Arriving on a one-way ticket. 30 day on arrival, non-immigrant B visa, work permit

Hi everyone,

I have done some research on this and read other posts but am unsure of what decision to make.

I haven't booked my ticket yet but I will be flying from the UK and arriving in Bangkok. My plan is to teach English for an indefinite amount of time. It could be 6 months, 1 year, 2 years etc etc. As I have no idea of when I will be returning to the UK I was planning on just purchasing a one-way ticket.

Will I encounter any problems when trying to acquire the above?

As always any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

I have deleted an off-topic post. This topic is about possible complications with air travel from the UK to Thailand, presumably by a UK national, without a visa and without a confirmed onward flight out of Thailand within 30 days from arrival.

The Thai consulates in Hull or Birmingham might be better bets for a 60-day tourist visa than the London Embassy.

You will need to be sponsored by your currently non-existent Thai employer for a non-B visa (as well as a work permit).

Edited by OJAS

Thank you for your responses so far.

I am planning on arriving in Thailand, search for a job, get a job offer then going to a neighboring country to get my non-immigrant B visa then get a work permit.

I live in the West Midlands so can easily go to the Thai consulate in Birmingham. So if I get my tourist visa sorted in the UK then I am fine to arrive in Thailand on a one-way ticket? Is that correct?

Thanks again.

The problem one faces with a one-way ticket is that the airline, at point of departure, may refuse to let you on the flight.

I (potentially) had this problem flying SYD-KUL with AAsia last year.

But I flashed a photocopy of a Malaysia rail booking, Buttterworth - HadYai, that I had made the day before the flight.

OK I was flying into Malaysia not LOS but read on...

If anyone is flying to LOS on a one-way, worth getting a friend here to buy you a rail ticket Hadyai - Padang Besar,

then scan and email copy of ticket. AA

Over the years I've flown in to Thailand on a one-way ticket a few times without hassle. However, the last time I did, 18 months ago, I was asked to show proof of onward journey or they weren't going to let me board. Luckily I had my employment contract from work, and I explained that it was my intention to travel onwards to Vientianne to get my non-imm 'B' a couple of weeks after I arrived. The check-in girl had to phone her supervisor but they did let me fly; it was a close call though.

The problem one faces with a one-way ticket is that the airline, at point of departure, may refuse to let you on the flight.

I (potentially) had this problem flying SYD-KUL with AAsia last year.

But I flashed a photocopy of a Malaysia rail booking, Buttterworth - HadYai, that I had made the day before the flight.

OK I was flying into Malaysia not LOS but read on...

If anyone is flying to LOS on a one-way, worth getting a friend here to buy you a rail ticket Hadyai - Padang Besar,

then scan and email copy of ticket. AA

But that has nothing to do with Thailand flights and visa exempt entry - that is a Malaysia rule for onward tickets. Thailand has no such rule for anything but visa exempt entry. And rail tickets would not normally be accepted by airlines as they have no way to check validity.

Nationals of Australia not holding a return/onward ticket
could be either requested to purchase one or refused entry.

The only time I have seen bus tickets accepted was for travel in Cambodia several years ago for a brief period when there were border checks of outbound travel being made. Airlines would normally want to see an airline ticket if really concerned.

My experience has been that in recent times, some airlines have begun questioning me when traveling to Thailand on a one way ticket but I always tell them I have an outbound ticket, without having to show it (indeed I wouldn't bother bringing it along). Some years ago I was asked to show a credit card at Hong Kong airport; in all cases I didn't have a Thai visa in my passport. My Vietnamese friend was asked to sign a waiver when checking in for a one-way Lufthansa flight from Ho Chi Minh to Bangkok - so the airlines usually don't refuse you outright, they can ask for credit cards, indemnity waivers or even just verbal confirmation of proof of outbound travel. I have never heard of airlines enforcing a "we need to see a hard copy of your outbound ticket" policy when you will almost certainly be allowed to fly anyway. Just showing you have enough cash and/or credit/debit cards should be enough to convince any agent you have the means to purchase a ticket out if necessary.

But just to be safe, getting a tourist visa would be the way to go as then the airlines won't require an onward ticket. Or book a flight on THAI to any non-Thai destination but select the "pay later" option. Print that out and show it at the check-in counter. You'll get on board and everything will be fine that way.

Or book a flight on THAI to any non-Thai destination but select the "pay later" option. Print that out and show it at the check-in counter. You'll get on board and everything will be fine that way.

Many thanks for this tip. I might just do this so as to forestall any difficulties I might encounter at CDG on Saturday with an extension of stay and re-entry permit (see my postings on the thread at http://www.thaivisa....t-for-thailand/).

Thanks everyone. I will definitely get a tourist visa from the Thai consulate in Birmingham before I head to LOS. After following the link that OJAS posted (thanks OJAS) I think I will be fine.

My pleasure! Good luck with your Thai venture.

• Like 1