or knowledge about vet medicine, but here are links to the 3 Colleges in Canada that offer doctorate programs:

Western College of Veterinary Medicine (Saskatchewan)

Ontario Veterinary College

Atlantic Veterinary College (Prince Edward Island)

Hope that helps !! :D

Actually Colorado would feel a lot warmer as it is dry and during the day you can walk around in shirt sleaves most of the time. Amazing what that mile high altitude does for sunlight. As for being scenic believe Colorado has it there too (and you can actually see it most days). Nothing against Wash State but do you really want to live in a mini UK weather system? Rain, rain, rain.

I also will recommend the veterinary programs at Michigan State University. Graduate programs, board certification, and a small animal program. It is not as highly ranked as Colorado, but it is very, very good and the competition for admission is intense. It is located in a small city, but has many amenities.

Michigan isn't as cold as the previous poster implied, and the summers are a lot warmer and longer!

I think that you might like to consider another country like NZ or Australia, which may have a good vet program as well:

Massey University in NZ for instance

For larger animals like cattle for instance, American farming practices are IMHO not likely to continue the way they are now with massive amounts of drugs and wierd feeding practises and stuff, so maybe the NZ/Australia grass feeding approach is more relevant to Thailand; although admittedly that is not your area of interest.

For smaller animals, I think NZ and Aussie will offer decent variety, and both countries are quite cutting edge in other area of bio tech type stuff; I am not a vet so cannot comment on much more than that.

Colorado is kind of cold and unpleasant if you do not like the cold, and my friends who went to NW complained about much the same thing in Michigan/Chicago. but if you want to ski, then Colorado is really good; all a bit of a trade off of what you want to enjoy.

In terms of cost, USA is going to be a lot more than Aussie or NZ; but then again is probably more cutting edge in some areas depending on choice of school. USA certainly has lots of schools, but there is not much point in going to anything less than top 50 as outside of that, the Aussie and NZ schools start to be competitive at a smaller cost and more convenient location.

That said....Spring break Woo hoo. :o

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rank...f/vet_brief.php

Health Disciplines: Veterinary Medicine (Doctor of Veterinary Medicine)

Ranked in 2003*

Rank/School Average assessment

score (5.0 = highest)

1. Cornell University (NY) 4.4

2. Colorado State University 4.2

3. University of Pennsylvania 4.1

Graduate School RankingsBy U.S. News & World Report:VETERINARY MEDICINE - Doctor of Vet. MedicineAverageReputationRankTop 10 UniversitiesScore1Cornell University (N.Y.)4.42Colorado State University4.23University of Pennsylvania4.14North Carolina State University3.95Texas A&M University, College Station3.86Michigan State University3.76Ohio State University3.78University of Wisconsin, Madison3.69University of Florida3.39University of Georgia3.3[NOTE: This table lists the universities that were included in a2003 ranking of the top 21 universities by U.S. News & World Report.]Source: U.S. News & World Report Graduate School Rankings

Washington State University

U.S. News & World Report's 1997 "America's Best Graduate Schools" (rated biannually) rankings rated WSU's:

Veterinary Medicine -11th in the nation out of 27 veterinary colleges;

The University of Georgia

The College of Veterinary Medicine is ranked highest among UGA's honorees, tied for ninth.UGA's College of Veterinary Medicine maintained the top-10 position it held in 2000, the last year that U.S. News ranked vet schools.

Ohio State University

College of Veterinary Medicine: ranked best in Ohio and 6th in the nation.

http://aavmc.org/

"The Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges coordinates the affairs of the 27 U.S. Veterinary Medical Colleges, 4 Canadian Colleges of Veterinary Medicine, Departments of Veterinary Science and Comparative Medicine, and the animal medical centers. In addition, the association fosters the membership's teaching, research and service missions both nationally and internationally."

Edited by thai1on

.... Nothing against Wash State but do you really want to live in a mini UK weather system? Rain, rain, rain.

I like rain….well let’s see why rain rain rain is good for Bambi..

Bambi can stay in and read all her text books

Bambi can have a Free car wash

Bambi won’t get tan – no need for skin whitening lotion here

Bambi can sleep-in

Bambi can stay in bed cuddling her tee-rak…..I bet she will like this!

Or…Bambi can be“singing in the rain” with the romantic sound of the rain provides charming backup!

Edited by BKK90210

Bambi, if you are serious PM me, I have a friend who is a vet in the US and could probably give you better advice than any of us non-veterinarians.

And btw, I lived in Colorado for quite a few years, the winter is not uniformly cold but temps can vary from 20 to 20 below (Celsius). One day you are wearing shorts, the next day gloves and a coat. Colorado has something like 300+ sunny days a year. So, even if you are freezing your butt off the sun is shining and the day is beautiful

As for nothing to do in Colorado, you must be joking. Regardless of the outdoor activities like hiking, camping, rockclimbing, rafting etc etc the Denver metro area has over 2 million people now and a very broad and active cultural life. It is not the one horse town of old.

As for schools, I believe my friend applied to CSU as it is one of the top vet schools in the US but ended up in Michigan (and she was the valedictorian of our high school!). Competition is fierce at the top vet schools in the US.

Colorado in the spring:

post-4641-1144123962_thumb.jpg

.... Nothing against Wash State but do you really want to live in a mini UK weather system? Rain, rain, rain.

I like rain….well let’s see why rain rain rain is good for Bambi..

Bambi can stay in and read all her text books

Bambi can have a Free car wash

Bambi won’t get tan – no need for skin whitening lotion here

Bambi can sleep-in

Bambi can stay in bed cuddling her tee-rak…..I bet she will like this!

Or…Bambi can be“singing in the rain” with the romantic sound of the rain provides charming backup!

What load (a loaf?) of silliness. This fellow (girl?) BKK9201 has managed to degrade the discussion to this juvenile level -- to Bambina, a lady who is one of our respected Thai female contributors and concerned about her professional development. Colorado State is an excellent vet school and the climate there is supreme. I was born and raised in the great state of Colorado, graduated from Boulder, and can promise you that there are some very interesting and open-minded people there. It's very artistic and "retro" hippie. When I went to school in Boulder in the early '70s it was a center of the true hippie movement, so back then it wasn't retro.

Fun fact: CSU is the repository seed bank for all seeds in the world (I know that sounds hyperbolic, but it is one of the world's seed banks. The other I know about is Kew Gardens in London). What that means is that if a plant species is wiped out by dought or insects, etc., the plants can be reintroduced. This actually happened in France when some of their vineyards were destroyed by some sort of cilimactic condition.

Anyway, for vet medicine, it's hard to beat CSU!