success pizza - near dukes riverside

willfreeman

Of course. You Brits are so famous for your heavenly cuisine. giggle.gif

Once upon a time you would have been right. British cuisine was appalling, they were renowned for it. But things have changed and the UK can now boast of some very fine restaurants. But this does not mean that they all have a palate that can distinguish between a haddock and a haggis.

I'm a Brit and I was born and raised there, I was in the UK in March and I can confirm that the food is still appalling and if anything it's even worse than it used to be, unless of course you are prepared to pay significant sums of money to eat decent food and to eat healthily.

I am a little confused here. First there is talk of Brit food not being that sensational then there is talk that they have come a long way with many quality restaurants.

My question is are all these quality restaurants serving Brit dishes or dishes from other countries?

I was wondering that too. I've come across British joints here serving pub grub, but never a fine restaurant with British cuisine.

• Like 1

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's Duke's hallmark throughout their menu and I think that it goes a long way to explaining their success.

Dave is a smart businessman. He consistently provides a high quality product at reasonable prices. The service is fast and efficient. If you run a business this way, customers will return and encourage their friends to go as well.

I agree. Which is why Dave is so successful. And, if you are unhappy about anything, just give him a call and he will take care of you - no need to post negative comments on the Internet. He would rather give a comp meal and have you be happy, return again and again and invite your friends to return again. He definitely understands the "big picture" in business.

Don't mean at all to be argumentative, or at least that is not my point of what I am going to say, but why are you posting that there is no need to post negative comments on the internet. Sounds like your promoting censorship as the internet is a good place one can post how and what they feel. This does not have anything to do w/Dave and Dukes, as I have always found him more than accommodating, friendly, professional etc. and have had some good and not so good (but by far more good) meals at Dukes and River Market. But to me it sound like the Dave's Cult I've heard about (good gig if you can get one! - lol). For sure there is enough good posts to out weigh any bad ones just on this thread alone. I once had, and posted about, a bad dining experience we had at Duke's at the Night Bazzar, and did mention the circumstances of the probable cause. There are many reasons why one might want to post something, good or bad, about any place. But it's up to the them. I for one will speak to the manager on hand if there is a problem but will not call the owner unless it's a terrible event (abuse, theft etc.) or I know him personally (which I do of Dave but chose not to that time) and will not bother him over every little thing (nor do I choose to post about them either). But if I don't doesn't mean someone else shouldn't if they want to. If a restaurant does not have an on duty manager that can do his job it's not mine to do it and look for a resolution by calling the owner ect. It's part of being a restaurantuer, training staff, having a chain of command (having the manager call the owner if nec. which the staff at the old Old Bell did once when they did not know how to handle a coupon) and most importantly anticipating customer's needs! I have and will continue to go back to Dave's places and post about them when I feel strongly about something, but can not believe on an open forum you are telling people not to post whatever they want (with-in reason and the rules).

I appreciate your posts and for the most part find them very good. How ever could you do an old man a favor and use a few paragraph's.

As for negative posts I for one would like to hear if the poster had in any way tried to rectify the problem. some posters do say they talked to the manager others just condemn the whole place.

I guess you could say I am some what of a Dave cult as I know him to be real. I have personally seen him turn to a cook coming on shift point right at him and tell him to go wash his hands. I know that he pays a higher price than most restaurants for his supplies to obtain a better quality of product.

Like he says your taste might not know the difference but your body will. Check out his kitchens and rest rooms they are clean. There are no animals running around in them.

Like junglechief says you should be able to go to the manager with a complaint. I have not found it necessary to do so but I would not hesitate if I did, Dave has no problems with complaints he listens fixes the problem and learns from it.

The only complaints I have ever had was when he would change the menu at Riverside Market. He listened and on one occasion produces a heaping plate of the discontinued item. He did mention that I was not the only one to mention it to him and he was considering bringing it back.

I am still going to try the Pizza at success Pizza. As I do not find Dukes to be much better than the others in town that I have tried.

• Like 1

Dave is a smart businessman. He consistently provides a high quality product at reasonable prices. The service is fast and efficient. If you run a business this way, customers will return and encourage their friends to go as well.

I agree. Which is why Dave is so successful. And, if you are unhappy about anything, just give him a call and he will take care of you - no need to post negative comments on the Internet. He would rather give a comp meal and have you be happy, return again and again and invite your friends to return again. He definitely understands the "big picture" in business.

Don't mean at all to be argumentative, or at least that is not my point of what I am going to say, but why are you posting that there is no need to post negative comments on the internet. Sounds like your promoting censorship as the internet is a good place one can post how and what they feel. This does not have anything to do w/Dave and Dukes, as I have always found him more than accommodating, friendly, professional etc. and have had some good and not so good (but by far more good) meals at Dukes and River Market. But to me it sound like the Dave's Cult I've heard about (good gig if you can get one! - lol). For sure there is enough good posts to out weigh any bad ones just on this thread alone. I once had, and posted about, a bad dining experience we had at Duke's at the Night Bazzar, and did mention the circumstances of the probable cause. There are many reasons why one might want to post something, good or bad, about any place. But it's up to the them. I for one will speak to the manager on hand if there is a problem but will not call the owner unless it's a terrible event (abuse, theft etc.) or I know him personally (which I do of Dave but chose not to that time) and will not bother him over every little thing (nor do I choose to post about them either). But if I don't doesn't mean someone else shouldn't if they want to. If a restaurant does not have an on duty manager that can do his job it's not mine to do it and look for a resolution by calling the owner ect. It's part of being a restaurantuer, training staff, having a chain of command (having the manager call the owner if nec. which the staff at the old Old Bell did once when they did not know how to handle a coupon) and most importantly anticipating customer's needs! I have and will continue to go back to Dave's places and post about them when I feel strongly about something, but can not believe on an open forum you are telling people not to post whatever they want (with-in reason and the rules).

I appreciate your posts and for the most part find them very good. How ever could you do an old man a favor and use a few paragraph's.

As for negative posts I for one would like to hear if the poster had in any way tried to rectify the problem. some posters do say they talked to the manager others just condemn the whole place.

I guess you could say I am some what of a Dave cult as I know him to be real. I have personally seen him turn to a cook coming on shift point right at him and tell him to go wash his hands. I know that he pays a higher price than most restaurants for his supplies to obtain a better quality of product.

Like he says your taste might not know the difference but your body will. Check out his kitchens and rest rooms they are clean. There are no animals running around in them.

Like junglechief says you should be able to go to the manager with a complaint. I have not found it necessary to do so but I would not hesitate if I did, Dave has no problems with complaints he listens fixes the problem and learns from it.

The only complaints I have ever had was when he would change the menu at Riverside Market. He listened and on one occasion produces a heaping plate of the discontinued item. He did mention that I was not the only one to mention it to him and he was considering bringing it back.

I am still going to try the Pizza at success Pizza. As I do not find Dukes to be much better than the others in town that I have tried.

Dave's OK with complaints but he does quiz you pretty closely when you call him on something gone wrong. But on one occasion he brought us a complimentary bottle of wine after a compliant that I'm not honestly sure that we were correct about.

• Like 1

I always find it amusing when yankeedoodles harp on about food... sort of akin to Eskimos ruminating nanotechnology.

Once upon a time you would have been right. British cuisine was appalling, they were renowned for it. But things have changed and the UK can now boast of some very fine restaurants. But this does not mean that they all have a palate that can distinguish between a haddock and a haggis.

Steak and kidney pie

Cornish pasty

Roast beef, Yorkshire pudding and roast potatoes

Roast turkey and pigs in blankets

Apple pie

All good British food, but that's about all that was worth mentioning

I always find it amusing when yankeedoodles harp on about food... sort of akin to Eskimos ruminating nanotechnology.

Steak and kidney pie

Cornish pasty

Apple pie

And the American cuisine is?

Burgers

Ribs

Doughnuts

Really don't think any of the above are worth mentioning!

• Like 2

Steak and kidney pie

Cornish pasty

Apple pie

Burgers

Ribs

Doughnuts

You forgot

Key Lime Pie

Gumbo

Jambalaya

Clam chowder

Steak and kidney pie

Cornish pasty

Apple pie

Burgers

Ribs

Doughnuts

You forgot

Key Lime Pie

Gumbo

Jambalaya

Clam chowder

I rest my case M'Lord thumbsup.gif

Edited by pgthompson
  • Like 1

Steak and kidney pie

Cornish pasty

Apple pie

Burgers

Ribs

Doughnuts

You forgot

Key Lime Pie

Gumbo

Jambalaya

Clam chowder

Oh dear, all those dishes are anything but Amrican by origin, one is actually British:

http://www.key-largo-sunsets.com/history-of-key-lime-pie.html

Bahamian

http://www.neatorama.com/2010/01/01/the-mysterious-history-of-gumbo/

French, carib.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jambalaya

Spanish/French Carib

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/ChowderHistory.htm

France, Brittany, Cornwall

• Like 1

Your links point out that pretty much every cuisine has been influenced by others. Thai cuisine was strongly influenced by Chinese and Indian and pasta was invented by the Chinese but spaghetti is still considered Italian.
Cajun Fried Turkey or Texas Smoked Turkey
Smoked Brisket Buffalo Burgers.
Collard greens and jalapeno cornbread
jalapeno hush puppies
Pecan pie
Pumpkin pie
Boston baked beans

Homemade buttermilk biscuits

Whole Maine lobster

Kansas City barbecue ribs

Philly Cheese Steak

Saltwater taffy

Fluffernutter sandwich

Black and white cookies

BLT with thick-cut applewood bacon

Collards with vinegar and Tabasco

Fried green tomatoes

Shrimp and grits

Chicken fried steak

etc. etc.

Edited by Ulysses G.

jalapeno hush puppies
Pecan pie
Pumpkin pie
Boston baked beans

Whole Maine lobster

Philly Cheese Steak

Saltwater taffy

Fluffernutter sandwich

Black and white cookies

Fried green tomatoes

Shrimp and grits

Chicken fried steak

etc. etc.

You really are struggling. giggle.gif

Steak and kidney pie

Cornish pasty

Apple pie

Burgers

Ribs

Doughnuts

You forgot to put hot dogs on your list or you thought it was worth mentioning so intentionally left it off. I noticed you skipped grits also.smile.png

Youre all making me feel hungry now - 2112 / dominoes etc aint the real deal -having spent 12 holidays in sicily i can tell you the best place was - bella napoli - the real pizza will have an olive in the middle & plenty of mozzarella

• Like 1

Your links point out that pretty much every cuisine has been influenced by others. Thai cuisine was strongly influenced by Chinese and Indian and pasta was invented by the Chinese but spaghetti is still considered Italian.
jalapeno hush puppies
Pecan pie
Pumpkin pie
Boston baked beans

Whole Maine lobster

Philly Cheese Steak

Saltwater taffy

Fluffernutter sandwich

Black and white cookies

Fried green tomatoes

Shrimp and grits

Chicken fried steak

etc. etc.

O.K. you win - I give up. What is a fluffernutter sandwich?

Ok, so back to the original topic if we may...

I've paid a visit to Success Pizza and can now share my thoughts:

Environment: It's definitely more a Thai pizza place than an Italian pizza place, or an American pizza place; price accordingly. The place has a more authentic family feel i.e. Thai Mum & Dad with the kids then most other venues i've been to. Even with the constant cars whizzing by, an open air place with a view of the river pretty much wins over anything else for mine. The service was friendly, non obtrusive and efficient.

The Food: The pizza i had was a thin crust, sao like as described previously, with a uninspiring tasting base and toppings with potential, but not quite delivering. My GF had the chicken breast wrapped in ham (supposedly bacon) with a creamy white wine (read carbonara) sauce. The pizza i would rate as average, and below par if you have tried pizza in many different parts of the world. The dish my GF had had a lot more flavour, and as such was the better dish.

Verdict: I would dine here again with Thai's, but would not go out of my way to visit again on my own. If i do return i will most likely order a pasta dish or something else from their adequate menu.

I rate my dining out preferences in the following order: 1. Taste. 2. Ambiance. 3. Value. 4. Quantity.

Therefore my current Chiang Mai pizza ratings based on personal experience are as follows:

1. Porcini

2. Dukes

3. Sucess

4. Billy's

5. Mike's on Loi Kroh

Yet you rate their pizza as high as number three in CM.

I didn't read anything positive about it in your post.

BTW I had pizza at Billy's....never again!

Environment: It's definitely more a Thai pizza place than an Italian pizza place, or an American pizza place; price accordingly. The place has a more authentic family feel i.e. Thai Mum & Dad with the kids then most other venues i've been to. Even with the constant cars whizzing by, an open air place with a view of the river pretty much wins over anything else for mine. The service was friendly, non obtrusive and efficient.

The Food: The pizza i had was a thin crust, sao like as described previously, with a uninspiring tasting base and toppings with potential, but not quite delivering. My GF had the chicken breast wrapped in ham (supposedly bacon) with a creamy white wine (read carbonara) sauce. The pizza i would rate as average, and below par if you have tried pizza in many different parts of the world. The dish my GF had had a lot more flavour, and as such was the better dish.

Verdict: I would dine here again with Thai's, but would not go out of my way to visit again on my own. If i do return i will most likely order a pasta dish or something else from their adequate menu.

I rate my dining out preferences in the following order: 1. Taste. 2. Ambiance. 3. Value. 4. Quantity.

Therefore my current Chiang Mai pizza ratings based on personal experience are as follows:

1. Porcini

2. Dukes

3. Sucess

4. Billy's

5. Mike's on Loi Kroh

Number 1 on your list is Porcini. Is that a typo of Puccini?

1. Porcini

2. Dukes

3. Sucess

4. Billy's

5. Mike's on Loi Kroh

Number 1 on your list is Porcini. Is that a typo of Puccini?

Correct. Mushrooms on the mind!

1. Porcini

2. Dukes

3. Sucess

4. Billy's

5. Mike's on Loi Kroh

I find that confusing too. Shouldn't Mad Dog, Paradise Pizza, Da Stephanos and others should be higher on the list according to your description of Success Pizza? ermm.gif

1. Porcini

2. Dukes

3. Sucess

4. Billy's

5. Mike's on Loi Kroh

Based on the places that i've visited, they get to number 3 via ambiance and value, not on pizza!

1. Porcini

2. Dukes

3. Sucess

4. Billy's

5. Mike's on Loi Kroh

Based on the places that i've visited, they get to number 3 via ambiance and value, not on pizza!

I'll agree that Success Pizza is a pleasant enough place to sit and eat. I haven't tried the pizza at all the places on your list though.

Edited by AngelsLariat

If only we had invented Bangers and Mash.

As a study of food history I just wanted to clarify. The American's originated it and named it the Hot Dog and they stole it from us and afterwards the German's named a city after if called Hamburg.

If only we had invented Bangers and Mash.

As a study of food history I just wanted to clarify. The American's originated it and named it the Hot Dog and they stole it from us and afterwards the German's named a city after if called Hamburg.

There is no conclusive proof where sausages originated. As for Hamburg, It's actually Frankfurt!

1. Porcini

2. Dukes

3. Sucess

4. Billy's

5. Mike's on Loi Kroh

If its ambiance you're after try one of the waterfalls on Doi Suthep. But for Pizza try the Dukes.

• Like 1